The Return of the Rodgers..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 26, 2023.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

After all this drama, Rodgers had better play like a future HoF QB instead of a 40yo QB on the downside of his career. The expectations have not changed and frankly, both Saleh's and JD's jobs depend on Rodgers playing well. We want to see Kal EL and what he brings to the Jets..

If not, it will get real ugly, real quick for both Saleh and Rodgers. I'm thankful JD is suddenly not a genius anymore and will also be held accountable if his Rodgers gambit fails.

This is the sort of bad PR that Woody does indeed pay attention to. You know damn well he saw the "Fail Mary" pass. It will be consequential if the team has its 3rd straight crash and burn. The debris field will include Saleh and very likely JD. Rodgers can always just retire with his legacy intact. If that happens, hopefully he'll take Hackett, Cobb and Lazard with him.

#1 Cman68, Nov 26, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
    Footballgod214, SOJAZ and barfolomew like this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He is really our only hope.

Still gotta put a viable 0-line together and add another wide receiver.

Rodgers gave JD & Saleh a mulligan on the year... next year that's off the table.

SOJAZ, KY Jets Fan and Borat like this.
  3. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

We have no Oline. If he comes back this year he will just get obliterated again.

4. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I mean this is the Jets, so it makes total sense that AR rushes back this season, gives a few glimpses of what could've been and suffers yet another catastrophic injury to another part of his body...

barfolomew likes this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If he comes back next year, he still has to deal with a new patched together OLine that has no real experience playing as a unit. So, are we in reality talking '25 for Kal EL to arrive and save us?

barfolomew likes this.
  6. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

He is our Obi Wan Kenobi, our only hope. We must not waste him.

KY Jets Fan and Cman68 like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If he comes back this year then we won't get a second year.

Section 336 likes this.
  8. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Can we guarantee that?
    If so I am on board, we can blow the whole thing up after the season.

papapump and Kronoking like this.
  9. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I would be absolutely shocked if Cobb is back next year. He's been a healthy scratch since, what, a month and a half ago? Even if, just for the sake of argument, someone in the Jets brass wanted him back, would he even want to come back? I definitely think we'll be seeing one of those mutual parting of ways with Cobb this offseason.

Hackett is gone the moment Rodgers is. There's no way he'll continue to be employed off the back of what happened this year. Unless Rodgers puts up historic numbers that makes everyone forget about this season (spoiler alert: he won't), Hackett is done in this league as a coordinator. He might be able to catch on with a team as a position coach somewhere down the line just off the back of his last name, but in terms of being an OC, he's almost certainly done the moment Rodgers is no longer under contract with the New York Jets.

SOJAZ and Jets79 like this.
  10. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter, he can come back and play like he did in his prime and something else will go wrong. Something will always go wrong with this team.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If we keep losing, it should not be off the table this year. We keep talking about the OLine, but wasn't it the same exact conversation last year? Check this out. Saleh when asked after last year why Jets job is attractive to an OC: "We ... going to attack the heck out of OL". Getting Tippman in the second round is attacking the heck out of OL? I am sorry, but there need to be consequences for this blatant lie and gross negligence by JD and to a lesser degree Saleh. Saleh has now hired 2 OCs, which didn't work out.

I am not even sure Hack as a play caller will work with Rodgers. Just to remind everyone, it was MLF who called the plays in GB, not Hack. Hack was designing red zone plays, serving coffee to MLF, things like that. Seeing how terrible he is now does not make me feel warm and fuzzy even with Rodgers. Surely it will be better, but Hack made Russ look like shit and have his worse season in his career. It is not unreasonable to expect something similar with Rodgers. I thought Russ was on a decline, but look at his QB rating since turning 30: 111, 106, 105, 103, 84, 104. Anything stands out? Hack had success a decade ago with Bortles, but he now called the worst offense in NFL for two years now with two different QBs, including one HOFer, who had a 20 point drop off with him.

Changes need to be done this year. Both coaching and GM. Otherwise I am worried even Rodgers cannot save us next year, and if he gets hurt again, with Hack calling plays, we are done. Baring some miracle in the next 6 games, Woody needs to step in and make the changes after this season.

