Best QBs Available?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by heartpumpsgreen, Sep 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

At the risk of being accused of trying to make excuses for Zach, let me offer an alternative explanation. As you and others have noted, even the worst QBs usually "catch lightening in a bottle" at least once, and yet Zach hasn't. The other failed QBs you listed shared one thing in common: none of them had a reputation for working hard, they came into the league and just expected to succeed and when they didn't they faded away. But Wilson by all reports has worked hard from the beginning, even trying to remake how he plays to fit LaFleur's system. And a big part of that system calls for low risk play by the QB and getting the ball into the hands of playmakers. Contrast that with how Zach earned his reputation at BYU as gunslinger and making big plays by extending them with his feet. When you factor in that up until this year the Jets haven't had a full stable of playmakers (Breece went out after 5 games last year and that's when the wheels started falling off), and the Jets having drilled into Zach an avoidance of risk at all costs, that would provide an explanation for why we haven't seen even one game where he played with abandon and lit things up.

Of course, the Occam's Razor explanation: he just sucks, is the more likely at this point, but I just find it odd that a guy who played with such abandon before coming to the Jets simply became Checkdown Charlie. In any case, at this point, this is what the Jets have and whether they keep him around and continue to hope Rodgers can resurrect him, or they end the Zach Wilson Experiment, he hasn't shown anything to warrant continuing to play him.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

except he was never a good QB and hasn't played in 6 years. watson was a top 5 QB and missed almost 2 years and has been ass since. the idea that a decent at best QB who hasn't played in 6 years would have much to offer is bad. kap is beyond washed

3. ColoradoContrails

Maybe, but would he really be worse than Boyle or Siemien? IMO I'd rather give him a shot than those two.

Fiftynine and westiedog1 like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Regardless of what anyone thinks about Kaepernick’s cause or his ability or whatever happened between him and the league - he brings way more of a media circus with him than any franchise could sustain at this point.

On top of his huge hiatus from the league, that’s one more reason why no team has signed him. Again, I’m not saying what I think about what happened, but the reality is that franchises stayed the hell away because the locker room doesn’t need that.

It’s no different than Tebow really even though he was a lot better than Tebow and we did that stupid shit.

stinkyB, dawinner127 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The Jets have already crossed the Rubicon as far as media circus is concerned when they signed Rodgers. The “haggis is in the fire” as Scotty would say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That sort of media attention is fine. They brought in a Hall of Fame player who was really excited to be here for on the field purposes and embraced being in NYC/New Jersey.

Everyone likes to rag on Rodgers for various things but he was more excited about being a Jet than any free agent I ever remember or even some homegrown guys like Darrelle Revis.

Brook!, REVISion, Acad23 and 5 others like this.
  7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Sign Kaepernick, starting running some wildcat, have a live band performance rotation at home games between Rage Against The Machine, Public Enemy and Wu-Tang.... let's get exta crazy. HBO will really wish they had in-season Hard Knocks, and Woody may have an aneurysm.... LETS GO

Brook!, Acad23 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

oh he could absolutely be worse. I know people look at zach compared to other starters and see he's bad, but comparing him to kap is like saying oh this college QB with 5 TDs and 30 INTs on the year can't be worse then zach. the reality is they can be. Zach is still a top 50 player at QB in the world. nobody coming off their couch is going to help.

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Kapernick will never play in the NFL again because he sued the league and they had to pay him millions of dollars. They already wanted to blackball him for being divisive. Now that they have lost a million dollar lawsuit against him he will never be in another NFL uniform. This isn't social politics, its corporate politics. If the guy really loved football he'd be in the CFL. He doesn't love football, he loves being the center of attention.

REVISion likes this.
  10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He’s the 2nd worst QB of the last decade. He isn’t top 50. You’re being too nice.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Kap is the kind of decisive player to make fans turn on their own team…. Wait a second

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

i'm talking right now. in the entire world. even the worst QBs in the NFL are top 100 in the world. they don't fall off trees. it's the top .0001% of the top .0001% to even get drafted into the NFL

dawinner127 likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

I didn't ask if he could be worse than Zach. I asked if he could really be any worse than Boyle or Siemien. Yes, I know he certainly could be, but IMO he might be better.

westiedog1, papapump and stinkyB like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

is it possible? maybe, but really not likely. a mediocre QB who hasn't played in 6 years. he tried working out for teams a couple of years ago, nobody signed him. he's been begging for a job and claiming he was blackballed over kneeling but the reality is he just isn't good and has been out of football for too long. he's a 100 times worse version of fields or lance. and with his age and being out of football probably lost a lot of his mobility and he never was smart with the ball or accurate.

15. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

At this point. The highlight of 2023 is going to be the jets getting a restraining order against kaepernick

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

No way is Zach top 50. I wouldn't even put him top 64. Top 100 probably because now you're talking about guys like Boyle, Peterman, etc.

SackRecord99, stinkyB and dawinner127 like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

lets say for instance he's the worst starter in the NFL (which i'm not really sure about because fields is pretty bad and we have 3 rookie starters and it's early to judge them and none have looked good really. but lets take the 3 rookies out since it's too soon. that leaves 29 starters. if zach is the worst that puts him at 29. to not be top 50 you are claiming that 21 backups are better then him? I highly doubt it. you probably can't name 25 backups without looking them up. I could say a few like minshew, winston, dalton, hell i'll even give you mike white if you want but no way every backup is better then him. he's top 50 for sure and will likely have a sanchez like career where he bounces around a little being a backup. everyone wants wentz or ryan but both aren't in the NFL for good reason. there are only like 64 active QBs in the NFL and another 30 or so PS QBs. fans are just over exgerrating becuase they are angry and emotional zach sucks without realizing that sure he sucks, but we don't have much of a better choice at this point. we had a top 5 QB and he got hurt and now we are stuck with a backup. shit happens.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yes I'm saying 21 backups are better than him. Off the top of my head, backups better than Zach include Trubisky, White, Zappe, Huntley, Keenum, Levis, Minshew, Mills, Henne, Rush, Lance (at least there's a chance with him), Heinicke, Mariota, Brissett, Hooker once off IL, Gabbert, Dalton, Winston, Dobbs, Darnold, of course our new guy Siemian, and frankly the guy who beat him out in Browning. That's 22 right there. Throw in free agents like Wentz, Foles, and Ryan, and we're up to 25. Zach isn't like Sanchez, Geno, or Sam; he's really really bad.

Edit: After looking guys up, there's also Johnson, Dorian Thompson-Robinson (at least there's a chance with him), Beathard, Tyrod Taylor (not sure how I forgot him), and Mullens.

Edit 2: And Bridgewater, can't believe I forgot about him.

#618 HomeoftheJets, Sep 27, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
    SackRecord99 likes this.
  19. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

There are probably at least a half a dozen retired QBs that at 40 would still be considered better at this point, and probably the top 10 college qbs.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Cue up some N.W.A. and I'm in... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.