And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This board has officially “jumped the shark”

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  2. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Building on from the "would you have Danny Dimes at that price or Zach" - I found a statistical category that has Zach comfortably in mid-table/average land!!!

$ per yards and $ per QBR point

[​IMG]

3. BrowningNagle

A clear example of poor data analysis. Guys like Howell, Ridder, and Joshua Dobbs are seen as good value and guys like Burrow, Hurts and Allen aren't. Everyone who watches the sport would say that's crazy

It is broken because the discrepancy in pay is much larger than the discrepancy in QBR number and you get 1 "unit" in either direction for each. So a high paid QB is likely heading to the bottom no matter what

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It's like power tools from Harbor Freight..... while they may be a "good Value", If you're a pro, you'll probably be better off spending the premium to get the job done... ;)

Jets81, Acad23, abyzmul and 1 other person like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

but we will give you a free flashlight!

abyzmul and stinkyB like this.
  6. stinkyB

hahaha..... I have those things all over the garage.... mostly with dead batteries though

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Stats do not always tell the entire story.

8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

It has bearing but its conjecture and since its during the week why not bat it around?

We often hear of guys "who would run through a brick wall" for a coach or QB--Aaron receives this kind of respect from many players.

ZW obviously doesn't have the respect from the players certainly partly due to his play, but it could also be they simply don't care for the guy and you put those 2 things together and its a losing situation.

That little extra go-for-the-ball by a WR that Aaron may get ZW will not get as he is known for putting his receivers in jeopardy--how do you think they feel about that? You'll probably say thats their job etc., but I'm talking about spirit that pushes one just a little more--ZW will not get that and he may even make those around him less active due to his play and his personality.

9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I have taken a while to weigh in on the recent Zach 'revival' because I was away from home and did not get chance to watch the KC game until today. I followed the game in a weird way... through the game thread on here, which was surreal and strangely exciting.

So I knew he had done better and then I watched the Denver game live, where I thought he did some good things and some bad things but overall looked about average.

Today I finally cleared work out of the way and was able to watch the Chiefs game. What I was concerned about was whether or not this would be just a few flukey throws, or lots of bounces going his way. He has been so bad for so long that I could not see how it could be anything other than that. Just the game before I had given up on him following that 'running backwards under pressure' fiasco.

But this really wasn't that. It wasn't a string of flukey plays. What it was, was good quarterback play, with some absolutely brilliant plays sprinkled in. I'm not going to bore everyone with too much detail - everybody has their own take and most are unwilling to shift their thinking, and I can understand that given the weight of evidence on each side.

But for now at least, I'm a believer. I just don't think you can play as well as that without having real ability. Whatever has been holding him back, I believe he has the ability to be a good starting quarterback for us.

Of course he might regress, or revert to type, or however you want to phrase it. I'm a Jets fan. I know how this works. But a good game followed by a solidly average game is such a huge improvement I am willing to switch camps. I always hoped he would get it, of course. I never rooted against him. But now I believe in him. I think he's going to turn into a good quarterback for us.

There, I've said it. I hope whatever respect you ever had for my opinions on this board has not just evaporated!

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

First of all, Zach does not hang his receivers out to dry. Second, His teammates seem to like him. Thirdly, this is stupid these are professional athletes.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

after all the shit talked about zack "only" putting up 1 offensive TD and "only" scoring 22 on offense, it was better then the mahomes led chiefs did last night against denver.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's "respect" per se that guys like Rodgers has as much as belief in him. He, Brady, Mahomes, P. Manning, et. al. produced so many magical moments that their teammates just believed that as long as there was time, and as long as they themselves did everything they could, they could win. Obviously Zach hasn't shown that, although he's shown some glimpses.

As for "not caring for the guy", there may have been something to that prior to this year, but I think that's changed. Part of that is Zach withstanding the piles of criticism heaped on him while keeping his mouth shut and continuing to work hard. Part of it is that Aaron has "adopted" him and he's become likeable by association. And how many players like Big Ben?

As with any profession, you need to earn respect, and it's a process over time. I think Zach is making progress on this too.

IDFjet likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

Lots of guys in that room are disappointed they have to play with Wilson instead of Rodgers.

Garrett Wilson is one of them, that kid was so upset, you can just see it

Cook is another one

I personally think it’s only a matter of time before this thing falls apart like last year and we are booing Wilson off the field for a practice squad guy. But I hope I’m wrong

14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I liked his KC game too. Not so much the DEN game due to the fumbles .I don't know about "switching camps" tho lol because you may have to switch back. But some optimism is called for I agree with that.

NCJetsfan, ouchy and ukjetsfan like this.
  15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--people are people--they need to keep their mouths shut and rightfully so--but in the privacy of their homes how can they be happy with ZW? Question is if it runs deeper than just his physical attributes.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

10 of those 22 points came on a muffed punt that led to a field goal with the offense doing nothing, as well as a 72 yard Breece rushing TD.

IDFjet, papapump and stinkyB like this.
  17. stinkyB

and a safety ;)

HomeoftheJets and BrowningNagle like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

Can't wait to see what this week's safety is like

19. BrowningNagle

Zach Wilson is better than Pat Mahomes, you've convinced me

IDFjet likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

and the chiefs offense didn't benefit from 2 INT?

i already took out the safety and defensive TD from the points scored

never said. just pointing out how dumb some comments look here.

If mahomes was a jet, you'd be shitting on him too right now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.