On to Dallas...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Sep 13, 2023.

1. The80sJets

The80sJets Active Member

What gives me hope against Dallas is their offense did not look great agains NYG last week. McCarthy is running a Stone Age system and Prescott has very little mobility left post injuries. Dallas still has a good OL so it will depend on how much pressure the Jets front can get on Dak.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Because they had no choice but to have him on the roster and weren’t going to pay three quarterbacks millions? Very few teams carry three.

I don’t really get how anyone can buy into coach speak and think they have confidence in him. When we literally just watched them tell us on the field how much confidence they don’t have in him by essentially playing for overtime in the red zone.

If you’re going to go out there and tell Wilson to let it rip, you’re putting him ahead of the team.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Of course he's saying that, what else can he say at this time? But recall last year when Saleh stood up and said they weren't making any changes and they had utmost confidence in him. How many days later did they take him off the field for the rest of the season? It's coachspeak!

4. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Last year if I remember correctly, mlf was forcing the passing game too much, even when zack was failing. Hopefully Hackett will let the run game establish to loosen up the d, and maybe not fail zack like mlf did.

5. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

It is an old football adage but statements usually have to be true to become adages, end every possession with a kick.

Brook! likes this.
  6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The NY Jets are saying all the right things to support Zach.

It is now up to Zach to prove the doubters wrong. It is not crazy that he can he is only in year 3 and far from a finished product. A couple of solid games and the fan base will support him (most anyway).

7. burf

burf Well-Known Member

You kinda missed the point of my post, & responded to something else... my point was if they truly believe in Zach, then give him more leash.
    But since you mentioned it...

I honestly don't care about last season, or before.
    You may think that the previous OC et al, put Zach in a position to succeed, & he just sucks.
    Me, I thought from the scheme to whatever "development" plan they imagined they had, was as much responsible for his failure, as his own failures.
    So, I've paid more attention to how he's responded to all the adversity of his first two seasons, both on & off the field.
    I'm also realistic, not expecting him to be flawless, but instead looking for signs of maturity, & progress, while many of you seem to be focused on proving how bad Zach is, ignoring any progress.

Also, I tend to look at the team as a whole, much moreso than individual players.
    That's why AR's injury, while it was surreal, didn't bother me a much as most other fans.
    They drafted him to be their QB of the future, & now he is.
    This is probably his last chance, with the Jets, to show his worth to the team.
    And as a Jets fan, I'm pulling for him to succeed.

As for what Saleh et al say, I don't think it's coach-speak, as the team's actions suggest they're all-in for now.
    They chose to stick with Zach as the backup, & haven't immediately brought in anyone to challenge him, after AR's injury.
    This IS his team, for now.
    All that will change, if Zach reverts to the same ol' thing.
    I imagine that behind the scenes, they're making contingency plans, in the event he fails,
    But they're doing the smart thing for the future, under the circumstances, putting their full-support behind him... it kinda accelerates decisions that have to be made, after this season, & whether future plans will include Zach.

#27 burf, Sep 14, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Jets end a lot of possessions with a kick in the nuts, does that count?

9. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

they sure af are going to be conservative v the Dallas D. cos they are pretty ferocious. and NOT taking that into account is foolish.

can be a distinct line between being cautious and "playing scared"

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

You just keep reiterating your point without acknowledging that they couldn’t cut Wilson because they’d be paying him more to be off the team and then have to pay a backup anyway. That’s not confidence in the player, that’s a financial decision.

They didn’t want to pay a third quarterback AND have to carry them on the roster. No team pays three guys millions of dollars to play QB. Mike White as an example got $8 million a year. The Jets and no team quite frankly would ever think that made any financial sense.

How do you explain them not letting him try to win the game with a first down? They rather take take their chances with a field goal in the red zone and Josh Allen having 1:45 in two timeouts. He scored in less time in a AFC Championship game against the Chiefs a couple years ago.

We can analyze 40 years of coach speak. This is one of the few times where it’s different than their actions on the field?

SOJAZ and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Back to the subject of the title, if the Jets can stop the run, we got a chance. I hope the jets can eat up the clock and move the chains. I am going to root hard for the jets regardless who is at the QB and if he makes mistakes I am not going to think about the next new QB. The have to play 60
    Minutes of football and hope we get stay close and win.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I mostly agree with this, but I don't think they need to roll out an aerial circus game plan. But they do need to take the handcuffs off Zach and let him air out a few times at least. After all, that has always been one of his strengths, throwing the ball deep. Yes, it involves more risk, but they have a Top 5 (at least) defense, and they should be able to absorb some turnovers. And that's the pessimistic view. The more optimistic take is that he completes some of these and has that break out game we've all been waiting for.

Keeping him "bubble wrapped" can't work for long. He has to show he's a threat to burn defenses deep or else they're just going to clog up the short game, and the running game. If he's given the chance to throw long and just shits the bed, well then we'll know for sure that he really can't be a starter. Some here have already concluded that, but he's never really been given a chance to play to his strength on this team. LaFleur tried to remake his game entirely and it failed, and he never had the supporting cast around him like he does now. If they're ever going to find out whether he can be the guy they thought they drafted, now is the time to do it.

NCJetsfan and mrjet80 like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

To answer your question, it's very possible that they saw what their "D" was doing to Allen and felt good about their chances of containing him, but they also didn't want to take any unnecessary risks with a guy who has not proven himself to be able to make that kind of play. And before you say "That's my point". There are only a few QBs in the league who would be trusted to make that kind of play in that situation - specifically, foregoing the sure 3 points and a pretty good chance of the "D" holding a guy they've held down all game. If it were Rodgers, sure, no brainer, let him take the shot, but just because they played it safe there doesn't mean they don't have any trust in Zach, they just didn't think the odds favored him going for it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

That was after Breece went down, and the running game dropped off badly. And the passing scheme LaFleur was trying to use didn't mesh with Zach's strengths, and Zach really struggled with that.

NY Jets68 and typeOnegative13NY like this.
  15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Lafleur was more concerned about his "Scheme" working than playing to Zach's strengths. You use "tough" love on the kid turn the entire team against him and you get what happened last season.

Now look at San Fran and how they handled Brock Purdy. They simplified the scheme for him and played to his strengths and the kid thrived. Coaching really does matter.

You can say the same Jalen Hurts. The kid doesn't read defenses any better than Zach (Probably worse) they just play to his strengths.

16. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I believe that was Parcells' philosophy with Vinny as well. If you're going to make a mistake, make it deep down field.

17. ColoradoContrails

Exactly!

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Dude what? There’s 20+ QB’s in the league that a franchise would let try to go win the game.

It’s not like there were 50 seconds left and we were forcing them into their last timeout. We were giving Allen almost two minutes with a timeout left.

No team in their right mind feels comfortable in that situation.

And for what’s it’s worth it’s nice to say we forced 4 turnovers but Allen dropped a snap and made a bad fumble trying to recover and threw a 60 yard punt for a pick. They get credit and all and they harassed him all game long.

SOJAZ and Jets79 like this.
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Oh Fu** our kicker is hurt

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Good.* Now the coaching staff won't be able to cover up for Zach. Either he's legit, or he's not and we can go out and get someone better.

*For those unaware, this isn't some terrible injury, it's a groin injury that might keep him out this week.

SOJAZ likes this.