Laken Tomlinson to be released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 26, 2024.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good question. I had no idea that each team only had 2 of the post June 1 designation cuts until you mentioned it. I think they did Tomlinson now because he was so bad, they had no intention of keeping him, felt he had no trade value (and may have checked with other teams), and needed the cap space now to sign FAs. Uzomah won't give that kind of cap space. It will be interesting to see what they do with Mosely. He's a team leader and captain, so they probably will extend him, or do the void years thing with him if they haven't already. I'd be surprised if they traded or cut him, but I believe that he would have trade value.

tomdeb likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

I guess it could happen. He was a good player with SF, although not great, but at the time, I thought it was a good signing. Not now. With the mess here between Hackett and Carter, that could be at the root of Tomlinson's issues, but he didn't have Carter or Hackett as excuses in 2022 and was still terrible.

mezzavo and Centiment like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I said it many times before. Most of the OC staff starting with Carter is aweful. Everyone pretty much
    on his watch under underperformed.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Let's be real here, When we signed Laken Tomlinson I looked up highlights with the 49ers and found more videos of his getting beaten like a drum than I did actual highlights. He got into the Pro Bowl because Pro Bowl voting is a joke. He played on a very good line and benefited from it, he's average at his best.

tomdeb likes this.
  5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Good point. And Tomlinson on the 49ers was playing with a much better OL than he did w the jets.

NCJetsfan and abyzmul like this.
  6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I agree they will likely keep Mosely.
    Having said that, I won't fall off my chair if they do trade/release him, especially after June 1.
    I read one report that some think Mosely is really slowing down, especially after Flacco and the Browns TE really abused him in coverage near the end of the year.
    Moving him gives us a lot of cap space, and I think Douglas will spend heavy on the OL in free agency.
    Unlikely they move him, but who knows?

NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I understand where your coming from but it doesn't have to work like that. We have to be under the cap by March 13th, and FA negotiations begins on March 11th. We already are under the cap so there is not really a big concern about when we can spend the money, as deals are often structured with the money spread out over years. Which is likely what were going to do in a big way this season anyways. So saving 2 million is a big deal. If were borrowing heavily from the future anyways, lets get something back, or save more money. The rush to get a quick money is just another in a long line of desperate moves by a team that painted themselves into a corner with Aaron Rodgers.

There aren't a slew good guards in FA - there's basically 3 decent ones. I'm not saying trade him straight up. Rather use as leverage in a trade package, or draft move. In the trade scenario Tomilson would cost the team that gets him 6 million. That isn't a lot for a veteran 17 game starter (we paid him 16 million a year). And after the draft your going to see some desperate teams. We'll likely be one of them.

The only caveat is JD has some master plan for the June 1st cuts. For example, post June 1st Lazard could save us 6 million. That is, if Rodgers can handle parting with him. And we could save 11 million on Mosley. But same thing. He has package value in a trade, if we offer to eat some of his money. But he is a big anchor of our current defense with no suitable replacement.

#47 ouchy, Feb 27, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  8. NCJetsfan

I'll give you that it could be desperation move, but we have no proof of that. As I said, JD could have been working the phones trying to find a trade partner for Tomlinson and no one was buying. If that is the case, then it isn't desperation imo. I don't think Tomlinson will have another job in a minute as you or someone else suggested.

I disagree that there aren't a slew of guards available in FA. I don't think I said a slew of good guards, but a slew of OGs, and most of them would have to go a ways to be worse than Tomlinson has been. I'm curious who you think the 3 good OGs are.

