NFL increases 2024 cap, good news for us

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Feb 23, 2024.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

They increased it 30 million, but some of that is for performance based benefits for retired players. What we end up with is about 14 million added to our 2024 cap, with our current number now at 15 million available. Trading Zach will get it to about 20 million.

The downside is all teams get the 30 million, which means the cost of FAs is likely going to increase as of this morning. Where teams decide to throw that extra money will be very revealing.

Lets spend this money wisely. You got a 14 million dollar windfall, who do you sign with it?

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…saw that

While it doesn’t help us in the competition to sign free agents as much because every team reaps the same benefit of extra cap space, what it DOES do is give us more flexibility in who we may want to cut or keep. If there was a guy where it would have hurt to keep him (Huff)…this opens up the list of possibilities a bit more

ouchy and BradysTornACL like this.
  3. SackRecord99

SackRecord99 Member

All i want to know is does it somehow mean we can get rid of Z wilson once and for all!? I can't handle another season with him. can we just cut him now and take the cap hit.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We can hopefully at least get a 7th for him which would save us another 5 million.

5. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

More likely a pick swap in the 6/7 :)

IDFjet and ouchy like this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this….good topic to discuss

ouchy and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There is really no excuse to let go of Huff now...

IDFjet, Jets79 and ouchy like this.
  8. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Let's hope sleepy Joe is awake enough of the time to use this money wisely. I have MAJOR doubts about htat though.

Borat likes this.
  9. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I don't. I have absolutely no doubt that he'll screw it up yet again this offseason.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I knew you'd come back with that one. ;)

Its still not enough to cover his FT though, and I think he will be looking to get around that much a year from a long term deal. How much money do you want to push into the future, and where will we find the cash to sign our draft class and other FAs? Also, for some reason our cap has been lowered to 12.7 million. I cant find where or why though.

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We can generate about 80 mil of CAP space with various restructures. We won't have to use all - like I said, I highly doubt we will be able to sign many top FAs. There are teams which are 40+ mil over the CAP now, which you can bet will be signing FAs too. We are 15 under. And unused CAP is carried over for next year and CAP increases every year too. I just don't see an issue right now even if we do get some big FAs, and I highly doubt that we will. With this news, tagging Huff is simply a no brainer.

In fact, while I was originally thinking transition tag, now I am thinking franchise tag as the difference shrunk between projected and real values and the CAP increased more than projected too. This way no one can even talk to him and he will basically be forced to take our longer term offer. Hence while I would be OK even with transition too, I prefer franchise at this point. But tag must happen, and it an easy call with the latest developments.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Good one there Andy. He did fall asleep after (actually during) the Rodgers trade last year. I do think he is awake now though, having retained his job by the skin of his teeth (aka Aaron Rodgers). There will not be a 6th chance though (I think).

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

JD could renegotiate a few contracts and even cut some dead wood, and the Jets could wind up with upwards of $25 million, maybe more. I'm all for signing FA OL, backup QB, and WR too if there's cap space, but imo weakening the D to strengthen the Offense will be a wash. Saleh's/Ulbrich's D is predicated on getting pressure on the QB. Huff is our best pass rusher. We can't count on McDonald yet. JFM is a solid player, but he isn't worth keeping over Huff. If need be, I trade or cut JFM to be able to fit Huff in under the cap.

Borat likes this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It makes zero sense to tag a player for the entire cap bump when the guy has never played 3 downs.

LAJet likes this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Maybe he should. Jets coaches always underutilized him. In 2022 they didn't even activate for the 1st 3 games. This year he was used sparingly until KC game. JD did not extend him last summer when he could have for pennies on the dollar, and the contributing factor likely was that the coaches didn't play him enough. And yet whenever he played, he delivered. Much more than anyone else on the team in pass rushing department, while still being average in running game. Regardless, after KC game he played in 50% of snaps, which is starter caliber % in Saleh system.

What I want to see happen next year is Clemons playing much more limited role. He is OK 3d stringer, but with McD,. Huff, and JJ he should only play in case of injury or a few snaps here and there. JFM could take over Jefferson interior role and fewer Edge snaps. Then there will be plenty of snaps for JJ, Huff, and McD next year and the pass rush should be even better.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Agreed. Just because Huff has never played 3 downs in a series doesn't mean that he can't or shouldn't have been playing 3 downs. IMO it's flawed reasoning to say that because he hasn't played all 3 downs the Jets shouldn't tag him. If that's the case, then I guess the Jets shouldn't have given Q the big contract because earlier in his career, he was only playing 40% or the snaps. The same goes for JJ and any other DL. Has JJ played all 3 downs consistently? JFM? No, that's because Saleh/Ulbrich want to rotate their DL to keep them fresh. After he was signed by the Jets, I watched all the college video of Huff that I could find. He was good vs. the run and he was a full-time player in college. I always have thought that Saleh and Ulbrich were wrong in not playing him more and utilizing him more creatively. He just needed more reps and playing time to develop more fully. With his speed and athleticism, I think he probably could have dropped into coverage and been a good coverage LB as well. I firmly believe that if Huff goes to another team he's going to be a full-time starter and he's going to play at a very high level, and has the ability to play at an All Pro level.

Borat likes this.
  17. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Sign our best pass rusher in more than a decade.

Real no brainer.

18. abyzmul

Yeah maybe he should. Are you willing to bet 20-30 million in cap space for one season that Robert Saleh and Meat Head are flexible enough to change their beloved system for one player? Ask Sauce how that's working out.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Why 30? Franchise tag is 21, and it will be less annually after Huff accepts a longer term deal with more overall guarantees. Huff was getting 50% of the snaps since KC game towards the end of the season and did a lot of damage. Even if this stays the same, I think it will be a good use of 21 mil, but I do think Saleh can give him more time and price per annum will be lower when it is all said and done.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. abyzmul

The franchise tag is currently that much, if Joe Douglas drags his ass and tags him at the last minute, it will probably be more since every team in the league has a shitload more money to spend. It's NFL inflation.