Tuesday August 29 Cutdown Day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CaptainCap, Aug 27, 2023.

1. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Hell of a season!

ukjetsfan likes this.
  2. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

You can see where this concept would be foreign to me…

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not sure about a week 1 loss. I think it is going to be a blood bath and in a good way.

NY Jets68 and Acad23 like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If he's looking for a LB, what about Christian Kirksey? He was let go by the Texans. He's 30, but he had 124 tackles last season, 3 sacks, 5 passes defensed, 2 interceptions, and I can't remember how many TFLs. I think that he's had a pretty good career and is good in coverage. He had some injury issues from 2018-2021, but he was healthy last season starting all 17 games. He would be better depth than Surratt or Barnes, but he probably wants to start, and would require a big contract. He also played for GB in 2020, an MVP year for Rodgers.

#184 NCJetsfan, Aug 30, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
    LAJet and RochesterJet like this.
  5. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Normally I'd agree with you, but this guy is best friends with Rodgers, was thinking about retiring, is 33 years old and not likely to draw massive interest from other teams. In this case I think the odds are very close to zero that if Cobb and the Jets work out a handshake deal where they cut him for one day and then resign him that there will be any sort of bump in the road.

NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Logan Bruss was cut by the Rams, I hope Douglas finds a way to bring him here whether its in the active roster or practice squad.

He was LA Rams' 3rd round pick last year, kind of a tweener at Guard or Tackle. Wisconsin Offensive lineman? come on now. He got kind of a raw deal missing his rookie year to injury

7. BrowningNagle

Another guy to absolutely put a waiver claim on is Desmond King, CB, cut by Houston.

Tough, heady corner with over 50 starts in this league. Depth at corner is light. I would grab him in a second to the 53 man roster and drop Bryce Hall or Justin Hardee

Acad23 likes this.
  8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--I'm not real comfy with the CB depth right now--Hall's been a hugh question mark for 1+ years now.

Based on the initial 53, it looks like ST's are a pretty high priority so don't think Hardee is going anywhere.

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Today’s Saleh presser re: Thomas Morestead: “a couple of things to work out”

read. shuffling a player or two around then reinstalling Morestead. Jets were near the bottom in punt coverage last year (gave up 2 of the league’s 3 PR TDs in 2022); doubt they’ll tear it down altogether…more like focus on hang-time and direction for better coverage

#189 joe, Aug 30, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
  10. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Jalen Reagor was cut....not a bad option

11. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I think there was an issue with Trey Dean, probably bad in coverage. It's hard to believe they'd keep a 7th wide receiver (and 3rd UDFA receiver) over dean if they thought he could be a significant contributor to the team in future years (and they only have 1 safety on a multiyear contract, so 3 are gone after this year unless extended). He was solid in run support and a good tackler, so it must have been something we, as fans, weren't seeing. Likely bad in coverage or out of position.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Dean is a prospect who isn't quite there yet. He's got a lot of positive qualities and fans/writers around the country are talking about him.

I don't know if anyone will actually pick him up but if not, I think it will be competitive getting him onto our PS--he's going to get offers.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

Someone is gonna steal Trey Dean. He was the Shrine Bowl MVP and every GM watches that closely.

Douglas shoulda bounced someone else so we didn't lose him

14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

We're in agreement--the kids got that something--he reminds me of Keanu Neal--good tackler--probably doesnt hit as hard but thats fine for today's game.

It had to be that Ashtyn's ST play was deciding factor cause Dean was usually in better position to tackle IMO

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

they watch it so closely that he went undrafted

bicketybam likes this.
  16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

You don't think Dean will amount to anything I take it? Not trying to cause a fuss--just asking.

17. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

The Jets kept a UDFA WR7 on a team with deep RB and TE rooms. That means that the jets will rarely use 4 WRs (teams with 2 good TEs use 4 WRs on less than 4% of their plays last year and some never used 4 WRs) and pretty much never use 5 WRs. For a WR7 to even see the field, the Jets will likely need at least 3 of their WRs to be down for a game (and even that's not a sure thing because then he'd be WR4). If they valued Dean they would have kept him over WR7, but they didn't, so what does that tell you about how they look at dean?

I watched the same pre-season games as you did and he looked damn good to me also. That means there must be something the Jets are seeing that we're not. I saw him make some very impressive run stops, but that's only 1/2 the job for a safety. The other half is coverage and being in the right position in coverage to make plays. For the Jets not to have kept him over WR7, he must have been really bad in coverage since he was so obviously good in run support. That doesn't mean that Dean's not fixable, it just means that the Jets aren't sure they could fix him if they kept him on the roster.

IDFjet likes this.
  18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He was a starter on a shitty roster. Not really something to praise. Good for him for having his time In the spotlight, but he was never really good. It was a good move to let him walk, I'm glad they did.

He did better than anyone would have thought, but he was never a true starter quality WR. He was slightly above average at best. At best.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I found an article from several months ago written by a Gator analyst/fan that confirms your interpretations:

"Odds are, during the preseason, Dean will make a hit that will circulate around social media, and Jets fans will be thinking to themselves they got a steal by getting him as a UDFA. And while at Florida, Dean was known for his physicality and rarely got sent backward when he came downhill to meet a running back or receiver.

His Combine performance in the bench press backs this up, benching 25 reps of 225 pounds despite only weighing 207 pounds himself.

The problem with Dean is his coverage recognition and rotating too slowly on the back end. The Gators employed a static zone scheme in 2022 that needed its safties to be elite and rotate on time. That frequently didn’t happen, and part of the reason why can be supported by Dean’s 40-yard dash time at the Combine and Pro Day that was in the 4.7 second range.

His presnap recognition also wasn’t good enough for someone who played five full college football seasons. Notably, against Tennessee, Dean had multiple busted coverages that thwarted Florida’s ability to pull off the upset."

Lon Chaney and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Thats still pretty good for an UDFA WR though. especially in that draft class where most of the WRs sucked. he still wound up being one of the top 2-3 WRs of that class IIRC.
    That wasn't the main point though, the point was going from a starter with 1100 yards to out of the league in 2 years despite still being under 30 is just odd