Gutsy performance by Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 11, 2023.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

No it's not because the interception was him throwing the ball right to a defender, and the touchdown was the catch of the season. If the interception was off the receiver's hands or something like that, then you'd have a point.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You and others are crucifying him for throwing that INT. It was a bad decision. I'd love to know why he decided to throw it, but it was one pick. OTOH, the guy on the Bills - a predicted future HOF'er - threw 3 INTs, and at least one of them he should've clearly seen Whitehead roaming in the area he was throwing to, and yet no one here says a thing.

ALL QBs make some bad throws and have interceptions and near interceptions, even Rodgers. You guys act like Wilson has to be perfect in order to cut him any slack. And before you retort with "No, he doesn't have to be perfect, just competent", what do you call Monday's game? While not inspiring based on statistics it was certainly competent, and inspiring from the standpoint that he rallied his shellshocked teammates to gut out a win. Did he do that all by himself? Of course not! But he sure did have a role!

You guys will only be happy when Wilson is no longer on the Jets. And you base this on your belief in your own expertise that he's a bad QB. Odd how that doesn't line up with actual professionals who work with him every day.

3. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Personally, I will be happy when the Jets have a consistent, reliable, professional quarterback. I don't care what his name is.

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

While I agree with you on the premise ZW needs to show us all a little more this year. He played OK Monday - gutsy. Showed improvement. But this passing game has to open up to give the running game some breathing room. And a lot of that falls on the game plan/coaches. Either they don’t have the confidence in Zach or they’re not game planning correctly. He is in his third year now. I liked his demeanor a lot better and if I could see the difference I’m sure the coaches can. They need to call some deep plays against Dallas. Even if they miss they’ll (Dallas) back off a little. Hardman only played one snap the other night - isn’t he the fastest WR? Is he healthy? Of course GW is rarin to go…

As I’ve stated in other posts this is the week to experiment. Particularly with a must win in week 3 against a very average NE team. They need to try some new calls and experiment with variations to see how to plan for NE….

burf, NJJets and KY Jets Fan like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

Even if it turns out his name is Zach Wilson?

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Agreed. I was really down on him during the game, but most likely because I was just feeling down after the AR injury. After the game, in retrospect, I realized he had played a decent game under immense pressure and against a really tough defense.

burf likes this.
  7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Well, Peyton came across as an arrogant jerk.

8. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

This game was still a positive for Wilson at the end of the day.

He was boo'ed off the field last year and the fanbase never wanted to see him play ever again. Instead he made a few big 3rd down conversions, converted a 4th down, and of course hit the TD when we absolutely needed it. He wasn't amazing but considering the circumstances it was pretty amazing that he was able to do enough to positively effect the game and help the team get a win after being down double digits.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Nicely said

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Peyton was more pissed that Rodgers went down and took it out on Zak

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I frankly waaay over Payton. Zach didn’t look half as bad as Payton last SB performance. Now that was disgusting.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

He completed 67% of his passes week 1?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

burf, NY Jets68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

That's unprofessional and he should probably stick to making silly commercials.

14. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Well if the context is replacing a QB1 at short notice due to illness/injury;

Herbert tabbed to start at last minute due to Tyrod Taylor getting his lung punctured.
    22-33 311yds 1TD 1INT

Love stepped in when Rodgers went down with Covid
    19-34 190yds 1TD 1INT

Zappe took over from Hoyer
    10-15 99yds 1TD 0INT

Purdy begins his run from Mr.Irrelevant with the 49ers out of QB's
    25-37 210yds 2TD 1INT

Mayfield replaces Taylor and leads the trailing 14-0 Browns past our Jets for Browns first win in years
    17-23 201yds 0TD 0INT

These guys were all seeing their very first proper action in the league unlike our rugged multi-year starter who recorded;

14-21 140yds 1TD 1INT

So in context - Zach sucked but a tiny amount less then we probably expected him to suck

15. HackettSuxTNG

I wouldn't be a very good Jets fan if I didn't

Ralebird likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

Obviously nothing will change your mind, but none of those situations really compare to what Zach was asked to do, but whatever. But even more remarkable given how some here have repeatedly said that Zach just plain sucks and shouldn't even be on the roster.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I was hoping so hard to avoid reading another year of threads on the pros and cons of Zach statistical analysis based on past history, plus dissecting every single play if it was lucky or good. More than ever the only freaking stat that matters from here on out is squeezing wins no matter how ugly or how we get it done.
    That is the only criteria until we can find a better option. In don’t care about how is done, who does it, if it was a bad pass versus a good catch, total passing yards, none of it means crap except to satisfy one personal evaluation. After all, you can select factors to make your case, if his completion percentage was good, well that doesn’t count because blah blah blah, if it’s bad is gospel. If the yards are low that’s bad, but if the yards are high that was because yac did it. Who freaking cares. We know exactly where Zach is right now.
    Until we can find a replacement, and even the, I’ll take every bit of luck I can, we more than deserve it, and he is not the first or the last QB to have a great WR make him look good. I welcome that every minute of the day.
    Zach was thrown to the wolfs once again, it was never the plan, not for at least two years. But that is all that we have now. Every win is a an awesome day for this team and Zach, no matter how is achieved. Screw the rest.

#277 LAJet, Sep 13, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  18. HackettSuxTNG

There is evidence to support this opinion.

19. ColoradoContrails

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damnable lies, and statistics". - Mark Twain.

IOW you can find stats or shape to support whatever narrative you want.

There was no "evidence" that Steve Young could be anything more than a backup in the NFL. There was no "evidence" that Tom Brady could become arguably the GOAT. Or that Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, or Nick Foles could take their team to a SB and win. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't. And while you are obviously certain that it can't with Zach, Douglas & Co disagree. Who should we believe? Further, as a fan, why do you choose to be so pessimistic? What does that gain you? If anyone here should be permanently pessimistic it should be me after 60+ years of futility, but if I didn't retain hope, I'd just quit caring and watching. But whatever. To each their own.

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Wilson throwing a pick can't be compared to Allen throwing picks. When you put together multiple seasons as a top 5 QB in the league, you deservedly get more benefit of the doubt. When a historically elite QB does bad things, it's likely just bad variance because it doesn't match what he's done for most of his career. When a historically terrible QB does bad things, it's further evidence he's bad because it matches what he's done the bulk of his career.

Jets79 and HomeoftheJets like this.