And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

BINGO. I noticed that as well, and I don't understand why they went back to trying to turn him into a pocket passer. It's not like he just played better when they mixed it up - he was a real NFL quarterback.

burf, KY Jets Fan, barfolomew and 4 others like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO that's the problem with having a HC who is a former defensive coach. In general they want to win with D, and be more conservative on offense. They don't have a clue how to develop or handle a QB. Hackett may never have worked with a young QB. Hackett's forte and his upwards limit might be in just designing plays. His father was conservative, and usually apples don't fall too far from the tree. I hope that I'm wrong. I hope that he is more aggressive and it was Saleh that told him to go back to a more conservative style of play once the Jets tied the game. If so, then maybe Saleh will have learned his lesson, and allow Hackett to keep being aggressive with Zach, even if he throws some interceptions. They have got to let him play in the way that he plays best. If Saleh can't understand that, then he's not qualified to be a HC in college, much less the NFL.

#122 NCJetsfan, Oct 3, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
    burf, barfolomew, dmw and 2 others like this.
  3. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Came here to eat crow after calling for his head last week. He played well- like an NFL QB. He’s clearly putting in the work and something clicked. Can’t ask more from your backup. Let’s see if he keeps this up and then maybe talk about his long term prospects with the team.

4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Zach’s been a terrible NFL quarterback for almost his entire career. There are people around him that share some of that blame, but he’s made terrible decisions over and over again that cost the team wins. Those are the facts.

He’s shown improvement this season even in bad games. Things that are tangible. Things that are repeatable. He’s repeated them in games this season. If he continue to do so he’ll salvage his career and then some perhaps. Here’s hoping…

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How could anybody not like the guy? And how could the Jets organization not keep him in the loop? He went out of his way to not make them look bad in that regard. Kind of affirms my belief that Woody Johnson does not associate very often with NFL people and also my belief that they haven't done enough to try to get Matt Snell back in the building.

burf and barfolomew like this.
  6. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I just got back from being in Europe for 12 days so I missed the Chiefs game. I still haven't even watched the highlights. The stats looked pretty damn good but didn't he have a key late fumble that pretty much ended the game? Anyways, I'm far from appreciating him, but, hopefully, he keeps getting better, and then I'll appreciate the number 2 overall pick. Now, I'm going to try to catch up on everything.

KY Jets Fan and barfolomew like this.
  7. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

The KC Swifties started with the philosophy of daring Zach to beat them in the air and essentially playing man on the back end.

Once Zach showed he could take a 3-step, go 1st read, 2nd read, dump-off and we were moving the ball, KC decided to play a regular NFL defensive scheme.

You'd imagine that other teams will now follow suite and we'll see if Zach can read coverages, make throws into zones and maybe run a proper RPO option.

The_Darksider and PulseJet like this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

On the Jets last offensive possession, down 3, Zach lost a fumble. There was still 7:30 minutes in the game and KC was able to run off 15 plays and kill the clock.

KY Jets Fan and Savatage like this.
  9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I agree. Although I was still routing for him, I had written him off last week. I thought the 1st half of the KC game would be his last. To say the least, I was pleasantly surprised!

burf likes this.
  10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The human brain isn't fully mature until age 25. He just turned 24, so he's almost 100% there!

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Sorry, I know you were trying to acknowledge Zach's improvement, but your opening statement detracts from that. His "entire career"? You mean the year and a half he's played in the NFL, at the now ripe old age of 23? LOL! And most of that time playing in a system almost diametrically geared away from what he does best, behind an OL that at its best is mediocre?

Yeah, there's no reason in the world why this guy hasn't had it click.:rolleyes:

12. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

That's a great point. But at the same time, I hope they can find ways to keep guys in motion and run those little misdirects. Plus, it helps when you put guys with speed in there. Just look at the difference.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I second that feeling.

burf and barfolomew like this.
  14. jackie1013

jackie1013 Member

I’ve done my share of Zach bashing but I have also laid blame on the kid’s coaching or lack there of. I think Aaron Roger’s presence may have made a difference. I’m pulling for him, I want nothing more than to see him succeed, he’s still young and he definitely has guts, let’s hope he can build on last week’s performance.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree Zach had a good game on Sunday and if he plays anywhere near this level, we will win a lot of games. We can also all agree that there hasn't been many games like this in the past, but going forward Zach needs to keep this up, starting now. If he can do that, who knows maybe we will make play-offs this year, it is not out of the question just yet.

It starts with Denver this week. Denver is the prefect opponent to build on last week's performance, because they are far and away the worst defense in NFL. So far everyone looked good against them. If what Zach did last Sunday is really the new and improved version, and not a mirage or flash in the pan, what an opportunity it is for him to get against the worst defense in NFL and stack two excellent performance together, and go from there. If he does it, we beat Denver, get within a game of .500 and start making the play-off run. I think we will learn a lot more on where Zach is really at on Sunday.

SOJAZ, Cman68, ukjetsfan and 5 others like this.
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The behavior of my 25 year old self disputes this comment...

dmw, burf, HomeoftheJets and 3 others like this.
  17. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Zach's incompetent play against the Pats perfectly set up his effective play against the Chiefs. A job well done flipping the script by whoever.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

So does my 49 year old self.

stinkyB and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Everyone wants him to succeed but he was the worst rated QB who qualified 2 years in a row and he may set the record by doing it 3 years in a row. He’s been objectively terrible no matter who you want to blame. It’s been deeper than scheme and personnel. I know you know that because you watch the games. Unforced errors. Balls in the dirt. Unable to read defenses. Hero ball. Running 20 yards backwards, etc etc.

He played solid yesterday but he also made critical mistakes with a poor throw to the end zone and the fumble. Oh, and they lost the game.

He’s improving but it doesn’t erase his past and what he’s cost this team in his short time with it. You’re correct that he’s young so times on his side. Hopefully he continues to trend upward.

SackRecord99, Jets79, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Well he's ahead of Daniel Jones and Joe Burrow at the moment. Things are looking up!

dmw, ColoradoContrails and Jets81 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.