On to Dallas...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Sep 13, 2023.

1. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I just watched today's Saleh presser.
    Interestingly, as I read through the comments on YT, I hit on a comment, with numerous replies.
    Every comment agreed, surprising to me.

Most people are talking about how the Jets need to ground & pound, & limit Zach.
    Me, I tend to go in the opposite direction, which was the point of the YT commenter.

Saleh keeps saying he's confident in Zach, & seen much growth.
    If that's true, then let Zach be the "new" improved Zach, give him more leash (ie: some downfield passing).
    This is his time to step up bigtime, so give him the chance.
    If he fails, he fails, & everyone knows quickly, that he'll be gone.
    But, if on the other hand, he shows real progress, that would be the absolute best outcome for the team.

Ya can't win games, or championships, playing scared.
    Zach is the only option for the next few weeks, the team seems ready for the challenge, it's time to throw him in the deep water, not recklessly, but deep enough that he'll sink or swim.

If I see the O do the cautious thing in Dallas, I'll know Saleh's all-in with Zach comments are BS.

Onto Dallas... last week my keys were seeing how the team would deal with pressure, & how Breece would look. Happy on both counts.
    Against Dallas, I wanna see how the team deals with 1-0, & how hungry they are for 2-0.
    I wanna see them build a collective championship mentality.
    In some sense, the AR injury may be a blessing in disguise, if the players pull together, dust themselves off, & kick ass!
    And that includes the CS. Let 'em play...

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They should definitely not try to give him more leash. They can throw the ball down field in a conservative passing attack that revolves around a lot of under center play action after establishing the run. That would be the best way to utilize his arm.

The offensive line also hasn’t proved that they can pass protect effectively but we had a right side of the line that was crushing grown men in the run game and tightends that were moving bodies.

Not sure why you would want to go away from any of that and try to “unleash” a QB that hasn’t proven he is very good or can do any of that.

3. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Sanchez took shots down the field all the time in a ground and pound offense. Zach actually tends to be better with deep passes than short, so I don't see the problem with this approach (if line can protect long eneough for the receivers to get open. Roll-outs may be the key.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Sanchez 2.0

Not sure if I should celebrate or cry... :confused:

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

For once I agree with @burf over you on Zach. A cautious gameplan gives us the best odds of beating Dallas, but we'll need more than that if we're going to do right by the guys and give them the best shot to go deep into the playoffs. So might as well figure out what we have in Zach as soon as possible, and if he sucks, then make a move for a replacement quarterback. Better that than dragging this on for weeks with no definitive answer as to whether Zach has improved or not.

BrooklynJetsFan and burf like this.
  6. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

This.
    I don't care what QB they might bring in to back up Wilson, if the line continues to suck ass it's not going to matter.

7. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Whoever the Jets bring in to back up Zach it will take them a few weeks to learn the offense and get comfortable taking over. Saleh did the right thing by saying they will stick with Wilson because this vote of confidence is critical for our signal caller to try to believe in himself and be able to take his game to the next level.

If Zach falters or regresses they'll promote the Quarterback behind door number 3, shake the dice and make a run for the post season.

#7 BleedJetsGreen1981, Sep 13, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree completely. If they want to modify anything should be some well planned roll outs by Wilson to leverage his mobility.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Why?
    That was last season, & we saw how that turned out.
    If they have confidence in his growth, then let him be the QB.
    The thing is, if they're playing for tight games, they can go either way.
    And if they're on the short end, then it becomes desperation time, & that's when mistakes are made.

The Jets have that great D, & getting out to a lead, would let them fly, while taking pressure off Zach.
    Then ground & pound, once you have the lead.

Besides, the defenses will be playing the run, & daring Zach to pass.
    Hackett must gameplan for that likelihood.

