DAZN taking over GamePass

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ukjetsfan, Aug 15, 2023.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

This should probably go in the NFL section but I wonder if it might be left here for a little while so that more people get a chance to read it?

For years I have subscribed to NFL GamePass, often watching the Jets game the day after the live broadcast, when a two-hour version of the game, minus all commercial breaks, makes it easy to enjoy the full game experience without all the interruptions. This year DAZN has taken over GamePass and they have no plans to include this two-hour edited version, so even when watching a day or two later (or much later, even), you will have to sit through a four-hour broadcast and try to fast-forward through all the ad breaks without missing any of the actual gameplay.

I contacted DAZN to ask about this and got the usual "We are constantly looking at ways to improve Game Pass by listening to our customers so thank you for your feedback and stay tuned for updates" response. It's disappointing that this service is going to be a bit worse this year.

egelband and Vida like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I just signed up for NFL +. Same rebroadcast after the game minus the commercials. Far cheaper than YouTube's Sunday Ticket which IMO, is a overpriced product that they're gonna lose money on due to a lack of subscribers.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm pissed that NFL Ticket moved to YouTube TV.

I looked at a a preview of YouTube TV and compared it to DirecTV.
    It looked washed out and less detailed... it was also like 15 secs. behind DirecTV... which sucks for spot betting.

I like to record multiple games and watch them later... so there's really no option other than You Tube.

Maybe the 4K option on YouTube TV will totally alleviate the crummy picture.
    I have a new 4K 75" set coming this week... it replaces my 20 year old Samsung.

Pepsiguy5, Jets79 and Cman68 like this.
  4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

So is there no more NFL ticket on DirecTV at all?

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Just RedZone I believe...

hornblower likes this.
  6. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Can't speak to what they're doing in the UK but I used DAZN when I was in Japan in the fall of 2020 and it was a fantastic product, Literally had everything I needed in one place. Tons of Premier League, Japanese Baseball, The World Series, German soccer and the NFL albeit in a limited scope.

Unfortunately they block my VPN in the States so I can't use it here..

egelband likes this.
  7. stinkyB

well that sucks...

8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I will be in Sweden during Thanksgiving break. What are my options to watch the Jets legally?

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I feel proud of myself because I just figured out that your signature keeps disappearing because of the ignore function.

10. stinkyB

11. ukjetsfan

They may be one of the teams that gets a lot of live games on Sky, so they may be live in a sports bar or in a hotel if they have the Sky channels. Other than that, I think you can get a seven-day trial of GamePass, so you could sign up once you were in Sweden, watch the game and then quickly cancel.

Brook! likes this.
  12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Thanks my friend. Wasn't sure if weekly Game Pass was stilla thing. I will go that route.

13. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

I'd ignored this until my renewal was due on 1st August. So far it has been an unmitigated, fucking disaster. I am compiling a list of deficiencies and will post them later.

>>Edit - Unfortunalty any update I have about the miserableness of DAZN as a host for NFL Game Pass is going to have to wait.

The fam and I are off for two weeks in the Mediterranean (Malta, which is very hot and lovely) so will check in again with you, just before the season starts.

Thanks for allowing me on your forum. I really appreciate it as an International supporter of The Jets. It is great to have your collective insight and feel a part of it. (Even though we do fly for a game over most seasons).

All the very best to you all. J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets. xxx

#13 UK_Chilts, Aug 17, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
  14. ukjetsfan

So far DAZN is turning out to be a really crappy service.

GamePass had its issues, the most serious of which was that if you watch on an Android TV there was no way to switch the scores off, so I had to navigate through the screens with my eyes half closed to find the Jets game and start playing it without seeing the final score. I got in touch with them about that but of course nothing was done because the NFL isn't bothered about anything but making money.

So DAZN has dealt with that, which is actually a really good thing.

BUT - they set a limit on the number of devices you can watch on. The limit is five, which is fine. But I have only registered one device, my TV - yet when I try to watch on my Mac it says I have exceeded the number of devices I can watch on. There is a link to 'Manage Devices' but it doesn't work.

Also, they don't do any editing AT ALL of the game broadcasts. This means you have somewhere between four minutes and 10 minutes of the holding screen before the game even starts. You don't know how much there is so you have to jump forward using the clunky fast-forward option and hope you don't miss anything. It's the same with the billion or so commercial breaks there are as well. You have to manually fast-forward through them, and hope you don't overshoot and miss a play or two. So watching games the next day just got a whole lot messier.

egelband and Vida like this.
  15. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

OK then, back from holiday and I thought I would update with my experience (and this is genuinely just me) of the DAZN hosted version of game pass.

They took an incorrect renewal payment from me and advised me I was wrong to query it. Then apologised for being wrong themselves and offered me a free month of their DAZN service which I do not want.

It looks like DAZN were copied with everyone’s game pass profiles, activated them on their system and charged for an entire season on 1st August without consent and irrespective of previous payment terms. This has led to people who ended a free trial, or paid in 4 equal installments (me), being charged for a whole season. Those who may have trialed in one country (say on holiday) and registered in another (when they got home) being charged twice. Lots of people assumed it was a scam. I understand a class action lawsuit is being formed as it is a clear GDPR breach.

Offered one third better terms to new customers over those renewing - £99 to £150.

Diminished picture quality.

