How to fix the offensive line?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 3, 2024.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I would just like to point out both Fant and Moses were not apparently in the starting list of our brilliant CS. I have a hard time assuming that those decisions were made by JD in a vacuum without the CS endorsement. Brown for certain is a darling of RS.

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Will work for me too. A hobby is something that makes you feel good when you do it. Watching the Jets on the other hand…

stinkyB and Cman68 like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

JD owns the decision. They were each signed for money that could’ve been thought of as swing tackle money honestly.

IIMeanDeanII and BacktoQueens like this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'd much rather spend a cold day offshore chasing big fish than watch another winter of Nate Hackett's offense run by a 40yo Kal EL.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

100%
    Cracks me up when GM defenders credit every good move to FO’s, but the bad moves must’ve been the HC or Woody.

JD owns 100% of the roster decisions made, just like every GM before him has had here.

He’s got a full team of scouts, Dir of College Scouting, Director of Pro Personnel, Director of Player Personnel, and an Assistant GM.
    He’s not gonna dismiss an entire years work just to go with a coach’s input, who hasn’t put in that work. And if he did, all the more evidence of being a bad GM.

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Yes, you are right, JD owns the final decision, but when are we are going to recognize that pretty much every OL we let go, money or not, found success elsewhere, played far better, while they under performed with the present OL leadership. I argue they are just as guilty due to the shear incompetence and not getting the best out of them them and make them expendable. Was it also JD decision to move EVT to right tackle? Not keeping Edoga as a solid Guard? Yet clueless RS swears by that incompetent OC bunch.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The best way for the GM and coaching staff to lead by example would be to throw themselves upon their swords and resign. Just because Johnson says they get another year (or however many it turns out to be) doesn't make their presence here the right thing for the team. Or the fans.

"Man up - sit down!"

mezzavo and Borat like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

JD hired these coaches too though, and they also need to go, but he owns the entire thing. He can't hide from his record, there is no where to shift the blame.

Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It would be the right thing, but no one is throwing millions away. I am hoping though that somewhere in that chain Woody->JD->Saleh->Hack->etc someone will get enough balls or a moment of clarity to fire clearly incompetent person/people below them and replace them. Ideally it will be Woody firing JD after NE game, but if not JD letting go of Saleh, etc... The fewer of these clowns come back, the better for the team.

Ralebird likes this.
  10. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I DO have a hobby, see my sig. That Treble Radio is my internet radio station...

Unfortunately, Professional Football is my passion. I will, literally, watch every game if my wife doesn't stop me. (NFL+ is a panacea! I can watch every game, in coaches film, without my wife finding out...or so I like to delude myself) :rolleyes:

I don't do baseball, basketball, hockey...nothing. I can't STAND college football anymore and suffer through games only to get ideas for the draft. About the ONLY thing I watch, sports wise, other than professional football is the Olympics when they come around.

11. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

What a world it would be if people took themselves out of a situation when they found out/realized they weren't qualified. Be a LOT of unemployed people out there.

While Saleh may be a fantastic D.C., he is most assuredly NOT a head coach. He's too worried about being their "friend." A ton of this mess sits on the coaches. JD may, in fact, be a fantastic GM of the talent. Hard to tell because our coaches can't coach. How different would the team's fortunes be if we had competent coaching? The proof is everywhere with our "cast offs" excelling on other teams.

JD's REAL failure is in not recognizing the coaching deficiencies and correcting them. Take the o-line as a GREAT example. In JD's tenure here how many o-line guys have gone on to other teams and succeeded? There's been a number. A responsible GM sits down and asks, "Why is that?" The first MF'er gone would be Carter. O-line issues? Well, you can keep the turnstile rolling bring players in and out, with the ones leaving excelling on other teams, or you can SEE that and recognize it isn't the players you bring in but the coaches failing to put them in a position to succeed! THAT, IMHO, is why JD needs to go. It's real "easy" to keep moving players in and out but a whole hell of a lot harder to look your friends in the eye and tell them, "sorry, you aren't a good coach and we need to bring in someone to get the job done properly." THAT is what makes a good manager/leader. He's proven he can't make the tough choice and thus must go.

LAJet, BrooklynJetsFan and Borat like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t mind that, as I said many times, after the OL, his biggest miss was the selection of a defensive HC that is unable to see the big picture.

13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Can we bring him back as a fullback?

14. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately next year is not going to be much better than this year. As Rodgers has a strangle hold on the team the changes that need to be made are not going to happen. Just to show you how stupid our team is they let Calahan walk and look at Cleveland OL now. Anyway, the right move to be made right now is to clean the coaching staff. Hire Johnson from Detroit and take it from there. Of course that is not going to happen as Rodgers likes to keep is puppy on a leash and Saleh is that guy. As for the OL coach if Carter is not fired by tomorrow morning we know things are not going to change. It just shows you Rodgers selfishness as he would rather have a shitty team and be the center of attention than doing the right thing and letting Woody find an offensive minded coach. But I don't have much faith and unfortunately the Jets are going to stink as long Rodgers stays on.

LAJet likes this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m 1000% on board with this. His Achilles heal was picking Sala, who in turn picked a dismal OC staff. We would be in the playoffs with better coaching. Carter is absolutely useless as many on the O side of coaching, and has set the whole O line back a bunch. And dumb shit Salah swears by him. Unfortunately when JD goes, we will regret it, because the next choice will be much worst.
    If the OC staff is not gone and replaced we just as well draft D only, as this group of dip shits don’t know what to do with players.

16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Really taking this as AVT is going to be our Day 1 LT and then Fuaga at RT

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think they need to let him fail inside at this point.

If we had capable OTs, I'd be fine with keeping him at RG but we've gotta see if he can be a good OT consistently. If he can, the outlook for this OL gets a lot better.

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If he's just a B or B+ LT for us, that is a massive win. I really didn't want to use that trump card before the draft, but kind of opening up to the idea of it. I think having him at LT gives you some real flexibility with pick 10.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

from your mouth to saleh's ears!

20. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I just don't think AVT is big enough to handle the tackle position. Every time he is there, he's hurt. Every time he's inside, he looks all world.

Borat and KY Jets Fan like this.