The myth of "Parity" in the NFL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Jan 28, 2024.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

The Yankees have won on world series in the past 22 years.

After 30 years, it has clearly NOT evened the playing field, the results support this. And again, I ask, how does allowing more money to be spent prevent owners from making smart decisions?

2. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Exactly. The same argument can be made regarding expanded playoffs, and adding a game to the regular season. Keep cities involved and tuned in deeper into the calendar.

#22 LogeSection2RowJ, Jan 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
    jets_fan and stinkyB like this.
  3. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

You would be absolutely shocked how many people know nothing about the business side of football. Nothing at all. And at the end of the day, there is parity. It doesn't translate unless you put the exact same person in the exact same position on every team and let the chips fall where they may with the draft. You still have to have a competent scouting staff, coaching staff, and more to develop the players you draft.

The teams that win consistently are the ones that do that properly. The ones who don't do that don't win. Every once in a while you get lightning in a bottle, but it's rare.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They should get rid of that salary cap. There is no parity and the league, in terms of quality play, is as bad as I've seen it in my life.

HackettSuxTNG likes this.
  5. HackettSuxTNG

These elements still exist in a model that does not have a salary cap

6. The_Darksider

Understand that I am not defending the use of a salary cap, just defending the spirit in which it is employed. But the Green Bay Packers, a storied franchise that competes with every big boy in the league because they are able to draft and develop players properly, would turn into the Tampa Bay Rays. They would draft and develop players that would ultimately feed the teams willing to spend.

Without a minor-league system to sustain some of the smaller market teams, it would get ugly in a hurry.

I guess maybe I am depending a salary cap. Lol especially in a sport where players go directly from college.

7. HackettSuxTNG

I have no issue with it being tried or deployed. At some point, we need to take a look at the results and re-evaluate if it is working or not.

8. The_Darksider

Fair enough, but unless you can point to a group of teams that are very well run, develop their players well, and somehow don't compete, they are never going to listen. The really bad teams don't compete, and that's solely because they are poorly run.

Ralebird likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There are a bunch of things the NFL can do to make the system better.

One - fix the comp pick system. It’s always favored the better teams but it now favors teams with good quarterbacks even more. I don’t know how to fix it but it doesn’t make sense that the good teams should continually be rewarded with more picks.

Two - Bird rights. Not sure how to deploy it but it’s about the only thing the NBA does correctly. Teams should be able to retain their own players at a somewhat reasonable rate without being penalized by the cap. There would have to be restrictions (i.e. you can only use it on one player a free agency or something), but it seems like it’d be cool to get a 5% discount because you recognized a talent and drafted well.

Three - some sort of penalty for cap violations? Feels like the Saints have been over the cap for a decade and they never have a problem retaining or signing anyone.

Four - they need to figure out the league wide offensive line issue. Wasn’t there a record number of QB’s that played this year? Maybe just cause we’re the Jets but it seems like these guys drop like flies around the league.

Leicester Jet and NYJalltheway like this.
  10. HackettSuxTNG

How does this promote parity?

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

with no salary cap, scouting, coaching and developing players is even more important, not less important

12. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Aren't we being naive in thinking parity is the purpose of the cap? This is the NFL, where greed always trumps the good of the game.

The cap keeps salaries in line. That's why the MLB players' association has fought tooth and nail against a cap. Each NFL team has to field a roster and put 22 men on the field every Sunday. If there's a ceiling on how much teams can spend to do so, it keeps salaries lower than they would be without a cap.

What the NFL wants to foster is the illusion of parity. It wants each fan base to believe its team can reach the playoffs. It has set things up to keep playoff hopes alive for as many teams for as long as possible.

The reality is that there can never be true parity because:

1. teams with a top-flight QB have a tremendous advantage over teams without one;

2. teams with well-run front offices will be able to navigate the cap better than those with lousy front offices. Just think of the teams that always seem to be in cap hell.

3. teams that draft well have a leg up because players on their first contract are usually cheaper than players who hit free agency.

4. Teams with smart coaching staffs have an advantage because good coaches get the best out of the players on their rosters. Other coaches don't.

13. HackettSuxTNG

Great Post.

I can only go by what I was told, and "parity" was the message from the NFL when the salary cap was introduced.

I would agree with this.

Again. I will buy this from the time of the salary cap's inception, and a number of years after that. But when you reach the point that 22 AFC Championships in the past 29 years have been won by FOUR TEAMS, is it really anything extraordinary to suggest that something isn't right with a system implemented to promote parity?

And teams without one are prevented from outbidding teams with one due to the salary cap.

I fail to see how more money will make brilliant front offices lest brilliant.

I doubt these would change if there was no salary cap

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It gives an incentive for good players to stay with bad teams because they offer more money. Of course, it might not help parity because the good teams will have the same advantage but I think good drafting should be rewarded.

15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

That's life. Any walk of life. I don't think it's a book smart or nerd smart more of a survivival smart? Street smart? Social smart? I can't describe it exactly.

The best way I can sum it up and it's a oversimplification but it's the truth I think. Having as many people as possible that know what they are doing in whatever job it is they're doing. Be it football, plumbing, electrician, baking, wall street whatever it may be. It's not about luck it's really not.

The Lions had Stafford how many years? He won nothing there he leaves goes to LA immediatey wins a SB.

Andy Reid won in Philadelphia and now KC because he knows what he's doing. Bill Parcells went from team to team always turned teams around, always won because he knew what he was doing. It's not luck.

Pittsburgh always contends, always drafts well because they know what they are doing.

16. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

And in the other conference the Niners are playing in their third Super Bowl since 2012.

Meanwhile I've never seen my team play in a Super Bowl.

Doesn't the story go that Pete Rozelle dreamed of parity?

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised what a couple owners who really want to win would do.

But the bigger issue here is you want parity when the salary cap doesn't give parity but rather meritocracy. Getting rid of the cap won't give parity either, just get rid of meritocracy.

18. HackettSuxTNG

I disagree. There is no evidence to suggest that getting rid of the salary cap will not bring about more parity, especially considering how much revenue ALL team generate, unlike prior to 1994 when the salary cap was enforced. I am not saying it definitely WILL bring out parity, but from a parity standpoint, what is in place right now simply is NOT working.

19. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

As some have alluded- there is a big difference between parity of resources (salary in this case) between teams, and parity in outcomes. Some teams are just better run organizations. They win. Consistently. Some teams aren't. They lose. Consistently.
    But in inputs there is parity and in outcomes there's actually pretty good parity outside a few outliers on either end of the winning/losing spectrum. Keep the cap I say.

Ralebird and Jets79 like this.
  20. HackettSuxTNG

When the NFL was justifying the need for a salary cap to the fans by promoting "parity" do you think they were selling the input part or the outcome part to the fans?