Completed games are unedited (i.e. breaks in play are not removed - which means a full game on their product is now over 4 hours elapsed time).

Gaps which did feature US adverts or any pre-game build up are now replaced by a holding screen with funereal music. So there is no native US content other than the game coverage.

Inability to fast forward to restarts accurately so it’s either guesswork or sit through it.

Restricted to five registered devices only 2 of which may be used at once and they must be on the same IP address. So, if I am late back and watching the Jets game on my mobile / cellphone (1pm Sunday EST – 6pm GMT) either I can’t watch it live or my family can’t in my own house. Also, cannot watch more than two games at once.

Inability to manage registered devices by editing them. The feature does not work, as noted by @ukjetsfan . They have had to clear a cache and I've yet to see if it will work.

Have to login every time I use a TV, irrespective of any other use.

Does not allow a registered device access if in another country. So, if I go on holiday within the EU with my laptop, which I did last week, I cannot access the service that I pay for - even though they say otherwise. Therefore, I missed Aaron Rodgers' first snaps as a Jet in live action. Thanks very much.

If family members are watching the same game in different rooms in the house, it always positions you at the latest point. Their stance is that the account is for one individual. They seem to not realise that other people in the same house might use a streaming service.

Have to navigate DAZN content to which I do not subscribe, to get to Game Pass.

Their customer service is via instant messaging only – and when they get bored of you, they shut the chat down.

This is only pre-season. Unless there is a marked improvement, there is no chance I will renew. Bear in mind I am an International fan that travels to the US to watch games in person – so I am their target audience and I think the service is shockingly bad.

Let’s see how it develops.

#15 UK_Chilts, Aug 31, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2023
  16. Vida

Vida Active Member

As an Australian Jets fan I'm dealing with the same thing. Gamepass was terribly flawed, most notably not being able to turn off the scores in the android tv app as mentioned above (like seriously wtf??) but DAZN has taken this garbage to a whole new level. Gamepass was portable so even though I signed up in Australia I could still use it when travelling through Asia but now it's locked to the country you subbed in. Their solution is to buy a whole new subscription in each new country you travel in!

The quality is also terrible, I tried watching the preseason game vs the Bucs on replay to test it out. I watched the first quarter and the stream froze at least half a dozen times with the picture resuming at what looked like 360p or 480p and remained at that for minutes at a time. The user interface was terrible making it difficult to skip ad breaks and the start of the stream had about 5 minutes of a holding screen which again was difficult to forward through without jumping past the start of the game.

It's just a terrible product and at around $280AU I doubt I'll be subscribing this year which really sucks because I loved watching Redzone on a Monday morning here and catching up on condensed 40 minute games (I've seen some people say dazn doesn't have the condensed games while others say it does but it's not easy to navigate/find).

The NFL don't care though, they've signed a 10 year deal and pocketed the cash so us fans are left to suffer

Brook! likes this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't know if there's a thread for this so I'll just ask here, what do you think of that Aussie Lou Hedley punting in New Orleans? That guy's life story reminds me of the kicker from The Replacements. I'm hoping he sticks.

Vida likes this.
  18. ukjetsfan

A couple of update on this. My two boys, who have used DAZN in the past for boxing events, say the company has a reputation for actually listening to its customer base and they said wait and see if they address any of the concerns.

Today I watched the most recent broadcast and it now includes the American commercials rather than the awful holding page with the dreary music. This is just one step, but it is a major improvement as it recreates the atmosphere of the live broadcast much better.

I also thought the image quality looked pristine. I have a 65in. 4K TV and it really looked good - if not actually 4K then at least 1080P and definitely not 720.

On the strength of this I am willing to give them a little more time and see if they phase in the other improvements - commercial-free full-game replays being the most important, but the All-22 angle also being highly desirable.

I jumped on them pretty hard for being so crap right out of the box so I thought it was only fair to highlight this improvement. Maybe things will get even better after the preseason.

UK_Chilts, Brook! and Vida like this.
  19. Vida

Vida Active Member

I actually just heard about this guy today, sounds like he's living the dream! Good luck to him.

ukjetsfan and abyzmul like this.
  20. ukjetsfan

Just received this update from DAZN - looks like they have got their act together in time for the regular season.

Since the migration of NFL Game Pass to the DAZN platform earlier this summer, we have been listening to fan feedback and can confirm the following product features for the 2023-2024 NFL Season:

The return of US commercials, plus half-time shows & analysis.

Coaches Film (All-22)
    View each games’ action from a coaching perspective. Coaches Film gives you an aerial view of the field so you can see all 22 players on the field and study tactical play.

Game in 40
    The perfect medium between highlights and full game replays. Get all the game action in just 40 minutes.

Sunday in 60
    All the best highlights and biggest moments of Sunday’s action from around the NFL, condensed into a snappy 60-minute recap available each Monday.

WATCH IN HIGH DEFINITION - 1080p
    Watch every NFL game on DAZN in high definition.

This covers all my complaints except for the edited full-game replays (and 4K broadcasts would be better), but I can live with this and hopefully there will be more improvements to come. After a disastrous start that had me considering cancelling my subscription, this is pretty good news I think, and it makes a change for a company to actually listen and do something rather than just spout out the usual 'we are committed to bringing you the best possible product and thank you for your suggestion' bullshit.

Vida, UK_Chilts and Brook! like this.