Trying to Win the Wrong Way

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Sep 18, 2023.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, it’s been a while since I’ve been on. Many of you remember that I became pretty disconnected after we managed to lose out on Trevor Lawrence, whom I predicted would become one of the best quarterbacks in the league after urban Meyer left— which seemed to come true. Don’t worry I won’t bother saying I told you so ;).

I missed a lot of you on this board, so I felt the need to check in and see how everyone was doing. With that being said, I figured I would write a post talking about the state of the team and why I still think we are on the wrong path.

Originally, I was really excited when Aaron Rodgers decided to come to our team, but I still had many reservations, mainly because of his age, and possible break down physically. Even though he is a future, Hall of Famer, statistic show that it’s very rare for a quarterback of his age to be winning their team a Super Bowls and playoff games.

The way of the league, now favors the young stud quarterback, yes, for the contractual purposes, but that’s just one reason. The quarterbacks dominating the league now, are able to do it all, they are athletic, have an arm, durable etc.

My belief remains that this team is in purgatory, because we have never truly been horrible enough to get that number one overall pick and select the no brainer like Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence and what will be Caleb Williams or Drake Maye.

This season Looks like it’s about to come off the rails. I think the best case scenario is that we hover around 500 yet again, and remain in an awful purgatory. If that happens, most likely, we are going to try Rogers again next year and hopefully get some Oline help— I’m still not convinced he is going to be able to hold up a full season anymore but that’s probably the route they go if we get around 500.

If for some reason, this season goes really badly, and we have a top five pick— I think the team would be crazy not to select another rookie quarterback. Until we get that true franchise quarterback of the future, this team will go nowhere. Trying to win with average quarterback, play and counting that your defense is historically, good, is an antiquated way of winning, and is the path of greatest resistance to the trophy.

papapump, NYJetsO12, REVISion and 3 others like this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Yep. I was wondering where you have been. Thanks for stopping by. Glad you are OK.

3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

You predicted the kid who’d never lost a regular season game as a starter his entire life would be special?

I never would have thought the kid who won the National Championship as a true freshman would make it in the NFL.

You really put yourself out on a limb predicting the highest touted QB since Luck would be good.

Bravo good sir, bravo… ok going to try to read the rest of your post, wish me luck.

Ptflea2, dawinner127 and Jets69 like this.
  4. The80sJets

The80sJets Active Member

Ultimately it comes down to ownership. Khan wouldn’t let Minshew near the field down the stretch for the Jags. They started Luton and Glennon. Any competent owner would have mandate James Morgan start those final games.

FrontOfficeFanatic and REVISion like this.
  5. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Jets fans are always 100% correct, when it comes to hindsight, it's a special power, that only we have.

FrontOfficeFanatic and Acad23 like this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

As soon as Rodgers went down, I had the same thought.

I'd even go as far as to say barring some turnaround from Zach this year where he looks like an above average QB, the Jets should pick a QB with their 1st round pick this year regardless of where that might end up. This year's upcoming QB class looks to be loaded with talent and even though we know a few or even most of these guys will bust, this team truly is a QB away from being real competitors. Take another swing at QB and hope you get it right this time.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If they do, I pray to God it isn't another smurf QB from a weak conference. I've often stated Zach's field vision will be limited because he simply can't see directly over his protection. Since they won't roll him out right or left, that puts the kid at a huge disadvantage. Next Qb needs to be 6'-4" at a minimum, big arm, big conference that played in a pro oriented scheme. No more smurfs as the days of Drew Brees have been largely replaced by the XL Qb's.

8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Short of a great turnaround from Zach, QB should definitely be their top pick (assuming somebody worthy is there but this QB class is looking very deep right now). And then OL with their next

#8 JetFanInPA, Sep 19, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2023
  9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

They should take a QB regardless of where they pick in R1.

10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Remember all the morons defending the meaningless win because it was "good for the culture?" How'd that go?

Turns out getting the best QB prospect in a decade helps your culture quite a bit.

11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Luckily, most of the prospects aren't that small. Ironically enough, the smallest one of the top guys will most likely be the #1 overall pick (Caleb Williams: 6'1" 218lbs).

Most of the rest are more prototypical in terms of size for the QB position:
    Drake Maye, 6'4" 220
    JJ McCarthy 6'3" 202
    Bo Nix 6'3" 215
    Michael Penix Jr. 6'3 215
    Jayden Daniels 6'4" 200

There are a couple of guys, however, mocked in the first that you might be out on due to their size:
    Shedeur Sanders 6'2" 212
    Quinn Ewers 6'2" 195

This just goes to show that there's quite a few good QB prospects in this class. Lots of options.

FrontOfficeFanatic and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

we ABSOLUTELY need to draft a QB…unless Zach really shows he’s getting it, and to me that floor needs to be AT LEAST middle of the pack rating, 60%+ completion rate, and more TDs than picks. If he falls short of that, I don’t want to waste another fucking down watching him suck and hearing all the excuses and mind-bending rationales on why he’s “making progress”. This is it. I was hoping he’d be on ice this year, but fate put him back there again for year 3. To me, if he looks like he’s looked thus far, he shouldn’t get a year 4.

So yah, easy to type that now after a shitty loss, with 15 games yet to go, so we’ll see what he does, but like many others have said, I’ve seen nothing substantial enough to make me believe that he will develop into a good above average QB.

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ditto..I wanted TL in the worst way. All the Jets had to do was manage to lose one game ..they can’t even do that right lmao. So Douglas gets us Saleh >> mistake number one. Then >>grabs Wilson , who was scouted very poorly.

They try to backtrack on the blunders by getting us AR ..who is a great player but comes with rust and mothballs . he gets injured behind that vapor of an OL >>Another Jet shit stew for a change

just sooo 55 year’s depressing over and over again

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

My biggest nightmare is people wanting to tank the season in a couple of weeks. If this happens fire JD. He will have failed and please don't let him near another QB pick.

I can give you 60 million reasons why Rodgers is going to start next year.

15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Don't be raining on my psychic visions and shit. I had Aaron Rodgers GFTS by Game 4. I outdid myself. It was four plays.