I understand why everyone's scared of Zach, & want him kept under the leash.
    But to me, playing scared never ends well.
    If you have confidence in him, show him that confidence by letting him play to his strengths.
    He's the only option for a few weeks, so that's his window to take the QB job.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

We don’t really need to find out what we have. We know what we have. The best position for Wilson to be in is a heavy run offense where he can play action and bootleg and toss the rock down field without many reads.

Putting him in shotgun and running different route combinations on both sides of the field against 7-man zones is going to be a nightmare.

The rest of this season isn’t about figuring out what Wilson is. It’s about winning football games and getting the young nucleus used to doing that. We have one more year next year of Sauce, Breece, GW and JJ on their rookie deals before they can bitch about it and can figure out a QB upgrade in the off-season. There’s always plenty of movement at the position to upgrade or return Rodgers.

Let’s shell up. Give the kid a color coded wrist band, stop giving him and the receivers choice routes and let him throw 20-25 times a game and run for some first downs.

Acad23 likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Again, this year isn’t about trying to grow Zach into a franchise QB. It’s about the rest of the team. We have multiple defensive All-Pro’s and two budding super stars at the skill positions. Wilson is an after thought long term.

They don’t have confidence in him. They ran it on three straight plays to kick a field goal and left Josh Allen a minute forty five on the clock to match that. They wouldn’t let him throw on 3rd down to pickup 8 yards to win the game. I dunno what you want Saleh to say. He has to say he has confidence in him but they clearly don’t.

SOJAZ, papapump, Ralebird and 3 others like this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

I'd rather see Zach throw four picks against the Cowboys and get replaced next week by a trade or free agent signing than see the offense shelling up the entire season. Of course, best case would be Zach playing like an actual starter, but playing scared doesn't give us the best chance to contend this year. The best chance to contend is either Zach shaping up or us bringing in someone else better than him.

Also, there's nothing wrong with play action and bootlegging, but when the defense inevitably stacks the box, then Zach has to throw the ball downfield. None of this hoping the defense can compensate for an offense that's punting all the time.

NCJetsfan, burf and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

How does it not? What QB is riding in on a white stallion and bringing us to the playoffs? If you let Zach open it up and wing it around he’s going to suck. We know that. And then in two weeks we trade for a QB that’s ready after the bye when we’re 2-4 with a defense that’s ready to quit and skill position players they could give a shit?

If we’re going to trade for a QB we need to do it now. Not in two or three weeks after we find out what we already know.

14. HomeoftheJets

Barring a trade for Kyler Murray, there's nobody we can get who would match what Rodgers would have done for us. But there are guys (Matt Ryan, Carson Wentz, etc.) who can do better than the offense you're proposing we run with Zach. I'd take one bad loss to the Cowboys, which is a game we'll probably lose anyway if we shell up on offense, in exchange for getting Douglas off his ass to actually make a trade or signing. And hey, maybe Zach is capable of not being treated like the NFL equivalent of a four-year old, but we won't find that out unless we treat him like an adult.

15. burf

burf Well-Known Member

The team needs the O to score points, &/or sustain drives, not play scared.

Of course, in that game, they went ultra conservative.
    Everyone was in shock, Zach hadn't any reps with that O, & the plan was for AR to be QB.
    Now, they're scheming for Zach.
    If they do the same this week, then I'll agree that they have no confidence in him.

Then, why didn't they have another QB on-hand (other than Boyle), to start the season.
    The fact that they didn't, kinda suggests that they do, in-fact, believe he's made progress.
    So, for once, let him start a game, & scheme to Zach's strengths, rather than in fear of his past weaknesses.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It is hard to throw downfield of your protection does not hold up

17. burf

burf Well-Known Member

That was last week ;)

18. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

The Jets have possibly the best 1 2 RB punch in football.

Cook wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible either. Also the completely broken play before the 2 min warning in the 4th, that's on par with the Josh Allen snap that eventually fumbled. That was as close to disaster as you can get, but him and Wilson at least got the handoff finished

19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

20. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

They can’t play scared the entire season. Maybe you go run heavy all year, but you have to keep them honest at some point.

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.