20 years...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsUK, Nov 23, 2023.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I just got a random notice on my calendar that it's apparently 20 years since I joined the Gang Green forum - which is somewhat insane.

I had a look back at the team for 2003 - who wouldn't want to get some of these on the current team:
    - Chad Pennington
    - Curtis Martin
    - Kevin Mawae
    - Shaun Ellis

Aside from Dewayne Robertson in 2003 they actually had a small purple patch of good first round draft picks from 2004-2008 and then from 2009-2023 they basically hit on 1 first round draft pick (Quinnen) until they got lucky in 2022 which is part of the reason we have struggled so much.

In that time the Jets have had 6 winning seasons, in almost half those 20 years they have been last in the AFC East and have never come first. They went to playoffs only 4 times.

Basically two really enjoyable seasons (in 2009 and 2010).

I doubt I'll make another 20 years but surely it can't be worse than the last two decades (from a Jets perspective)!

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Wow, brings me back. I remember buying my first place in December of 2002 and having my buddies helping me move in my ridiculously large 80" TV that took up half of my living room.

We played Manning's Colts at home in the wild card game a month later and blew the doors off them 41-0 or 42-0. Fun times and great Jets memory.

It's been mostly awful since.

mark82 likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I haven't been on TGG that long, but have been a Jets (NY Titans) fan for over 60 years. It's been six decades of mostly futility and since Namath, really very little to be excited about. I honestly don't know why I've remained a fan, other than I've exercised "benign neglect" for periods when it was obvious there was no hope of improving. I think I may entering another such period now. We'll see,

What I find interesting - as in "case study interesting" - is how once people select a team, they tend to stick with it no matter what, even if they move away from that team's home. There must be some psychological root for this persistence. I wish I could find it and excise it and choose another team that isn't so hopeless, but it seems like I'm stuck with them to the grave.

mezzavo, nycarl, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Well. happy anniversary my friend. To 20 more years together hopefully.

5. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

Cheers! I’m watching Geno struggle on TNF. I would take this Geno 1000x over what we have had this decade. We are so bad and unorganized that a roster bubble player punched our starting qb in the face and it was the headliner for the season. Maybe we should call Bryce petty.

6. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Plasma TV?

7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Pre-Plasma and pre-flat screen. Thing was bulky af.

Jets69 and mark82 like this.
  8. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I remember those tvs. Didn't realize they made them that big - must've taken up the entire room. First row movie theater experience.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  9. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Wayne Chrebet was on some of those teams as well. I wish I could take that guy's heart and put it into Zach Wilson. He was as clutch a receiver as there was during that time. Had a tenth of the talent of many players but played so "big." Definitely the Jets version of Rudy.

The Jets are, hands down, the worst drafting team in the NFL. Worse than Cleveland, worse than Detroit. Every couple years we hit on someone but, in general, the team simply doesn't draft all that well. I guess that's what make JD unique, in the grand scheme of things, because he's actually had a fairly decent return on his drafts if you compare them to other Jets GM's. Which isn't saying a whole lot.

Happy Anniversary my man and hope to be reading your posts for many more years.

JetsUK likes this.