SOJAZ, papapump, Cman68 and 1 other person like this.
  12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

My take on Rodgers is that it's all about him. He wants to go out in a blaze if glory even more so, but hear me out. He wants to "beat and defy science" and come back quicker than anyone in sports. Yeah, yeah, that's great, but SO WHAT. That and a handful of pennies won't get me on the subway.

My hope - and hope is for fools - is this: come next season every shithead and every jackass puppet and homey he brought in here needs to be shipped out and fired as a condition of his continued employment. C'mon, this is bullshit.

If he complains and throws his weight around and refuses to relinquish control that should never have been his to the extent that it is in the first place, go meditate in a cave somewhere, drop acid, and fuck off right out of here.

What an idiotic and foolish pursuit of what was doomed to fail out of the gate, especially without a viable back up QB with a pulse. F-

I have never been interested in this blind ego stroke of a move at all, especially without injury insurance for an injury we all knew was bound to happen. It is so stupid and so short-sighted and so Jets. Hopefully the front office pisses him off enough and he retires. The Jets can recoup some of the money and we can all make believe it never happened.

barfolomew, papapump and Ralebird like this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Hey... don't yell at me!

I wanted Mike McCarthy... :confused:

SOJAZ, barfolomew and Cman68 like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

OL does not have to be patched. Both KC and Seattle rebuilt after one year. Continuity is important to some smaller extent, but it's much more important to have the talent. When Duane got hurt, 3 players had to get moved: Becton to LT, AVT to RT, Tipp to RG. That was a true patchwork. And it worked, because Tipp was a talented guy, who replaced Duane, who is washed. Not much gelling was needed, they did well from the get go. They would have gotten better if they stayed like this sure, but they were solid to begin with too.

The key is to infuse the talent and we will be fine in 2024 after one off-season of practices. But we need to focus on this and actually hit on the OLine players. We can probably get Laken to take some pay cut to keep him, and we will have Tipp, and AVT. They key is to get two tackles this off-season and some solid depth (not named Billy Turner and Max). JD really put us in the hole for not doing it last off-season, but there is a realistic way out of this. My preference is to get another GM to give a shot it, but if not I hope JD learned his lesson, even though I am not confident at all that he did. I would not be surprised he is still thinking we are QB away since Rodgers got hurt and then draft another DE with top 10 pick.

15. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

This definitely seems to be a core value and motivation for him :rolleyes: and not to his credit.

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I see the OL the same way…we need two new tackles…can be one FA and one drafted. Move AVT back to guard and keep him there…keep Tippman at C, and then keep Tomlinson if we can’t find a guard in addition to the two new tackles, and maybe with a pay cut.

It’s not impossible and not really even unrealistic. It can be done.

And we need to use the draft for depth as well as WR … we need a true WR2 and even a WR3 to compete with Lazard for that role.

It can be done.

SOJAZ, barfolomew and Borat like this.
  17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

You have to have a certain level of healthy arrogance to make it in a highly pressurized job or profession, but when it gets to the point that all you're doing is staring into the pool of Narcissus to the exclusion of all else, yawn.

GB should have kicked him in his ass a long time ago. Jeff George Lite.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The crazy thing is that it could have already been done - if JD listened to a large portion of this board. And we have also JD not trading up for Dawand, not able to find a gem with later round OLine picks, not being aggressive at the trade deadline. Then we have Hack as a play caller. Fresh start getting new GM and a creative offensive play caller as a HC and retaining Rodgers (and maybe even Hack in the non play caller role he had in GB) seems like the best thing to do - it would give us the best chance to succeed. Though it has its risks as well. Whatever we do though, whether it is JD or someone else, we need to successfully execute the plan you outlined above.

Jets79 likes this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

At this point, he should just go ahead and retire. This team isn't built up enough to protect him. He'll be running (limping) for his life behind this garbage offensive line Douglas's body snatched from graveyards. Mitchell is not even arena football worthy.

barfolomew, sozopol and westiedog1 like this.
  20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I agree. I don’t want him back this year or next year. He isn’t go to win a SB with this team, CS, GM etc. so why bother? I wouldn’t be surprised if the majority of the Jets players have had enough of this dysfunctional organization and want out. I know I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sackexchange, boozer32, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.