And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

eagles, bills, and chiefs all have exceptional defenses too and zach throwing 0 INTs in those games especially with playing from behind in all 3 is pretty impressive from a guy who was prone to throwing picks his 1st 2 seasons.

2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yup agree

My view is that Zach has raised his floor a bit. He seems to have gotten rid of the Yips on those short layup throws that every NFL QB makes 9 out of 10 times but Zach missed more than half of them. He also is quicker to just check down and take a short completion than he used to be….which is usually a good thing but it’s not ALWAYS the right decision.

So whereas last 2 years he was literally the worst rated QB in the league or bottom 3 at best, he’s now really more of a mediocre QB

But at least the main thing is over the last 3 weeks, he hasn’t cost us games…he’s not yet winning us games, but at least he’s not costing us games with stupid picks and bonehead sacks.

It’s kind of like he’s a brand new rookie and the OC has to baby him and bring him along, which sucks for a 3rd year guy who was drafted 2nd overall, but we’re stuck with him.

At this point, I don’t see JD going out and getting us another QB…I think they are going to roll with Zach and live with the consequences.

The main thing he needs to improve on is seeing the field and making the right throws…he hasn’t been very good here. And it shows in our inability to score TDs. His job is to move the offense and score points….really to score TDs so until and unless he can do that way better than he’s done so far in his career, he won’t be the answer. Sure, he’s elevated from being terrible to being mediocre. Progress I guess!

Let’s hope he continues to improve….

3. GasedAndConfused

wrong. the call was for a blindside block and it was the correct call. it sucks but it was a bonehead mistake by lazard

KY Jets Fan and IDFjet like this.
  4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

min agreement with you. Hopefully we will see more efficiency and better results in RZ.

I mean I am not a ZW fan but he is our QB at the moment and the best we got. And the team is trying to win games. Thats the focus for now .

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah it was a blindside block. But regardless of whether you think he was forcible enough or it fits the rule, they’re going to call that 10/10 times unfortunately.

I don’t like it, but it’s the nature of the NFL doling out billions of dollars in settlements because the game left too many people with brain damage. This is their ticky tack way of saying see - we’re getting rid of violent collisions.

Borat, KY Jets Fan and cval like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you are wrong. if it was for a crackback block the referee would've said that. They saw it as unnecessary roughness

7. BrowningNagle

Hines Ward made a living on those blocks

NY Jets68 and dawinner127 like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

it was for a blindside block and he did say it. you can never admit anything huh?

https://twitter.com/ i/status/1713684002761298059

take out the space between the / and i for the video link. it disappears if I post the link

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He’s going to be scrutinized until he proves he can be a consistency good football player, and if that happens he’ll still be scrutinized on a game to game basis.

That’s normal for sports fans and media and has been for as long as I’ve followed sports.

Some people love to talk about the wins and how he outplays these top tier QB’s. He’s not outplaying them. QB’s are never on the field at the same time. They’re having bad games against a good defense while he’s turning in sub par performances but not costing the team every game.

It’s progress.

He didn’t turn the ball over yesterday and the Eagles had 3 or 4, yet it still came down to the defense dominating and willing the team to victory.

We’ve seen what happens when an opponent has their way with this defense. The Jets offense just cant answer. That’s not all on ZW but the guy tends to fold like a cheep suit when the pressures on.

So we remain in the same place we’ve been most of this season. Zach Wilson has improved by cleaning up some of the uglier parts of his game.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

In retrospect, I see your point of view.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

i can’t make that work. Was that the actual call on the field or an explanation or something after the fact

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

"Personal foul. Unnecessary roughness, blindside block" is what he called. It's still a bogus penalty. Lazard hit him square in the chest. Blankenship was also still in the range of making the play so if Lazard lets him go and Blackenship makes the play he gets destroyed in film. BS call

NY Jets68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Lets say Lazard gets to the point but then just stands there like a basketball player taking a charge--would that be a blind side block as well since he came back toward the LOS?

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Backup quarterbacks have issues like reading the field and finding the open guy. Zach Wilson is a backup QB. It doesn't matter where he was drafted and how many years he's been in the league, he's a backup QB. That's what he was meant to be this year and he probably won't ever be more than that. Could he be better? Yes, and when you consider he's made a pretty quick leap from "worst QB in the league" to "you can win with him and he'll make some plays" there's reason to believe he'll get better. But people have to divorce themselves from this idea that he should be a starting-caliber QB just because he was the 2nd pick and the team put resources into him for the last two years.

