Becton not looking good

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jul 25, 2023.

1. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

???

2. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately as a 50 year lifelong jet fan I tend to look at the glass half empty Rather than half full. Hopefully I'm wrong about Becton but I'm worried the offensive line won't hold up. Keep in mind Rogers is not 25-year-old anymore and without a strong offensive line even great quarterbacks look middling.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand. I've been a fan for most of my life (since 1965). I used to be much more negative and pessimistic about the Jets, but it wasn't my nature and was making me miserable, so I made the choice when JD was hired to be more hopeful and optimistic. I'm a lot happier and at peace with what happens with the Jets now, I don't get as upset any more, and I'm a lot happier and healthier mentally. If he continues to struggle, then it will definitely be a concern, but I refuse to get concerned until there's something to definitely get concerned about. Hopefully, we won't have to cross that bridge.

4. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Becton took an injury that avg’s 8 months recovery and has turned it into a 3 year recovery. He hasn’t played football in 2 years. He finally lost weight. Fantastic. The last time he tried to play football he was awful. He tried again now and he’s still awful, and apparently still dealing with injury. It’s time to start judging him by his performance, or lack there of. I don’t care that he was drafted highly. I don’t care if he’s a freak of nature physically. I care if he can play football. So far, he can’t.

5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…I’m kind of in this boat as well…it’s been a REALLY LONG time…why are we still hearing that he’s on a pitch count…don’t know when his surgery was so maybe it’s not been long enough recovery time? It feels like it’s been forever

So to me, this is a guy who was getting embarrassed by speed rushers last time he was in camp, and we’re still hearing that story this camp. Except we also get the excuses about being rusty because he hasn’t played in so long, and on top of that he’s on a pitch count with that surgically repaired knee…I get being cautious and it’s all good there, but seriously the vibes are not good here.

The only positive is that he lost like 50 pounds…great…had he actually given a shit, he should never had gotten up there to begin with.

I seriously hope he can bring it this year and really prove the doubters wrong, but so far, the vibes are not good at all…still hesitant on the knee, still getting beat regularly when he is in, etc.

We’ll see

We NEED him, but I’m not sure it’ll work out for him

6. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Every player is unique, but it just seems that there are very few cases where a young player has the injury and conditioning issues that Becton has dealt with, then the lightbulb goes off over their heads, and they turn things completely around. Here's hoping that he's the exception, but there isn't much precedent.

7. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I'm in your demographic. I never seem to be able to participate in all of the pre-season joy, and am always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

For you to be able to choose positivity and optimism after all we've seen with this team takes an awful lot of inner strength. I really, really have a lot of respect for that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

First, thanks. It hasn't always been easy, especially since I read and post here regularly. Seeing/hearing all of the other negativity can really drag one down. Occasionally I've succumbed to it, but mostly, reacted poorly to others' negativity. I'm really trying to move past that now.

I TOTALLY understand where you are. As Jets fans, we've been conditioned to wait for the other shoe to drop, because for most of our lives, it always has. Every time there's been a little bit of hope, a ray of sunshine, it all falls apart or turns to shit. To be honest, I'm not quite sure how I have done it. I was ready to give up on the Jets following Rex Ryan's tenure. I think it may have been that my natural optimism and positivity that wouldn't allow me to be negative any longer. After all, if something you supposedly do for fun and entertainment, continually makes you miserable, why do it? That's masochism. So for me, it was change my attitude and approach or walk away.

Then, I was so impressed by what I read about Joe Douglas, and I couldn't believe that we were actually hiring a topnotch GM candidate, and that Adam Gase is the one that helped to make it happen, it just struck me as karma, as a change in the Jets' fortunes. So many horrible things (awful hires and decisions) have happened over the years because of the stupidity of Leon Hess and the Johnsons, yet here was one of their worst decisions, worst hires in the team's history (hiring Adam Gase), yet he pushed for hiring a really competent, topnotch GM prospect in Joe Douglas, and the irony of that really hit home. I had this gut feeling that everything was going to change and finally be good, and for the most part it has been. Things are defintely getting better.

For your sake, I hope that you can get to a point where you can let go of the past, relax and enjoy the ride.

#88 NCJetsfan, Jul 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
    ColoradoContrails and RPOZ51 like this.
  9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Becton will start Thursday and play.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Wow! Start at LT?

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Saleh just said play. Didn't specify

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The BIG elephant in the room. Should've done a better job addressing this in the draft and FA. Could really come back to hurt the team's chances this year. Quantity does not equal quantity.

This was a miss by JD and crew. Let's hope they can mask the OL situation but it's a big question mark going into the season.

13. NCJetsfan

It's easy for fans to sit back and say that they should have done a better job. I'm sure that JD and Saleh wanted to make sure that the OL would be solid, but with the Aaron Rodgers situation, they couldn't. Until they knew they had him and what it was going to count on the cap, they couldn't spend the money in FA. With having to trade picks with the Packers to get Rodgers, they couldn't get the OT they may have wanted. I say "may have wanted" because the rumor is that if he was there, they were going to take WR Jahmyr Gibbs. If true, then I think they thought that with Brown, Becton, Mitchell, Turner and adding an OT in the middle rounds (they liked Carter Warren) they'd be fine, especially since Rodgers gets the ball out so quickly.

IMO it's way too early to say that this was a big miss. Yes, it's an area of concern, but that doens't mean that it's not going to work out and be just fine.

For discussion's sake, however, what would you have done? Whom would you have signed or drafted at OT?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

NOTE: These posts were written less than 48 hours apart. How about some consistency?

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Maybe if you stand back and look at the full pattern, that is consistency.

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The consistency is the inconsistency...

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The ROTFLMAO Code.

18. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong. They're still my team, and they will always be my team. I will always root for them, and each of the players who wear the Jets uniform.

Maybe I'm showing signs of age, but I am past the point where I can invest myself in every win and loss. I keep my expectations in check.

jixxjr and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Easy said than done. The only starting OT worth signing in free agency was Orlando Brown, who chose to go to Cincinnati for $64M. And we could not commit to that money any how before signing AR. As for the draft, with our first pick there was no one left that would have been a starter now. Not even close.

20. NCJetsfan

I do the same. I'm extra excited this TC because of Rodgers, but during the season, I try not to get high following a win, or low following a loss, and try to stick to the one game at a time. It did get to me at the end of last season, however. All the QBs were playing like garbage, and so many players were injured, there was no hope.