AVT Out for season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Oct 9, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I didn't watch him this week (yet) as I was out of town and got back just in time for the jets game. i'll watch him though, I know for a fact you didn't and you are just arguing to argue. you didn't even know he was starting due to injury or that he couldn't beat out an awful journeyman OT for a spot on a team with one of the best coaches in the NFL

2. GasedAndConfused

maybe, maybe not. it's way too soon to call mcdonald a failure.
    and yes the niners have a ton of talent, nobody is disputing that. but they also whiffed on a alot of picks. got lucky with purdy, and sucked when they had a lot of injuries. do you not remember them losing half their team in back to back weeks against the giants and jets and going 6-10 from it? no team is immune to injuries. if we had a healthy rodgers we'd be SB contenders. if purdy goes down, I doubt the niners do much

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

He seemed to excel at RT.

Maybe Max Mitchell can move inside to play guard next year.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And yet you still disputed multiple accounts from these who did that he was good. Why?

5. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

he was top on our board though so it is what it is. that same type of drafting got us sauce when CB "wasnt a need" and GW and breece.

I'd trade them for three pro-bowl offensive linemen in a heartbeat.

ouchy likes this.
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Elite pass rushers are a rare and valuable commodity.

Not all of them are studs in their first year.

He may be a project but the upside could justify the risk.

If you are using your draft to fix immediate holes instead of looking towards the future you are doing it wrong.

BAP is almost never a bad decision.

7. GasedAndConfused

maybe because i have a buddy who is a die hard steelers fan and actually knows his shit too and doesn't have "bad hot takes based on nothing" and I asked him how he did and he said solid at best. not bad for a 1st start. nothing great. which actually lines up with that article you quoted a headline of but didn't read, and matches his PFF score so...... meanwhile I know you didn't watch anything and are basing it on a headline so.... shrug

8. GasedAndConfused

bingo! finally some reason around here.

just like 2019 Q was a "luxury" and we already had big cat and we could have taken josh allen and needed an edge more. meanwhile allen is a mid tier rusher at this point and Q is a dominant top 3-4 DT and everyone here is happy we have him.

Mogriffjr and James Hasty like this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

No, just...no.

Firstly, McDonald wasn't ever considered elite, or even a blue chip. In fact, its widely believed we overdrafted him as his average projection was 30th.

But mostly, we just went all in for Rodgers with a shaky line to protect him. Not drafting for need in that circumstance is monumentally inept.

And when is drafting to fix holes not looking towards the future?

10. GasedAndConfused

thats the same ranking breece hall had and he turned out elite.

James Hasty likes this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Breece wasn't the 15th pick.

Centiment and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Then why are you arguing? Solid, not bad, PFF rating 75. This is good. Looks like we all agree, he was not bad, while Duane was terrible. Like I said you argue just to argue. Oh yeah, and we should have had him.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  13. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

I agree achillies injuries are luck of the draw, however we seem to have a bunch of bad luck injuries on a yearly basis, so it’s got me questing things as a whole. Beyond achillies injuries

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I watched the entire Steelers game and while I didn’t really watch Jones in particular pressure wasn’t a huge problem in one on one situations all day. They got to Pickett when they sent more than the Steelers could block.

So I’d guess he played fine for his first start. Zero running room all day though.

Borat likes this.
  15. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

back to back seasons where he can't stay healthy, great picks by the great Jd. No wonder our offensive line is shit. Him and Bechton played like 15% of the games, great use of 1st round picks. Seems like every player jd drafted on offense besides breece has been a bust, ironic how a guy who was a offensive player knows nothing about offense. Jd's next lost will be the magic 50, what a great gm.

#95 jets4848, Oct 10, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
  16. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

"At Shea Stadium November 10th,1968. Jets WR George Sauer makes the very tough catch in the mud against Houston Oilers DB Larry Carwell. On this day Jets QB Joe Namath completes just 7 of 20 passes for 185 yards but Sauer caught 4 of those for 128 yards. The Jets won this mud fest 26-7."
    [​IMG]

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

1000% yes.
    Cannot rely on the draft for rookies to fill gaping holes, that would be a terrible approach.
    FA is where those holes need to be addressed.

Early rounds of draft always take best talent.
    The draft is about the future, not present season.

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Never draft to “fix” holes. That’s a terrible approach that causes missed talent opportunities. If we did that approach we wouldn’t have the best players currently on the team.
    Not adding an OT in FA was the miss.

19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Oh, God, c'mon. Is this a joke? Vera-Tucker and Aaron Rodgers can clink glasses together and talk about old times, I guess! o_O

I read yesterday about a half hour before this thread was started that it was his leg, NOT his achilles, and that he would "miss time", but was NOT GFTS. It was too vague to feel good about, but Holy Smokes, what a buzzkill.

20. The80sJets

The80sJets Active Member

BAP is a good strategy when you actually pick the best available player. McDonald certainly doesn’t look promising right now (especially considering he’s an older rookie).

I will say that this years draft as a whole looks pretty underwhelming.

ouchy and teamgreen like this.