Also, Hackett has been fine. Not great but certainly not bad. He's slowly opening up the playbook and to say he called a conservative game is not accurate. Not to defend him too much but he had to completely restructure the offensive game plan after week 1 of the season for a QB who didnt take any first team snaps in training camp and even if he did it would STILL be a QB learning a new offense. He's doing about as well as he could be given the circumstances. What I can't stand are his personnel decisions. Enough with Randall fucking Cobb.

Borat likes this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

100%

I don’t really get this “he outperformed Mahomes and Allen and Hurts” talk track…uhm, no…they don’t play against each other. It means nothing…or I guess another way of looking at it would be to say hey if Zach were playing our D, would he do better than Mahomes and Allen and Hurts did? Unlikely.

What matters is if we win the game or not.

And so far, Zach has elevated from his historical bottom of the league rating and losing us games, to a more mediocre rating and NOT losing us games in the last couple. OK fine…not AWESOME, but it’s progress. It’s a positive. I’m happy to see it. He can be a competent backup QB…at least that’s kind of what I see him as right now. Just don’t shit the bed.

He has improved his completion rate and he’s making less outright bonehead plays. I’m very happy to see that and I’ll give him credit for it.

Next step is he needs to learn to read defenses and see the field better. I did see a few examples they showed on the TV view where you see him scanning the field….but I don’t recall that Uzumah play that’s been mentioned…I’ll have to rewatch the game.

But if he can take that next step and start making more plays, it’ll lead to TDs and then we’ll have something. He’s not there yet.

But I’ll give him credit…he’s now beaten Denver twice (a team we historically have issues with) in Denver, he’s beaten Pitt on the road, and he’s beaten the Eagles who we’ve NEVER beaten (still crazy that we’ve only played them 12 times…hard to imagine that) so while he’s not the reason we won those games, he at least didn’t cost us those games.

Still, it’s hard to win this way…we needed a punt return TD to beat the Bills, we needed a 70 yard run to beat Denver, and we needed 4 turnovers to beat Philly. Clearly Zach is just along for the ride here, but again, at least he didn’t cost us those games. It’s just hard to be THAT good on D and special teams consistently…the rules won’t let you. It’s all about offense and scoring points.

SackRecord99 and Jets81 like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

it was at the point of attack, if you can’t block a guy like that the league really is a joke

17. GasedAndConfused

personal foul, unnecessary roughness, blindside block which was the correct call

if he turned his back and let the defender run into him, he is fine. if he sets and extends the arms and blocks with his hands he is fine. but lazard lowered his shoulder into the defender making it a penalty. you can't use your helmet, shoulder, or forearm to make forceable contact in that situation.

Acad23, IDFjet and KY Jets Fan like this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you know, watching the games, it kind of feels to me a little bit like Hackett is pretty much treating Zach as if he’s a brand new rookie and he’s trying to bring him a long slowly, spoon feeding him a little at a time. No idea if that’s intentional or not, but that’s kind of the feeling I get. Limit the tough situations, and on 3rd and longs, give him an easy outlet checkdown he can hit if he doesn’t see anything downfield, kind of like saying fine, at least get a few positive yards and we’ll punt it and try again instead of forcing a harder throw that can lead to a pick.

Just a feeling…

19. GasedAndConfused

1/3rd of all concussions in the league were due to that type of block. it's a safety rule. same way the added the horsecollar one after the TO injury. he can block if he extends his arms and blocks with his hands. he can stand in the way with his arms up. he can't lower his shoulder into the defenders chest

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"Piece of crap" is your language, not mine - I find it odd that you are so apt to use that term. At the end of the day this is indeed simply a game - a game that people pay good money to see. Sport is a form of entertainment that has globally, historically and famously been adorned with the custom of public response - both critical and favorable; there is absolutely no reason to suspend those norms for a select few participants. They are all highly paid adult professionals who know the customs of the game and the customers long before they sign a contract. Why would anyone be interested in regulating or controlling such response absent it being dangerous to public safety?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.