It's Time...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by VegasMav, Dec 4, 2023.

1. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I’m not even against saleh staying…I feel he hasn’t had the opportunity to coach with a good offense/ qb. It’s Douglas I dont like.

as disappointed as I am right now, I would rather keep all intact (other than Hackett), and give them an opportunity to build an offense for next year. I don’t want to lose what we have on defense in any way .or wait through another rebuild.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Rodgers listed what about Hackett? Do you think that Hackett has impressed Rodgers so much this season that Rodgers would not work without him? The Jets need to do what is best for the Jets - how can anyone claim that maintaining the status quo will benefit the Jets?

What's the worst thing that happens if the coaches get replaced? Rodgers retires? Great that just puts the team in a position to reestablish itself a year or two before the defense crumbles and the last decent wide receiver moves on to another team. You don't really think the aging process gets suspended for everyone else based on the whims of Aaron Rodgers do you?

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Or the win/loss record even with Kal EL. Without a complete overhaul of the OLine and a brain transplant for Hackett, This team will lose more games than it will win even with the Last Son of Krypton taking snaps at age 40.5. Not sure what 40.5 human years translates into Kryptonian years though.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It is not "great" if Rodgers retires. I believe the Jets would take the largest dead cap hit in NFL history in that scenario

his contract is set up with void years, those void years are accelerated to the current year if he retires.

--
    Even in the most ideal scenario - Rodgers played 3 full years for the Jets and they void out the final 3, the Jets would've taken a $35Mil dead cap hit, which is like 12% of the cap alone in 2026. (depending on the size of the salary cap that year) That's a lot. You think that's a lot though?

if he retires in 2024 though, that's $66 mil in dead cap, nearly double, just insane

Rodgers will use this as leverage all offseason to get what HE wants

#24 BrowningNagle, Dec 4, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    SOJAZ and ouchy like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

rodgers can fix bad playcalling at the line though. same reason peyton mannings OC was irrelevant. rodgers will run the offense how he pleases. The o-line and WRs need fixing though for sure

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

we would lose 49mil in cap space and have a dead cap of 66mil. shedding 49mil would cripple the team and still leave us with no QB

7. Cman68

And therein lies the challenge. Since Hackett had next to zero affect on Rodgers' play, why the BS story about Hackett being the only OC Rodgers can work with still circulating? Seems they could fire Hackett anytime they choose and Rodgers wouldn't be affected at all. Sounds like a cool story to keep his bro employed.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Kind of makes you think that maybe the experiment was doomed to failure from the start and it might be in the best interests of the team to get it behind them as soon as possible.

Cman68 likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

fans tend to throw out hyperbole and conspiracy theories and then try to prove them right.
    Obviously rodgers would work with other OCs, but he does like hackett and it was a part of him wanting to be here so if he's the guy for 2024 why not give him what he wants? realistically capwise we are relying on rodgers for 2024 and probably out only shot at making a playoff run before the wheels fall off again. we all knew this was a 2 year window maybe with some luck 3 year. the 1st year got destroyed with injuries but that doesn't mean you start over again.

10. Cman68

So its a package deal then. Fine. As long as when Kal EL flies off into whatever sunset he chooses, he takes Hackett with him..

11. GasedAndConfused

that would be ideal but sadly if we see success with rodgers on offense, it'll be hard to fire hackett until we have a bad season so we may be stuck with him for an extra year after rodgers goes

12. Cman68

God forbid Woody does something super stupid by making Hackett HC.

13. GasedAndConfused

that would be a disaster. If that happened IDK what i'd even say

14. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am all for cleaning house. Rodgers is only sgned for this year and they need to retool their offense.

15. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

I have been reading your posts and the a few of the other folks that seem to work together on this site to promote nonsensical stuff, but this one takes the cake. Wow.

16. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Douglas is the one that needs to go. If we have to run it back with this bunch, promote Rex Hogan to GM and go at it that way. Douglas tanked an entire season because he didn’t want to admit a mistake and his handling of the Qb situation alone necessitates his immediate firing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Rex Hogan is brain dead. He should have been fired years ago.

SOJAZ and boozer32 like this.
  18. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

He and Douglas have something in common then.

SOJAZ likes this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Don't give them anymore bad ideas lol.

20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Demoted? He doesn't need to be calling plays for anyone