Jets grant Zach Wilson permission to seek trade.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Feb 28, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I usually take a break after regular season leading up to FA to ….. refresh. LOL

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I'm probably wrong, but I don't see the jets getting jack for Zach. Why would any team want Zach as a #2 QB?? He showed last year he can't be a reliable backup. If the jets, who owe him $11M won't have him at #2, why would any other team??
    I still think the jets will have to PAY another team a draft pick or two to take Zach's salary, and/or may have to pay a large chunk of Zach's salary to another team to take him. More likely is an outright release, the jets eat the salary, and he winds up being a #3 on some team or practice squad for 2 years.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Tom, I disagree. You're letting your frustration and hatred color your vision. Zach didn't show any such thing last year (that he can't be a reliable backup). He only showed that he couldn't be a reliable backup in the Jets' situation. How could a QB who wins Player of the Week not be able to at least be a reliable backup? Zach has talent. With the OL the Jets had last season, with only 1 reliable WR, the lack of discipline and cohesion on offense, and with Hackett as OC, no QB could have succeeded last season. As Borat pointed out, Zach was better than Siemian, and Siemian keeps getting work, as does Boyle. You're also forgetting the dearth of talent at QB in the NFL. There are not enough quality QBs to go around. AT least one team, and perhaps several will think that they can "fix" the issues that Zach has, by giving him better coaching, a system that fits his talents, better play calling, better discipline and cohesion on their offense, a better OL and a competent OC.

dmw, ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Zach improved in 2023. That is the crazy part of it all. He clearly was better than Boyle and Seimian. It was a year he was supposed to sit and learn too.

I think he will end up a back-up on a new team and will eventually start again in 2025.

What can the Jets get for him? Not sure. He wants out. They want him gone. Hard to get anything when other teams know that, plus they know he needs to sit and learn. We will see what Joe Douglas can do.

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Say what? Hatred? Who or what do I supposedly "hate?" Pretty strong accusation, Craig. As a Christian, I try not to harbor that kind of emotion, and how could anybody "hate" someone/something over a football game or team?
    Posting something occasionally about what the jets should do or have done is one thing, but branding it as hatred or hate speech is quite something else.
    I guess you really don't like it when someone doesn't agree with you on your boy Zach.

And regarding your proposed "fix" for Zach, you write that apparently all he needs is:
    better coaching
    a system that fits his talents
    better play calling
    better discipline and cohesion on offense
    a better OL
    and a competent OC

Wow, is that ALL he needs, Craig? Just those SIX things?? . So those of us who thought pre-draft and still think he is/was a bad pick by Douglas apparently don't/didn't realize Zach is SO close.
    I just thought Zach wasn't very good.
    I didn't realize he is/was such of a "victim" of so many things beyond his control.

stinkyB, abyzmul and Ralebird like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Tom, I didn't mean "hate" in the literal sense, but in the sense of when a sports fan doesn't like a player or think they're good, they're a "hater." Sorry, I thought you would understand what I meant by that. I'm not accusing you of actually hating him as a person or wishing him harm or of using "hate speech."

I couldn't care less whether you agree with me. If you don't like him (in the sense that you don't think he's any good), fine. I have no problem with that. IMO you and several others here are over the top in your comments about Zach.

If you can't understand that the things I listed a bove would make it very difficult for a QB to play at a high level, or that your comments are over the top, then I can't help you.

ColoradoContrails, Borat and tomdeb like this.
  7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

minor details....

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

9. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Let's see if the 49'ers want him. Kyle supposedly wanted Zach BAD and of course we blew it by not trading the pick and keeping Darnold (had we done that, we probably make the playoffs the last few years).

All in all, the drafting of Zach Wilson is probably going to go down as the worst draft pick in NY Jets history, given he was taken at #2 and what we could have gotten for the pick.

Blair Thomas, Ron Faurot, Christian Hackenberg, Vernon Ghoulston, etc....are all off the hook. :D

SackRecord99 and tomdeb like this.
  10. JetsKickAss

I want to know WHY they drafted Zach and why Saleh's pleas to keep Darnold were ignored.

99% of us here on these forums NEVER heard of this guy in 2019. He plays against glorified high school players a year later before cardboard cutouts and empty stadiums and now we take him #2 overall ? :mad:

I still don't know how that happened. :mad:

11. JetsKickAss

The fact that Mark Sanchez, Christian Hackenberg, and Sam Darnold never excelled away from MetLife would say otherwise.

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think you're in agreement...

And Hackenberg is a successful coach.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  13. SackRecord99

SackRecord99 Member

For the truthers who seemed to think Z had somehow distinguished himself as a cut above Mac Jones (a low bar!), Pats being able to trade him for a sixth would strongly demonstrate otherwise. Mac professional and competent enough to be relied upon as an actual backup. Z been pounding pavement for a couple weeks now with nothing but a couple of rumors floated by his camp through the Deseret news. Clown.

tomdeb and ouchy like this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If Jones only got a 6th than Zach's value is probably rock bottom. Jones has been much better with much less.

A 6th for Jones is a great value, as he is only going to cost the Jags 1 million. I gotta believe he coulda gotten more if he wasn't such an unlikable douche. It wouldn't have been a bad move to solve our backup problem. But JD isn't going to sign a QB he passed over for Zach.

15. NCJetsfan

I disagree. I don't think a 6th for Jones is great value. I think he's not very talented. While Jones has been better than Zach so far, he has little talent, and no upside. Zach is much more talented and still has a good bit of upside.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You don't think a 6th is a good value for a career 85.8 passer who only costs a million dollars? He has the potential to be as productive a Goff with the right weapons. He is a perfect backup option for a team like us.

17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I agree. Douglas' decision to draft Bechton, Zach and McDonald should have gotten him fired. Wasting our first round pick 3 out of 4 years and yet he remains our GM.
    And that is independent of his horrible waste of money on worthless free agents Like Uzomah, Lawson, Tomlinson, and Brown. He gave those 4 alone contracts over $100M and they gave back squat to the jets.

JetsKickAss and Borat like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

No. I think he's a jerk, and he doesn't have an NFL-caliber arm. I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Jets. I don't think he'd come anywhere near that rating with the Jets. I think there were only a few situations in the NFL where he could have played as well as he did.

I don't like Goff's arm, either. I like a QB who has a strong arm and can make all the throws. I don't like QBs who have arms like Chad did after all his rotator cuff injuries and surgeries.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Last year he did just as bad as Zach though. Granted he did not have GW, but he did have a very good OL. Plus I am sure his play caller was better than Hack, simply because it cannot get much worse. Jones regressed every year in NFL. He is a year older than Zach too. At worst it is very similar. Jones does have an advantage that his 4th year cost a lot less than Zach's (about half). So I could see why someone could prefer him. But for us to exchange Zach for Mac does not make much sense IMO.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He wasn't very good back-up last year though. Numbers very similar to Zach's with much better coaching and OL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.