And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Everyone will draw their own line; where that line is drawn is strictly a matter of opinion. On the other hand, attempting to dictate what lines are acceptable is...unacceptable.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Unless they've changed the rule, it's definitely pass interference. Woody Johnson, JD and Saleh need to raise HELL with the NFL, with the head of officials, the commissioner, and if they get no results there, then they need to go to the media. This BS has to stop. If that doesn't work, then maybe Woody needs to hire some Jersey wiseguys to pay some of those NFL bigshots a visit and make them an offer they can't refuse.

cval likes this.
  3. Ralebird

It was, "a little collision" according to the play-by-play guy; both the receiver and the defender have a right to get to the ball. The clip shows nothing that indicates either guy was playing the man instead of the ball. If a better view comes available we may see it differently.

Edited to add: Having looked at the whole game video of this play a few times, a replay was definitely shown with more comments about whose real estate is it? If anything, Uzomah ran directly into the defender who was waiting for the ball to arrive - it could have been offensive interference. Whatever GWilson was doing or having done to him was out of the screen both originally and in the replay.

#863 Ralebird, Oct 16, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
    cval likes this.
  4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The Jets defense outperformed Allen, Mahomes, and Hurts.

They would have been destroyed in these games if the defense didn’t show up to play because the Jets can’t score touchdowns in the Red Zone.

Pepsiguy5, SackRecord99 and Ralebird like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

What does the LOS have to do with it? I don't unmderstand why that should be part of the consideration.

6. NCJetsfan

It may have been legit by the rule, but I think the rule is dumb. I understand trying to protect players and not letting blockers hit players in the head or knees, but he was in front of the defensive player and hit him in the midsection. They are ruining the NFL. Football is a violent game. I've seen a couple of quotes from Jets players and they said that they want to be known as a violent team, so the CS must be coaching them to make these kinds of blocks, because I don't recall ever seeing Jets make these kinds of blocks before.

7. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

The all 22 might show him missing open receivers but we'll never know what Zach is being coached/told to do on a particular play.

We may have 4 receiving options out there but he's being directed to look at Garrett as read 1, Lazard as read 2 and then (because the coaches know he's too slow to progress any further) chuck it away or checkdown.

He's a back-up QB in a scheme designed for a HOFer so it's probably unwise to make him go through a full route tree and stand back there for over 3 seconds behind our O-Line.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Which is why I just ignored it for over a month.

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

The LOS doesn't really have anything to do with it. The player can't block towards his own end zone. I sometimes say towards the LOS because the majority of these block happen down field

10. Ralebird

So why change your approach now?

11. NCJetsfan

He's rightfully getting blame for several reasons. One, Hackett isn't going with Zach's strengths rollouts and play action very often. Two, when one frequently runs the ball on 1st and 2nd down it puts the QB at a distinct disadvantage, as it's very predictable and easier to defend. Three, the KC game provides a clear example. The Jets got down by 17 points, and Hackett became much more aggressive with downfield throws and his play calling became less predictable, he used more rollouts and play action, and the offense started clicking. As soon as the Jets tied the game, Hackett went back to more conservative and predictable play calling, and the rollouts and PA practically stopped, if not totally stopped.

As far as missing open receivers running downfield, unless Zach has been totally misreading the D, which I have seen/heard no convincing evidence in that regard, he's going through his progressions. Could he improve on reading the Ds and get through his progressions faster? Yes, undoubtedly, but he's going through his progressions. On the supposed missed pass to Conklin in the EZ, GW was his 2nd read and was open and running towards the goal line. IMO there was no reason for Zach to look elsewhere, especially with the inconsistent way the OL has played and his trying to get the ball out more quickly.

burf and cval like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’m not. I still don’t care about the stupid minutia and the pissing contests and the “sunshiners” and the “haters”. I’m assuming it will slow down during the bye and maybe there will be better convos around here. A big win sure helps.

Ralebird likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NO, he did not!

14. Ralebird

As far as the prior pass to GWilson, the defender was close with some minimal contact, no grabbing; his arm did not go across Wison's shoulder until Wilson got his hand on the ball at full extension. The only thing wrong with that play was the ball was thrown too high.

#874 Ralebird, Oct 16, 2023
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the defender has the same right as the WR to the space and the ball. so a defender playing the ball blocking the WR with his body is not PI. Most of PI comes down to whether the defender is playing the ball or not really. It's a really subjective penalty thats called very different by different refs. I didn't see the GW one so it's possible. smart DBs will hook an arm when body to body where the ref can't see it. it is a penalty but won't be called unless the ref sees it.

16. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I know a guy... A Capo but aaaaaaaaaaaaaa, I really do not want to ask for a favor, ya know.

NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  17. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

PI’s are tough to call or let go. Some are obvious and some are borderline that could go either way.

IMO the obvious PI’s should be where the spot of the foul occurred. When it is borderline PI it should be 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. I like that NCAA rule. So for example the questionable call on Sauce in KC should have been no call, at worst case 5 yard penalty like in college football.

#877 MDJets, Oct 16, 2023
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Are you just going to ignore the conklin miss last week vs Denver where the safety alignment should have dictated his reads rather than just assuming look here first, look her second, look here third? How can you still believe throwing to GW was the right decision? Jesus Christ

19. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

That was a great quick snap, and so was the free play that got called back by the Lazard penalty. Both were heads up plays he does not make last year.
    Making the easy plays, and playing smarter have elevated him from unplayable last year to a bottom of the league starter currently. It's a huge improvement. I don't think he gets enough credit for that. BUT, winning with a bottom of the league starter is not sustainable. 4 Turnovers won't happen every week and eventually the offense will need to carry the team and Zach will need to play much better to make that happen.

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

eagles, bills, and cheifs all have good Ds too. if zach was facing a weaker d.... it's all relative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.