And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I know... it's one game.
    But I'm coming from a different place.
    Honestly, has anyone ever seen a young QB get lambasted, destroyed, disrespected, piled on, & so publicly humiliated... etc, like Zach has been over these past two years?

And I was part of it... he was the spoiled rich-kid, with accuracy issues that I didn't want on the team.
    From his first snap, there was a part of me that was rooting for him to fail.
    That started to change after the 2nd Pats loss last season... the one when Zach said he didn't feel like he was letting the D down.

The next week, I started seeing a change in him, in his pressers & interviews.
    He stood there & answered tough questions, when I'm sure he just wanted to run away & hide.
    I've always seen that Zach has an arm, & is a good athlete.
    But his heart & head didn't seem to match his athletic ability.
    With that 1st presser after the Pats loss, I saw the beginning of a maturation process.

Since, he's shown me he has heart... he could've folded up, shrunk, sulked & gone into a shell, but he didn't.
    He came back this season, with his tail between his legs, took his fall from grace gracefully, & worked his butt off.
    Watching his presser after yesterday's game, I saw a man... no longer the spoiled, rich kid.
    Somehow, he's been able to rally himself, & make huge maturity strides.
    And yesterday, we saw some of that translate onto the field, with some help from Hackett, Downing, & AR.

Will it continue... we'll see, but for now, here's a big kudo to Zach, for having the courage to man up & not fold.
    Zach... this one's for you!

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Lets see how far this carries over. We still don't know which Zach shows up next week against Denver. At least the OLine seems stable enough now and Hackett has sped up the offense. Time will tell but fact is, this team is 1-10 in its last 11 games. Not good.

KY Jets Fan, NYJetsO12, Borat and 3 others like this.
  3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Maybe Joe Namath calling him out is what got Zach and our coaches to start taking things seriously.

Jojo and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I am two feet out on this boat and it isn't close for me. Willie Colon said it really well on the SNY post game. We just watched him do it and it's on the film. Now go do it every time. This is the bar you are going to be held to from here on out.

Jojo, SackRecord99, twown and 5 others like this.
  5. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Yes, we've all seen the negatives, but this thread is about something very positive... Zach is growing up!
    And yesterday, it started showing on the field, under a national spotlight.

dmw likes this.
  6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I think rodgers presence added energy . I hope this continues

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We have been waiting a while for a game like last night for Zach to prove he can be a good QB. Zach is only in his third season which some on here seem to forget. Zach has shown he could make throws (He made some great throws in the Pats game) but he has not shown he could play an entire game at a high level like last night. He now has and the expectations have changed for him. We expect him to play at this level more often than not.

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Is this a joke? The last QB he commentated on a national stage was Pennington and we all know how that turned out

9. bicketybam

This should be good [​IMG]

10. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Zach plays one good game and I couldn't watch it. I am recovering from lung disease and I shut the TV off and went to bed after we went down 17-0. Now I have to watch the full game from somewhere.

We already have a Zach appreciation thread but I won't bother merging it.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You Tube... Skip the commercials.

KY Jets Fan and Brook! like this.
  12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Completely agree. As well as Zach played in Qs 2 and 3, his failure to get any yardage in Q1 gave KC the ball too many times to keep them off the scoreboard with the offensive weapons they have. In Q4, when you really need your QB to make plays, he was unable to sustain what he did in the previous 2 Qs. He was better than before, but he still has a long way to go to be a FQB IMO.

BrooklynJetsFan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I’ve been an ardent detractor of all things Zach. This past week was on another level. Human nature sometimes brings a mob mentality, and last week’s national drubbing of Zach was completely over the top. Even after you have Harrison being a dick on national tv calling Zach garbage and baiting Chris Jones to join in. Chris Jones wasn’t having it at all.

After the game you may have noticed Mahomes pulled Zach in and emphatically spoke in Zach’s ear offering praise and confidence. Zach may be a lot of bad things, but he’s a hardworking kid under immense pressure already. The team rallied around him, our opponent offered the highest respect to him, and even Micah Parsons tweeted about the awful treatment Zach has received. It almost felt like the players in the league rallying around one of their own, and it clearly had an effect on Zach.

Sometimes being punched in the nose and humiliated is just the fire that’s needed to get up and finally fight for yourself. Maybe that was Zach’s moment. One can dream.

Pepsiguy5, dmw, NCJetsfan and 5 others like this.
  14. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Never seen that thread.
    If you want to watch a good copy of the game, you can always download games at TYT...
    Code:
    https://talk.tenyardtracker.com/t/nfl-2023-week-04-chiefs-at-jets/24725
    Feel better, bro... heal well!

Pepsiguy5, twown, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  15. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I'll try this one last time... yes, we all know all the negatives, about the past, & have no clue about the future.
    But I started this thread to focus on something positive.
    People can go into an infinite number of threads critiquing Zach, but once, how about enjoying the present, & the fact that the kid is growing up.
    It drives me crazy that so many "Jets fans" have to be right about their takes, & instead of feeling positive about an unexpected step forward, have to focus on past negatives.
    Damn, if Zach was like you guys, he'd have quit after last season.

And that's my point, Zach hasn't quit, & is trying like hell to fix himself.
    He's withstood unprecedented criticism, & seems to have landed on his feet... kinda remarkable to me, to witness a person's maturation process in such a public way. The ultimate reality show.
    Whether he continues to translate that onto the field, we'll see, but for this moment, the kid deserves a lot of credit.

16. bicketybam

Holy shit the irony in this thread. I just can't.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The rest of the game should make you feel much better. Get well quick!

KY Jets Fan and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

someone on the radio made a great point...everyone wanted to get on the daniel jones train and bam, one seaon later, he's the savior. i think last night was a career defining game. as others have said, zw has been taking lot of shit past 2 weeks and could've said f it but he did. came out bit flat but ended STRONG! he has the tools/skills and now something seem to have clicked. I am jets fan first, so i will root for anyone to do better. it started last night, next stop a beat down in denver!

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you're expecting the long time Zach haters to finally admit that maybe, just maybe there's some hope, and that they weren't exactly right about him being a bust, well, don't hold your breath.;)

But while many are attributing this "sudden transformation" was due to something finally clicking in Zach - and there's probably some truth to that - I think the main reason was that Hackett FINALLY created a game plan suited to his strengths. When was the last time they opened a game with 3 straight passing plays when Zach was the QB? Or calling 40 pass plays? It was no coincidence that very quickly the running game opened up - although giving the ball to Cook was a sure way to shut it back down again.

For me, the thing that signals that he's finally turned the corner - not that he won't have shitty games or make mistakes - is that he was asked to play against arguably the best QB in the NFL in prime time, with the entire football nation watching and he outdueled Mahomes. It was Mahomes who blinked, not Zach. THAT was the kid growing into a man.

EDIT: And for those who are giddily predicting a stomping of the Broncos, don't get ahead of yourself. This game is in Denver - and why do the Jets always have to play them there? - where they have struggled. Even last year when they won, it was the game that Breece was lost for the season. It won't be easy by any stretch.

20. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

even if zw plays well rest of the season and jets somehow makes the POs, they will still say, its only one year...

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.