Saleh admits to terrible planning

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Yankee6, Nov 21, 2023.

1. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

This is what kills you. I get the big swing on picking a quarterback at #2. I get giving him the 1st year to show something...anything really. BUT, then they made a mistake by not getting rid of him after he threw an awful pick and got hurt in his first preseason game LAST year. Then they made a mistake not making him the 3rd qb last year after White came in and looked good. Then they made a mistake by not releasing him after the Jacksonville game last year. Then they made a mistake by not releasing him sometime in the offseason. Then they made a mistake by not adding a capable backup to Rogers at some point in the off season. Then they made a mistake by not getting someone in here when Rogers got hurt. Then they made a mistake by not bringing someone in after zack looked horrible early on this year...I could keep going.

If it was Douglas forcing Saleh to stick with zach, it is either because he was too stupid to realize he drafted an all time bust #2 overall, or to stubborn to admit he drafted an all time bust at #2 overall.

It all screams of organizational incompetence at the most important position in sports.

#41 Jets-N-Terps, Nov 21, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

So when Rodgers DID get hurt week 1, why didn't they at least pivot to finding and readying a new vet QB?

This is 100% on JD.
    Question is, when does JD man up and get in front of a microphone to explain himself, rather than letting Saleh try to defend the indefensible moves of this FO?

The coach does not sign players, and I can't see Saleh being satisfied with only Wilson as an option, but he''s the one standing at the mic.
    I give Saleh credit for not throwing JD under the bus and taking the heat for him.

JohnnyJet, Brook!, Nyjets4eva and 7 others like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah seriously Rodgers was hurt on September 11th. The Jets knew he was hurt long term, we talked all week about QB options, but Joe Douglas saw it differently

JohnnyJet, NYJetsO12 and BacktoQueens like this.
  4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

And I was here that week saying tick tock tick tock, JD's inaction will lead to season collapse and loss of the locker room if he does nothing now.
    I was also here in the offseason when we let White walk to ensure zero competition for Zach, that we were risking losing a season should anything happen to Rodgers even for a couple weeks.

Saleh held it together for as long as he could, but it was evident to all the players this wasn't working and the FO was leaving them out to dry.
    Another wasted season, and it didn't have to be.
    What kills me is how blatantly obvious and predictable it was.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I still wanna see what Saleh can do with a decent quarterback.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

and to be honest, the injuries on OL were also kind of predictable…no you don’t expect to lose just about every single OL starter, but we had plenty of guys with recent injury history in Becton, Brown, AVT, etc. It was a mistake way back when to let Moses go. Not on the same level, but Herbig came in and played kind of ok last year but we let him go as well…not sure if he is any better than the back ups we have now, but my point is we have had a lot of OL injuries and we were counting on players who themselves were specifically missing a lot of time.

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

dobbs was 1-7 in arizona. where do you get 2 out of 3? if it's 2-3 with the vikes that still makes him 3-10 on the year.
    the point was there isn't a backup leading their team to the playoffs since week 1

EDIT: actually I don't think it's ever been done in the past 30+ years
    closest was matt casell with the pats when they won 11 games but still missed the playoffs. and steelers in 2019 when rudolph took over an 0-2 team and between him and duck hodges they went 8-6 and barely missed the playoffs at 8-8.

#47 GasedAndConfused, Nov 21, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  8. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

your , right but the plan to have ZW as the B-up was ludicrious. He was never a NFL QB irrespective of any mitigating circumstances... he was a bad pick at # 2 maybe evan at #4...

9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

baloney, you plan for every scenario - except for an apocalypase - and the worst case is that he would go down in the 1st game , not 3,4,5...that is laughable and smacks as the same BS the FO has made HC say this year.... like we are this close to be good O...LOL.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The biggest takeaway I get from Saleh's quotes is that Douglas is a coward for hiding while making Saleh face the media.

11. GasedAndConfused

he looked the part on film. giving him 2 years is fair to see if he can be an NFL QB. he proved he wasn't. so we traded for rodgers. there are worse backups in the NFL. the NFL is too devoid of talent to have enough good QBs

12. GasedAndConfused

it's impossible. the NFL is built on parity with a hard cap. every team has holes and you can't have starting quality Qbs as backups

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My take : Its all a conspiracy to keep the SOJs Theme going on ad infinitum..I mean you cant make this stupidity and poor planning up!

Saleh just plays dumb frontman for the Brain Trust >>>...who are sorry to say collectively average

14. Khan

Khan Active Member

Cook signing was after Rodgers cut his pay. However, it wasn't impossible to make something work, just unlikely since nobody is paying a third stringer that much let alone most backups, and Zach's guaranteed cap numbers always complicated things.

White signed with the Dolphins literally right after Rodgers said he wanted to be on the Jets. Whole situation is a mess and this was the worst case scenario. They took a risk and it did not pay off.

15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

kurt warner was the backup when trent green got hurt in the preseason and won the super bowl

list of other backup QBs who took over early in the season and led their teams to the playoffs:
    dak, romo, tannehill, brady, farve, harbaugh, flutie, case keenum, randall cunningham, chad fucking pennington

JohnnyJet, Jets81, ouchy and 3 others like this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think Saleh knows his time with the Jets just got a lot shorter. JD does not suffer dissent of any kind and refuses to be held accountable for the state of the roster. Saleh all of a sudden is putting distance between him and his boss. That usually is the beginning of the end. Frankly, they both can walk the plank and take Rodgers and his ENTIRE crew along for the ride.

Centiment and Brook! like this.
  17. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not even entirely certain about the point you're trying to make ... but Brock Purdy took the 49ers to the playoffs last year (as a third string QB) and Nick Foles won a Super Bowl as the Eagles backup.

18. GasedAndConfused

warner was one. that was one odd story. from bagging groceries to a HOF QB.
    dak is another good call. was a 4th round rookie steal
    tannehill in 2019 came in week 6 for mariota
    brady yes but makes me cringe lol and now we are going pretty far back

so yeah you are right it's happened a few times in history but mostly long ago. tannehill is the only recent example (last 5 years or so). and the QB he replaced was a JAG not a HOFer. Dak would be the only one in a similar situation to have done it in over 20 years.

19. GasedAndConfused

it wasn't early in the season though. they took over later on. purdy has been fantastic. foles had the 1 good run out of nowhere.

Basically it's happened once in the last 20 years (dak 2019) where a backup QB took over early in the season due to injury and took their team to the playoffs replacing a HOF or top level talent QB.
    now if you take the amount of them that weren't rookies that over performed the number is 0.

20. GasedAndConfused

I watched the interview today. I don't see that at all. I think people are taking 1 liners out of context.
    he was asked today what he meant about talking with JD about the zach pic and he said they are always on the same page and that he meant what they could have done differently form an evaluation standpoint to be more efficient.