Who to replace Schott (if he leaves)?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Lord, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

2. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

To be honest I do not know a helluva lot about the in house candidates. That being said, do any of them make your toes tingle?

Mine certainly do not from that bunch. IMO I think Mangini and Tannenbaum would seriously have to consider an outside candidate.

3. BxJetFan

BxJetFan New Member

We are not losing our offensive coordinator. Our tru OC stands behind center in Chad Pennington. He is the one changing plays and shifts as he sees it. If anything a new offensive coordinator could teach our O-line how to run block better.

4. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I got dibs on Wayne Fonts...

5. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Would a new coach implement about 8 shifts before the snap on each play??

I think that was the most underrated thing about Schott. Guys went everywhere, and defenses were totally confused. We had fullbacks line up at WR...and then actually do the play from the position. It was a crazy offense that worked, with almost no talent.

6. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

What about that guy Paul Hackett? I heard he is good.

7. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

Well now that San Diego lost, the fins can hire Cameron and leave us the hell alone.

8. Br4d

Nope. San Diego's going to fire Marty instead and hire Cameron.

Of course there's always the chance that Miami will go get Marty now and leave our guy alone.

9. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

Maybe San Diego fires the father, then hires the son...

How strange would that be?

10. asscue35

asscue35 New Member

Now that the Chargers are out, maybe the Dolphins go for Cam Cameron and leave our Schott alone and as soon as that happens we can label him as an assistant head coach.

11. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

Jason Garrett. I doubt he would be on Tangini's "short list", but he is a guy that my Dad and I threw out there today. Apparently, others are interested in him as wel..

Career
    He started his college career at Columbia University, but transferred to Princeton University following his father's resignation as head coach after Columbia's 0-10 1985 season. Garrett was the starting quarterback for the San Antonio Riders of the World League of American Football, but suffered a separated shoulder in the season opener. He rebounded the following year to lead San Antonio to a 7-3 record, but the North American West Division was very competitive, and the Riders did not make the playoffs. After two seasons as a cross-Atlantic venture, the Riders were shut down; the WLAF closed for two years, before a return as a six-team European-only setup (eventually re-branding itself as NFL Europe League). Garrett then went to the Dallas Cowboys, where he was a backup to Troy Aikman, and won two Super Bowls with the club. In 2000, he went to the New York Giants, where he appeared sparingly. After a short stint with the Miami Dolphins, he went to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, where he was used primarily as a coach, although he was fourth on the depth chart and would have been used in an emergency situation. After retiring as a player, he is currently the quarterback coach for the Miami Dolphins. As of January 2007, Jason is under consideration for the Offensive Coordinator job of the Cleveland Browns (NFL), LSU Tigers (NCAA) and Alabama Crimson Tide (NCAA).

12. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

13. Vegi5894

Vegi5894 New Member

Hopefully Cam Cameron will shoot to the top of the dolphins' list. I cant see them passing up on him for such an unexperienced OC like Schott, even if Schott is the man, and runs a great offense. Losing Schott could be big problems for us because a) we have no viable replacements and b) we are a team that is young and trying to implement a fairly new offensive scheme, so having our OC take off after only a year of working with him, we could have some scheme problems next year (especially with the young clemens in the background)

14. steviep

steviep Active Member

Well Zorn certainly knew how to beat the jets. Even when Seattle was awful -- theyd beat us every year. (We seemed to play them alot).

15. Br4d

Assistant Head Coach is no longer an elevating title under the new management guidelines. You can call your guy whatever you want and unless it's "head coach" he's fair game to be hired as head coach by somebody else.

16. Jetsman5137

Jetsman5137 New Member

Why do the Dolphins want a 33 year old head coach? Do they want to totally rebuild that franchise or something? It'll take Schottenheimer three years before he could a decent head coach and I think if the Dolphins get a few more guys, they are in a win now situation IMO.

17. Br4d

The Dolphins are 19-29 over the last 3 seasons. That's not win now, it's keep losing if you do not make changes.