And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

But that's assuming he's at his ceiling now, which I think is an assumption that can't be made. Given how much he has improved since just last season in fact, I'd say we can reasonably hope for some more significant improvement.

NY Jets68 and burf like this.
  2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

There's some aspect that states the player cannot throw a block when heading back towards the line of scrimmage--@GasedAndConfused can better articulate it.

NCJetsfan and GasedAndConfused like this.
  3. burf

burf Well-Known Member

That's the thing... can he get mad, or will he always quietly turn on himself, get down on himself, & eventually make mistakes or vaporize?
    Who knows, but to me that's his biggest challenge.
    On the positive side, he seems to be more steady after mistakes, missing reads, bad passes etc.
    While still missing reads, he seems to be on the right track, in understanding that there is more to being a QB, than running around & trying to make big plays. He's gotten it, that his job is to get the ball to playmakers... to be the offense's point guard.
    These things, like his improved footwork, will become 2nd-nature as he continues to improve.

I'd just like to see them, finally, just let Zach go.
    I'd like to see how he responds.
    He might surprise us all...he might bust.
    Decisions are gonna have to be made about Zach.
    Letting him sink or swim would help management make the best possible decision for the organization.
    The rest is up to Zach, & how strong his desire is to succeed.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

in the rule book they call it the "end line" because it's not the line of scrimmage it's basically the goal-line of the direction you are going. so as an offensive player if you are heading towards the other end zone (heading towards a TD) the block is legal. If you are heading towards your own end zone (heading towards a safety) or parallel to it, it's illegal.

The spirit of the rule is that defenders are facing 1 way looking at the offense and not looking behind them or parallel to them so they can't defend themselves from a random hit, where if you are coming straight at them they can. The type of block caused alot of concussions on punt returns when someone was going into to make a tackle and out fo nowhere they had their clock cleaned from a guy running parallel to the end line.

Borat and IDFjet like this.
  5. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Forget last season, just take how he improved, between the 1st & 2nd quarters of the Chiefs game.
    To me, that kinda points to how slowly Hackett is improving, rather than Zach.
    Did Zach improve so much in those few minutes, or was it that when they were down 17-0 against the Chiefs, Hackett called aggressively, & Zach responded with his best play as a pro?
    It makes me curious to see how Zach would respond to consistent aggressive playcalling, rather than continually reverting to 'safe' playcalling, especially in the redzone.

6. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

ok so our elite def stopped these elites qb right? so these teams def couldn’t keep zw in check?

Think before you post

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The Jets defense isn’t elite this season though they’ve had some very good games, and you’re acting like 2 QB’s can’t play poorly in the same game.

Here are Wilson’s stats against those teams:

14/21 140 1/1 Long 24 - Pathetic

28/39 245 2/0 Long 39 1 fumble - Career Game that I’d take week in and week out with the occasional pick.

19/33 186 0/0 long 33 - Pathetic

He was more than held in check by 2/3 of those teams. His biggest contribution was limiting his own mistakes.

Think before you post.

#887 Jets81, Oct 17, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
    SackRecord99 likes this.
  8. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

The decision has already been made - He's back-up to Rodgers until his contract expires.

Zach would have to consistently complete 60% of his passes, get over 200 yards and have a 2-1 or 2-0 TD/INT ratio to get close to causing an actual QB controversy.

Until he starts making 4th quarter comebacks and redzone TD's that aren't handed to him on a plate by the D (of which he has had ample opportunities) then we're still a ways off of even contemplating that.

9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%

I think we’re all pleased he’s playing better for the last 3 games…but if you put aside the fact that he’s been total shit before that and just look objectively at even these last 3 games, he’s been meh…ok…mediocre…yes he’s gotten his completion rate to 60% (which by the way is still low compared to the better starters and league average) and he’s cut down on picks, so his improvement is that he hasn’t cost us games in the last 3…but he’s certainly not winning us games…that’s been the D and Breece. Improvement? Yes? QB controversy/contract extension? Nope. Not yet.

There’s some hope now when there wasn’t much before, but I agree…he’ll need to pull together better games and we’ll need to keep winning…I like the stats you laid out…if he can reach those levels consistently, then sure he’ll have actually earned more run and I think we’d all love to see that

Jets69, SackRecord99 and stinkyB like this.
  10. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

These guys waving the Zach Wilson flag, remind me of used car salesman, with the oh it's a great car, 300k miles, no worries, it's all highway, previous owner, little old grandma, got every service record!

The problem is Wilson doesn't have high miles, he's a Yugo, a vehicle that was a total POS right out of the factory in Yugoslavia.

11. burf

burf Well-Known Member

The decision has been made by you, but not the Jets.
    The Jets have to make a decision about Zach being in their future plans, or not?
    That will be decided by Zach's play the rest of the season.
    Everything isn't about QB controversy, there are real decisions that have to be made.
    Sure, in an ideal world, AR will be back healthy, & ready to go... but he'll be 40, coming off an Achilles.
    Anything can happen... will the Jets want to rely on Zach again next season, if AR goes down again?
    Do they try to bring in another QB?
    If he continues to improve, what to do about 2025, etc?
    11 games to go... how Zach responds, will decide how the team moves forward.

12. Gremlin

The Jets choose to switch first round picks in 2023, a second rounder and a 6th for 5th as well as give up a second rounder (which was likely to be a first) in 2024.

That suggest to me that there was a decision made somewhere along the line that Zach wasn't going to be the Jets starter.

They then signed the new QB to a contract that runs to the end of 2024.
    Zach has a contract that also runs to the end of 2024.

