Welcome to the Jets Tyron Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Frenbar, Mar 15, 2024.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'd be interested in learning about those incentives. Joe Douglas has a checkered history with stuff like that when it comes to injury prone OL.

2. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Good move and it sounds like if he plays a certain amount of games he can make more. Love that JD does that have to give him credit for that. Now we need a WR and draft a few young OLine

Borat likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, it's a one year deal, so not much of a future sacrifice here. I get your point about injury concerns, and it is valid. If a guy of that caliber weren't injury prone, he would not be available just now on a 1 year deal, we all understand that. I would not call this a slam dunk signing, there are risks. But he did play in 14 games last year including play-offs. we are banking on him to repeat what he has done last year. That is not unreasonable ask and has a fair probability of happening. We do need a starting caliber back-up. This is why I still say we need to get OT early in the draft. But getting a guy like Smith is a very positive development, even with the associated risks.

4. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

At $6.5m guaranteed I'd be having a meltdown if I was a Pats fan right now. I legit figured with all the crazy cap room they had there was no way they were letting him slide to us.

They really are gonna Mac Jones this new QB coming in again.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

NO!!! That's the last thing we need is another LT who can't stay healthy. We need a younger, healthy LT to back up Smith, not someone with an even worse injury history.

Brook! and Borat like this.
  6. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Hard to believe theyre still going to draft OT at 10 overall. But who knows- maybe JD has a chip on his shoulder with the Oline.

if top receiver is available and they took Oline i dunno- would be tough pill to swallow. Their WR corps is thinnnn

7. NCJetsfan

I disagree. He was really the only viable option at LT for the Jets for this season. He was the highest-rated OT in pass protection this past season and is still playing at a very high level. Yes, he has an injury history, but it's a gamble the Jets have to take. Who else was going to play LT? There's no way that either Alt or Fashanu will fall to the Jets in the draft. Hopefully we can trade down a little and get Fautanu to back up Smith.

8. NCJetsfan

How is Bakhtiari injury insurance? He only played 1 game last season, 11 games in 2022, and 1 game in 2021. More than likely, he'll go down with an injury before Smith will. Even if Smith and Moses stay healthy all year, they are only on 1-year deals, and the Jets will be back to no OTs again next season. They have to draft an OT at #10. I understand the desire to add a Nabers or Odunze, but it's just not realistic or good roster building.

Kronoking and Borat like this.
  9. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Obviously we don't know what the incentives are but if they are linked to the games he plays this is a fantastic deal. If he plays the whole season at the level he did last year he is well worth it.

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Looks like the Jets are moving away from zone blocking….all the guys they grabbed are good in gap blocking…let’s get to it!

11. NCJetsfan

It's NOT overkill. Smith will go down at some point, and that OT would be the starter, and hopefully, will be the starter for the next 10+ years at LT. The Jets can't count on finding two new OTs in next year's draft. Chances are it won't be a good draft for OT like this one is.

The offense won't go anywhere if the OL isn't fixed.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

6.5 guaranteed. Another bargain by JD. This is less guaranteed than Kinlaw. Unreal. Need a good back-up though.

13. NCJetsfan

There is no "might" play. He will definitely play this year and will learn from Smith and then be the starter next year. They can still sign a FA WR and draft one.

ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

They won't get an OT worth a damn in the 3rd round. It's take one in the first or not get one.

Borat likes this.
  15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

1) JD absolutely should have a chip on his shoulder for Oline. For his so called specialty I’ve never seen so many whiffs.

2) credit where it’s due. These have been good signings and he’s plugged 3 holes at least short term. He’s not sitting on his hands for once and I like the work done tbh

3) he should absolutely draft another Tackle if the opportunity presents. There’s no depth and no future that can be depended on, and that’s what the draft is about. These moves give flexibility in the draft which is how it should be.
    If Alt is there take him. If he’s not and Oduze is there then take him. QB should be in play also 100%. If JD actually took a QB I’d even be back onboard with him for looking out for the future.
    If we sign another T, and I’d be onboard if we did, that might signal their thoughts more on drafting a T in round 1. But nothing else done signifies to me that they won’t.

ouchy and KY Jets Fan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Why is it hard to believe? They certainly won't get a quality OT prospect in the 3rd round. Why would it be a tough pill to swallow? That makes no sense to me. The odds of Smith staying healthy the whole season are nil. He's only on a 1-year deal, and the Jets need a starter for the future. There are no guarantees that next year's draft will be deep in OTs again, and if the Jets are successful this season, they won't be in a position to get one even if there are a few. The only sensible thing is to draft an LT if they can, and if not draft their future RT so at least they have one of the OT positions for next year. G. Wilson is our #1 WR. We don't need a Nabers or Odunze. Sure it would be nice to have another great WR, but it's a luxury not a necessity. Getting a future starting OT in this year's draft is a necessity.

#76 NCJetsfan, Mar 16, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  17. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Fuck yeah!!! This off season is a win. Anything else that happens is icing on the cake.

Now all options are on the table at #10. They could still go OT, but they don't have to.

NOVAJET, KY Jets Fan and Lon Chaney like this.
  18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Just when I think JD couldn't get any dumber he does a complete 180 and starts to turn things around.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Jets sign one of the top LTs on the market to a team friendly deal and there are still people here complaining? Anyone who criticizes this deal is just flat out miserable. Great move by JD

NCJetsfan, NOVAJET and KY Jets Fan like this.
  20. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.