Dalvin Cooks signs with Jets - 1 year deal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I locked the other thread for parody account claim. After his release Jets might be interested in him. Who knows?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37818666/vikings-release-rb-dalvin-cook-source-says

The Minnesota Vikings have informed running back Dalvin Cook that they are releasing him, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Thursday.
    The move ends Cook's six-year tenure in Minnesota after the Vikings failed to find a trade partner for the running back.
    Cook, who turns 28 in August, was set to take up $14.1 million in cap space for 2023 and was due to earn $11 million if he spent the season with the Vikings. Those were big numbers for an aging running back who surpassed 1,500 touches in his career last season.
    The Miami Dolphins and Denver Broncos are two teams that are expected to have an interest in signing Cook once he officially is released, sources told Schefter.

2. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

If Breece is only 75% this makes a lot of sense. We don't have a huge window to work with and after last year Carter isn't the answer. Once Hall went down our running game was non existent.

JohnnyJet and KingRoach like this.
  4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Unless he (surprisingly) decides to play for less than he could get elsewhere, I just dont see it happenning. Would be nice though. Maybe I have too high of hopes for Israel as well...

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Meh. I get Breece won't be 100% right off the bat but Cook will get starter money somewhere and he isn't and shouldn't be our starter.

IDFjet and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Come on, Jets fans! This is the Jets' Super Bowl window. If they can sign a player like Dalvin Cook, you do it. He obviously makes the offense better, not to mention keeps him from Buffalo or Miami. Easy YES! from me.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think that's totally accurate. I don't know that Knight got any/many chances before Hall went down. When Knight finally got chances he was producing until AVT and perhaps another injury happened to an OL, and then his numbers tailed off significantly at the end of the season, but with the OL we were throwing out there to end the season, it's little wonder that we couldn't run the ball.

Based on what I've read, Hall is in pretty darned good shape. I liked Knight's potential before he even played a down last year, and I like it even more now. I like Abanikanda's potential as he seriously gives the D something else to think about. Cook is a very good, if not great, RB and I wouldn't want the Dolphins to get him, but if he's wanting anywhere near $11 million for this season, I hope the Jets will say "Thanks, but no thanks." If they can get him for around $4-$6 million, then fine, but who would they cut or trade? Just because Carter had a bad season last year doesn't mean that he's shot and the Jets should just give up on him. I think Knight has just as much potential, and maybe more than Carter. He's nearly as elusive and has more power, plus he can return kicks.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

For the last 2 seasons, the Bills have been a good RB away from a SB.

They are still kicking themselves for passing on Breece Hall, only for Breece to land on the Jets.

JohnnyJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Totally agree about Carter. He's is not a thumper but reminds me style-wise of Leon Washington. If you give him a crease he's gone, but he needs that crease. Some backs need to get a lot of touches to be effective. He can be stopped for short gains a few times, then bust one loose for a big gain, so his average can be deceiving. Cook on the other hand, is an accomplished runner, 4x pro-bowler and legitimate 1000 yd rusher. So if Minn. wants to trade him to the Jets, say, for Carter and Knight, I would do that deal. That would make room for him plus give the Jets a pretty good RB room with Hall, Cook, and the rookie. That should be enough insurance in case Hall isn't ready.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Jets created a two year window for themselves and should be adding every solid veteran they can that wants to come play here. Just like the Buccaneers did when Brady went there.

Add him. Why not? Michael Carter blows, Bam is decent and the kid is an unknown. Then you can put Hall on PUP until October and get a huge trade deadline style boost six weeks in.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m betting the running game as presently constituted will be far more effective than last year, particularly for Carter off the back field with a chance to catch and run. That’s the benefit when you have a QB you really have to defend for. If Cook gets signed, that would tell me Hall is not projected to be a starter by game one and probably on PUP. Might be wrong.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I would prefer to add a big ass bruiser RB than can punish defenses in the fourth quarter and kill the clock.

13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Cook and Bam have the same published height and weight….

I wonder how little Zeke and Fournette would play for…

Kinda like a closing pitcher, just bring them in the 4th when we have a lead.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

It’s not the front offices style. They had plenty of opportunities to take guys like Allgeier, Caleb Huntley, Rhamondre Stevenson (took Michael Carter over him), Roschon Johnson, etc.

They prioritize speed at the position. It’s not like this is the start of free agency though. I don’t understand why anyone would be against adding Cook or Zeke assuming that money doesn’t get in the way of a Quinnen Williams extension.

Chris Rodriguez would’ve been an interesting add.

Lon Chaney, KY Jets Fan and LAJet like this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good points. To me, getting Zeke on a limited role if the money is right would kind make sense and would keep the gazelles fresh for when it counts.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Cook is out there and can be reeled in on a 1-year deal that works the Jets should definitely do that. The offense needs a real threat in the backfield and Breece Hall is probably a half season out from being able to do that. Not to mention if he goes down again we can just write off that great half-season as a relic of the past.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Fuck it, sign Cook if he fits. I still think we're too light at the position, but they can grab a banger for the practice squad after final cuts.

I still don't want anything to do with Zeke.

JohnnyJet likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Why? He could introduce Zach Wilson to his first interracial relationship.

Is it the nose ring?

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He's a RB whose game was predicated on contact and quick cutbacks and he now does neither well. He runs with no authority. I get that he's an excellent 3DRB but if the Jets want to contend then they need to use those roster spots wisely and he's very one-dimensional at this point.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I was on board for Elliott but Cook is significant step up from Elliott. Go out and get Dalvin Cook

JohnnyJet and KY Jets Fan like this.