And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You know Siemian was on this team before correct? He was not better than this version of Zach.

#1261 cval, Oct 30, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

18 snaps only in 2019. 1 game, left in the 2nd quarter

The_Darksider and Jets79 like this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I haven’t looked it up, but if you hold up Simian’s career stats vs. Zach, I’d be surprised if Zach was better

Personally I think Simian has a lower ceiling but a higher floor…whether or not that’s better for this team right now I don’t know, but I will say I’m so tired of having to have these in depth deep dive reviews to argue about if Zach was REALLY bad, or it wasn’t just him…at some point we can just say he’s not been good.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We’ve been pretty atrocious in the screen game. I have no idea why and I don’t think anyone in particular is to blame but that’s probably why we don’t run them since they get blown up right away.

As far as holding on to the ball too long I think people generalize a bit when they say that. I think within that umbrella it encompasses the fact that he doesn’t feel or diagnose pressure well at all. Sometimes sacks are unavoidable, but when they walk 6 up to the line and send them all and he just gets clobbered it’s on the QB for not adjusting to that pre or post snap with a checkdown or hot read.

KY Jets Fan, NYJetsO12 and cval like this.
  5. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Zach would have looked better if the defence had bumped up our points total as usual. 13 points in 5 quarters isnt going to take us to the playoffs. Having said that, it is what it is and there will be no QB change so we have to back him and pray he keeps improving, all be it at a snails pace.

6. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

I know this will be an unpopular opinion here but here it is ,Zach can take a hit and still deliver a beautiful ball that shows me he is resilient. He might not make it as an nfl QB but his toughness for play the position is undeniable.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If anything it's the other way around with ceiling and floor. With Zach, you don't get tons of interceptions (his INT% is league average) because he won't throw it unless he sees the receiver actively open. So that sets a floor for him. But that means he doesn't do anything good either to the point that his ceiling is the lowest I've ever seen in a first round QB. Guy's gone almost two and a half seasons and has never lit up a defense, not even once.

8. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

For those of you who felt Zach was a root cause yesterday, a few facts:
    • Running backs: 16 rushes for 24 yards
    • Offensive Line: 21 pressures on 36 passes (that is ungodly awful)
    • Playcalling
      • On first down, Zach was 7 for 9 for 152 yards, and a sack
      • On first down, we rushed 16 times for 28 yards
      • When we put him in position to succeed, he does well. When we put him in 2nd and 3rd and longs with a poor OL against blitzing defenses, he's going to struggle (but not throw any interceptions)
    And finally, when they took off his straight jacket, he led us to a win. If you don't like Zach, please share how many QBs are capable of what he pulled off. If you believe it's an anomaly, he did the same thing against Detroit last year.

And I watched the game. 8 balls delivered on point were not caught (3 are either good defensive plays with lack of WR separation). His only horrendous mistake was the 4th and 10 where he had Carter coming open. He had 3 other bad plays. He created far more plays than that out of nothing.

ColoradoContrails, cval and Mogriffjr like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ok let me say it..the Kid crumbles under a pass rush and worse doesn't see it coming. He holds the ball and cant think quickly ..his decision making is the 180 degree opposite of AR or even Ryan Fitzpatrick . He is struggling with a Learning Disability his whole life which makes NFL football doubly maybe triple hard. Look at the regression this weekend: constantly passes at receivers feet like 2 years ago. But in fact having a LD has nothing to do with IQ!! Kids and Adults learn ways to compensate growing up and taking on jobs, adult responsibilities.etc. Given these limitations we see what year 3 for Zach is looking like >> plays like hot garbage 90% of the time. But I will give him credit..it was like a miracle.. that under a minute he helped Tie the game with 2 perfect throws ..smh . Does that happen again and again ? prob not..just no faith in him sorry

So what do we do ? In an ideal scenario AR would have been leading the team and teaching/helping Zach...but I hate to say it ZW is on the Geno Smith timeline to greatness ..like 5-8 years from now he might be really good and overcome the ADHD disability:/ But who has the luxury of waiting ?? I certainly dont ..been waiting the last 12 for a Post season exp and 55 plus for SB

My advice : Take the pressure off Wilson and bring in a Vet

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Nonsense post... you should feel ashamed.

11. BrowningNagle

I’m just sick of watching terrible QBing

2 fumbles, 4 sacks, 2-16 on 3rd & 4th down. Just terrible QBing

SackRecord99 and Acad23 like this.
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Anything I've seen written about Wilson and his ADHD says he didn't know he had it until he was tested for it at BYU, so there was no lifelong struggle. Available information also states it affected his academics, but not his football. If you have can reference anything different, it would be interesting to see.

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Imagine coming here as an opposing teams fan and seeing that people appreciate bottom of the bottom tier quarterbacking.

Edit: Seriously, can we just rename it “Zach Wilson” since it’s a running thread discussing his play and not about appreciation? At a glance (or a screenshot to mock our fanbase) it looks like we don’t realize that he’s a bad QB.

#1273 Jets81, Oct 31, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

huh?!? WTF.... :confused:

cval likes this.
  15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This kid consistently stood in the pocket and delivered balls this game. Had highest pressure rate (maybe ever) it was pouring rain so bad that the other coach would not let his qb throw.

He made a miraculous come back and all we do is shit on the kid

Unbelievable

16. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

How could you possibly know that on the small sample size, and not even taking to account of talent level around him at that time? I’m starting to believe you have Zach blinders on.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I do not have to have blinders on to know Trevor Siemian is not better than Zach.

18. BrowningNagle

haha wow

let’s build him a statue!

19. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

More talented, not a chance. At this stage of Zach’s development? Blinders.

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Trevor a free agent that nobody wanted cannot make it off our practice squad but I am the one with blinders. That is funny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.