I think that Kevin Zeiter and Connor Williams are good. They're getting long in the tooth, but Gabe Jackson and Trai Turner have been very good. Unless they aren't scheme fits or their ability has vanished, they still should be good or at least better than anyone we presently have with the exception of AVT and Tippman. Graham Glasgow is good as he was a starter on one of the best OLs in the NFL. Angus Peat and Cody Whitehair have been pretty good. I think that Nick Allegretti, John Runyan, Dalton Risner are all better than Tomlinson. There are also 10-15 OGs who are younger than 28 whose names I don't recognize, but then I don't keep up with other teams. I find it hard to believe that there aren't at least 7-8, if not 10 or more who are better than Tomlinson, Schweitzer, Austin Deculus, Xavier Newman, and/or Chris Glaser.

#48 NCJetsfan, Feb 27, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    tomdeb, ouchy and Borat like this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, we could have saved a couple of mil this year, but instead we will save it next year. Total dead CAP hit over two years is still the same. I have no problem doing this earlier.

As far as trading him and eating 10 mil, it does not work like you think. The 10 mil on the dead CAP this year is from the CAP savings we had in his two prior years. Meaning it's already done deal, it's in the past, and whether you trade him or cut him, chickens are coming home to roost. Post June 1 just determines whether it will be over two years (whenever possible) or 1 year straight up. In this case it does not really matter much.

However, if you offer to eat 10 mil on THIS YEAR's contract during the trade, you are on a hook for ANOTHER 10 mil on top of the dead CAP of 10 mil you already incurred. This was never going to happen. JD did the right thing here, which happens to also be the simplest possible thing that should have been done: dump his ass and move on. This is a good start.

NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I watched him play OG, and I was pretty excited about potential there too, just like a C. This is not like AVT at OT where he has to make up for physical limitations, such as short arms, with more movement, increasing injury probability, and already having suffered two season ending injuries at that position. Tipp to me looked every bit as good at a OG as he was at C, and is not undersized at all to play either. Still young enough to mold into either one. I do agree that we need to pick one spot for him and stay there, but I would not rule out either one just yet.

Completely agree about not paying 14 mil for a C, that's out of the question. I am just not sure who will be available to us and at what price. Like you said, we need to have someone start at LG too with AVT not being ready in Sept. So, if for example JD is able to get two good Guards as a decent price - you plug them in and leave Tipp at C. But if he can find a solid Guard and high quality C (usually Cs cost less than Gs for similar quality), I would not hesitate to move Tipp to RG and leave him there.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

@NCJetsfan and @Borat, you guys are right. I think I went a little overboard on that misguided tangent.

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

No problem. It's a wonder we ALL aren't in an insane asylum, drunkards, or drug addicts. The Jetst are enough to drive anyone nutty from time to time. Besides, I've been known to go overboard on quite a few misguided tangents, and you overlooked them. It's all good!

ouchy likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Great post!

14. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

As it turned out, the only durable O lineman was the one that sucked. We had other O linemen who also sucked big time but they were not durable like Tomlinson.

15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

After Laken's release, It looks like with 3-4 more moves we can get up to 41-46M in cap space this offseason according to both OTC and Spotrac.

Restructure Quinnen and Quincy, they're both long-term building blocks so this should bother no one.
    Cut Uzomah, saves about 5-6M against the cap. No brainer IMO.
    Trade Zach, OTC is showing this saves us another 5-6M against the cap, but this number could potentially change depending on if the Jets eat more of the contract.

There are some other levers we can pull if we absolutely need to, cut Mosley, restructure JFM, restructure DJ, etc. but whether those happen or not will depend on how much they want to borrow from Peter to pay Paul.

Jets79 and tomdeb like this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And this is why you got my vote for the GM of the Jets: based on the information presented, you can reverse course and make necessary adjustments! :)

ouchy likes this.
  17. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

A one-man argument against the belief that "the best ability is avail-ability". What an awful signing this ended up being.

abyzmul likes this.
  18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think the best thing they said about him when he signed was that he really looked forward to facing Aaron Donald twice a year. Not that he ever won.

19. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Nate Herbig was a better OG than Laken Tomlinson.

stinkyB and abyzmul like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I’d take him back on the cheap as some depth but he was a bum as the terrible signing that Joe Douglas gave us