And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya but some people take it personally--for example, him missing Uzomah the same way he missed Conklin last week, and a myriad of guys throughout his career can be pointed out but it may offend ZW sunshiners,

When you're +4 on turnovers and you win by 1 score, you gotta look at the offense critically.

I don't think anyone wants to tear into him today or maybe for the next 2 weeks cause we're all on cloud nine but he's gotta play better although he has improved in several ways the last 3 games--I was very impressed he didn't do the Fran Tarkenton scramble or lose the ball at any time. But we have to score TD's and thats on him--its the job.

Jets79, SOJAZ, SackRecord99 and 4 others like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah I was going to post that before. 4-0 on turnover margin and we essentially relied on a defensive score to win.

That’s something you see in an SEC game between Alabama and LSU 15 years ago.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I do agree with that, but the flipside is, he needs some help. we know what zach is, we need to "manufacture" more TDs with playcalling and skill positions making plays. zach isn't going head to head in a shootout and winning against a good QB. we got to play good D, control the ball, establish the run, and let zach have some easy throws and some throws on non obvious passing downs

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

On the positive side for ZW, he got that 12-men on the field penalty apparently on purpose ala Rodgers. I saw Rodgers had a headset--would be interested ot know if he cued him on that from the sidelines.

Jets79 likes this.
  5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I agree with that because all he needs is to hit the open guy for a TD when its available--thats the next stage and he needs to get there asap fingers crossed.

6. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

People keep forgetting, he's a back up...he's outperformed allen, mahomes and hurts. he's leaps and bounds better however this maybe his ceiling. he's doing an excellent job in the situation he's in which is a backup guy who had to step in when a-aron went down after 4 plays.

7. GasedAndConfused

we are also really weak at WR without GW. seeing lazard, hardman, and cobb out there was brutal. we should use more 12. seems like we are this year. looks like against the eagles we ran it around 40-43% of the time based on snap counts.

Acad23 likes this.
  8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That is not just on the QB it is on the offense as a whole. As was stated the Lazard penalty and the Uzomah no-call where big reasons we did not score a TD.

We will see if he missed Uzomah when somebody posts the all 22. We are not Sunshiners when you post stupid crap like he has no empathy. The offense needs to find ways to get the ball in the endzone no doubt and part of that is on Zach.

#848 cval, Oct 16, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
    burf, Borat, NCJetsfan and 1 other person like this.
  9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

4:28 how is that not PI?

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

would need a replay to confirm but I think i remember that one and it wasn't. the DB just stood there and CJ ran into him hoping to draw a flag. the DB has the same right to space and the ball as the WR

Ralebird likes this.
  11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

yep. and on another play, GW completely spun his man around from the slot and was wide open in the end zone

12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That is what they said. Per usual did not really show the replay. From what I saw it was not CJ running into him but I need to see again to be sure.

13. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

this is the play im talking about. GW is wide open.

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I can't tell from that clip but that pocket was collapsing hard.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The bold is the problem from my POV. Whenever I try to point out alternative reasons for why Zach has made mistakes (and I've freely acknowledged when he flat out screwed up), I'm called names like "ZW sunshiner", or "Zach fanboi", or most recently, a "clown". And TBF, I've often called those who consistently criticize Zach as "Zach Haters". When "discussion" gets to that point, it's not very productive.

Maybe, since Zach has obviously proven that he can at least make progress, and maybe even grow beyond this level, we can all lighten up and accept the reality of where he's at and discuss his performances on that basis.

burf, Jets79, Borat and 1 other person like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

I could be wrong, but i remember seeing a replay of it and thinking that wasn't PI good no call

Ralebird likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

Agreed. But also on the pass to GW right before that was PI - well disguised but the refs should've called it, and if it were any other team likely would have.

18. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

WTF boys... the team is 3 and 3. The kid is playing better so give him credit... he is incrementally - incrementally - getting better. My problem with him has been his inconsistency and the last few games he seems to be getting better at that. If he can improve and continue to make the incremental improvement, then we should be happy because it will make everyone else better.

Great win...

burf, NY Jets68, Borat and 4 others like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

I'd need to read the rule about PI, but my understanding is that even if it wasn't intentional, if a defender prevents a receiver from getting to a pass, it's pass interference. Anecdotally, I've seen this called against the Jets more than a few times.

And as I said to @cval I think the play before to GW was also PI that wasn't called. The defender was grabbing him under his arm so it wasn't real obvious, but then he also had his arm around his neck. Should've been called.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I had never thought of that aspect before, but I think that's an excellent point, and you may be spot on. If so think that AR could help him in that regard, as will continued maturation. He's still a kid. Unless he's just a total doormat (which I don't he is), he has a point where he will say "enough is enough" and he will stand up and speak out. I think he would do that by going to Hackett, then Saleh, then JD, and if they didn't support him, only then would he go to the media.

I think that his comment last year following the Patriot loss was an example that he can get speak out for himself. There's no way of knowing, and I could certainly be wrong, but it could be that he had had enough of MLF jerking him around at that point, but rather than criticize MLF and the Jets he just was defensive and defended himself. His Dad called him and said "What were you thinking?" and that kind of put Zach back in his place. Hopefully, one day soon, he will rebel against his father, Hackett, Saleh, and JD if necessary. If you're correct, I agree that his being a "good boy" and more passive could definitely be a part of what is holding him back. Perhaps unconsciously, he's more concerned with being thought a respectful, good person and player, than he is succeeding and winning. I think that he has a competitive nature, and if so, it will probably come out again. Perhaps as long as the team is winning, he could go along with subjugating himself, but if the team starts losing or if he starts taking a lot of heat in the media again or from his teammates, he could reach his breaking point.

Perhaps he needs to get really mad and just say "eff it" mentally and do what he wants. For one thing, he needs to stand up to the referees about their not calling RTP on pass rushers who hit him in the head, and complaining about it to the media, even if it costs him some money.

By the time Hackett was AR's playcaller in the Red Zone in GB, AR was already well on his way to being a HOF QB and he was given the freedom to change any play at the LOS.

burf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.