Based off the original decision to bring this new QB in then this again leaves the impression that the intention was to have Zach behind the new guy.

Zach has lucked into an unexpected opportunity.

Those who've seen his game tape would say its an opportunity to show he can be an NFL QB and maybe carve out a career as a journeyman QB2. The more optimistically inclined think that he can move the needle enough in the games he has remaining to displace a SB winning, multi-MVP, HOFer.

If it's the second case then the Jets are in a great place, if its the former then are we really going to be paying him $20M for his current rate of production in 2025 especially when you have Sauce, Johnson, AVT, Garrett, Breece all coming due at the same time?

SackRecord99 and ouchy like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As an "optimistically inclined" fan as far as Zach goes, I don't for a second think he can displace a SB winning, multi-MVP, HOFer. But is it possible he can improve enough to take over for Rodgers as the starter if AR can't come back, decides to retire, or gets hurt again? At this point I'd say that's a possibility. Of course it's also possible that he just won't improve enough to fill that role. We'll see over these next 11 weeks or so.

But even those who said he was a bust have to agree that this is positive improvement, and supposedly that's what everyone wanted to see. We need to continue to see it of course, but what he's shown these last three weeks is encouraging.

NCJetsfan and Borat like this.
  14. RevisIsland18

this is exactly what a backup game manager should be. Of the 2 of 3 some of his plays helped the team win. If not for curious case of the refs I have no doubt he would’ve marched down the field to win against kc.

don’t change your expectation of a backup to fit your narrative.

seriously eat some wheaties, think, think again before posting

15. Gremlin

I think this depends on what terms the label of BUST is being applied.

As a guy picked at #2 in the Draft, you would expect him to not be at the bottom of the rankings for his position and having to give up sizeable assets to replace after only 2 years.

however (and I have stated this elsewhere) - The Jets were in a position where they almost had no choice but to pick a QB that year and it wasn't Zach's fault that he was judged the BPA QB at that position. We all knew on taking him that he was nowhere near a certainty and required a massive amount of work and luck to be a viable NFL starter. it's also not like when we over payed to move up and took Sam when Allen and Lamar were still there.

He got a little screwed over by the QB premium as his tape was more of a late 2nd, 3rd rounder and that draft level is pretty much what he's played too.

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…he’s played like a 2nd/3rd rounder would be expected to play I guess…and honestly, none of the other QBs taken behind him are any better…Lance can’t get on the field, Fields has played but has been pretty much just as bad except he’s run for bigger plays…Jones just sucks…that year was Lawrence or bust, and Gase fucked that up by winning 2 meaningless games

In hindsight, sure would have been MUCH better to trade out of #2 and reap a bounty, but at the time, we desperately needed a QB and I can understand the pick…just too bad that he’s played so poorly…if he can continue to improve like he’s done over the last two and a half games, then maybe he’ll be serviceable…he has cut back on picks and raised his completion rate…he needs to continue to raise it, make more plays and score some TDs

17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I don’t need wheaties to see poor QB play.

You can lower your expectations to the dregs of the league but I won’t. He didn’t play well in those games. The Jets are at the bottom of the league in passing, red zone scoring, etc.. Clearly his game managing isn’t enough to keep the offense afloat.

“In American football, a game manager is a quarterback who, despite pedestrian individual statistics such as passing yards and touchdowns, also maintains low numbers of mistakes, such as interceptions and fumbles. Such a quarterback is seen as a major factor in neither his team's wins nor their losses; his performance is good enough to not negatively affect the performances of other players on his team, even if he himself does not have the skills to be considered an elite player”.

Notice the bold.

He’s certainly pedestrian and he’s limiting mistakes better than last season. He absolutely has a negative impact on players around him by struggling with a shorter field, missing open receivers, and failing to read defenses well.

As for my expectation, he was taken number 2 overall and after close to 30 games he’s not even good enough to be considered a game manager. That’s not a narrative, but I’ll forgive you if you didn’t eat some food you need to put logic to use today.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

literally just watched herbert a top 5 QB do all the same things last night.
    some of you need to watch the NFL more and not just the jets. we also watched hurts another top 5 QB do the same thing too on sunday.

according to PFF zach had 0 turnover worthy plays on sunday. he was the only QB to do that in the NFL. thats how we are built. grind out games and don't make mistakes on offense and let the D win it. if you want to watch a high flying offense, then go be a dolphins fan

19. RevisIsland18

again resetting his expectation. Doesn’t matter now that he was taken 2nd, he has sucked last two years and this year he was supposed to the be back up so expectation should be less. It’s your own fault for keeping high expectation for zw and not resetting it. He’s playing like the game manager everyone screamed for last year and be avg which he is now. With that expectation he’s done more than than enough. Which is backed up your own referenced quote

In American football, a game manager is a quarterback who, despite pedestrian individual statistics such as passing yards and touchdowns, also maintains low numbers of mistakes, such as interceptions and fumbles.”

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I added the half of the description you accidentally deleted back in.

Jets offense:

Bottom half of the league in ppg.

Middle of the league in interceptions.

Last in the league in passing ypg which obviously impacts the running game (which is ranked around 13th).

31st in Red Zone success rate.

ZW tossed 6 TD’s to 7 INT’s last season. He’s on the same pace this season at 4/5. The team on on the same pace record wise as well. It all adds up to a .500 football team.

I don’t think they built the team expecting results like this because nobody builds their team expecting results like this.

Rationalize it any way you want bud, but bad is bad. This offense, under this quarterback, is bad.

HomeoftheJets and Jets79 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.