The Offensive Line Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Apr 28, 2023.

?

How confident are you that the offensive line, as currently constructed, can protect Rodgers?

1. Extremely Confident

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. Somewhat Confident

44 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. Not so Confident

45 vote(s)
    39.1%
  4. No Confidence Whatsoever

20 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, they can, but they never do until they admit that they have a problem. Sadly, for many, they have to hit rock bottom first, and suffer a lot of losses before they will accept that they have a problem. In Becton's case, it appears that he has already gotten help as evidenced by his slim physique this spring and his weight being down to 350. I'm sure that between the Jets talking with him, his agent, and his family, as well as his hiring a nutrionist last year, he has learned that lesson and is addressing it. Now, he just needs to learn to not feel so entitled. He needs to be more humble and work to earn what he gets in the NFL.

JetsNation06 and HackettSuxTNG like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

After trading all that draft capital for Rodgers, I don't think JD even remotely considered trading up in this draft. They wouldn't have been able to jump NE and trade to #13 as that was their original pick that went to GB in the pick swap. They weren't going to trade it back to us. There are no guarantees that NE would have traded down with us for a 4th either. They may have since JD has traded with them a couple of times before, and I think he traded down with them in this draft, but Belicheat may have demanded more from the Jets than he accepted from Pittsburgh. If JD had burned a 4th to get Jones, then we wouldn't have gotten Abanikanda, and our RB group would have been more iffy. According to what I've read, they really, really wanted Jahmyr Gibbs and if he had been there at #15, they would have taken him instead of McDonald. For that matter, if the Jets could have afforded to trade up this year, JD may have traded up for Gibbs. Once Gibbs was gone, I think the Jets targeted Abanikanda since he is sort of a Gibbs lite, he just doesn't have the receiving resume that Gibbs does.

I think they Jets feel a lot more confident in their OTs than the media and fanbase do, and I think that's for a good reason. Brown is solid. Becton has to shake off rust, but if he can stay healthy, at 350 he will be more agile and he has a lot to prove to himself and the NFL. Mitchell looked good in flashes last season, he's supposedly free of the blood clot issue, and has a year's experience and in the weight program. Billy Turner knows the scheme and is versatile. AVT is back and healthy. They added Tippman to the middle. They expect Tomlinson to bounce back after a bad season. Schweitzer is an upgrade over the IOL depth we had last year, and as you know, he was able to add Carter Warren in the 4th round. Just as importantly, Rodgers will call the protections and get the ball out quicker and he will make the OL look a lot better. I think that barring injuries, we will have a solid NFL above average OL, and I think it could become a dominant OL.

westiedog1 likes this.
  3. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

You make a very compelling argument here. I appreciate it.

4. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

The way I look at this is health and wild card 0 + Rogers. Let me explain, most posters say that if the players stay healthy we will have an average to above average line... now factor in Rogers and the new o.

Rogers is going to be getting rid of the ball within 2.5 sec (I bet) because he will be able to identify the D and what they are trying to do . Based on that, Rogers is going to be calling the protections to off set the D and then the ball will be going to spots or to the open reciever quickly....

Also, I'll remind everyone about what players have been saying about Rogers and his affect... be READY, know your assignments and adjustments. That will make the OL much better,

NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If like to see what this OL looks like with a HOF signal caller making adjustments at the line. We haven't seen a QB make real adjustments since Fitzmagic.

Dierking likes this.
  6. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

just competent QB Play in general should help the OL overall, Nevermind the right adjustments being made... my 2 Cents

Nyjets4eva, Dierking and abyzmul like this.
  7. HackettSuxTNG

I don't disagree with any of this. Just remember that when the OL does give up a QB hit, it will be done to a 40+ year old QB whose body simply will not be able to absorb the damage like a younger man can. EVERY precaution should be used to prevent this from happening, including cutting linemen who have proven to be a liability on and off the field.

JohnnyJet likes this.
  8. HackettSuxTNG

https://nypost.com/2023/08/09/jets-offensive-line-looks-brutal-versus-panthers-in-major-problem/

Jets’ offensive line looks brutal against Panthers as problem persists

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — The Jets’ offense failed its first test of the preseason.

The Aaron Rodgers-led Jets had their first chance to face an opponent during a joint practice with the Panthers on Wednesday, but they had trouble moving the ball.

The offensive line was the main problem.

It allowed Rodgers to get pressured and raised questions about whether this unit will improve before the regular season gets here.

Quarterbacks can’t be touched in practice, but Rodgers would have been sacked at least twice, and perhaps a few other times.

There is still a month to go before the Jets open the season against the Bills on “Monday Night Football,” but they have to be concerned about the offensive line, particularly the tackles.

It is still unclear who the starting tackles will be.

amuck57 likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not just a personnel problem, I worry about the scheme too.

The 2022 Denver Broncos, coached by Nathaniel Hackett, were the single most sacked team in the NFL last season (63).

sozopol and Cman68 like this.
  10. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I feel like the LT position COULD be ok with some combo of Brown and Becton. RT is an issue.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You’re generally in trouble if you’re comboing any spot on the OLine.

I watched some NFL Network 32 team training camp coverage and Brian Burns dusted Becton a couple times. He’s really good so it’s somewhat expected but yeah we’re pretty ugly on the edge. I wonder how long til we just kick AVT out to one of them and solidify one of the spots.

You can mask bad guard play as long as they’re not GVR bad. You can’t mask turnstile tackles. Wayne Hunter wrecked an entire season for us.

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

this is definitely JD’s biggest weakness thus far…his trust in Becton to hold down one of the spots last year and again this year is a very questionable decision, and his earlier approach in his first two years of signing mid to low level free agents to hold down spots in hindsight was not good…that’s what got us the likes of GVR starting…then his big splash free agent signing in Tomlinson disappointed greatly last year. He hit the jackpot in AVT but all in all, hard to say he’s done well here, and it will cost us dearly….can’t afford to suck at both tackle spots, and this should absolutely be the main focus next year.

I’m hoping we can at least be decent if Becton can stay on the field, and then some combo of Brown, Becton, and Max can hold down the tackle spots and at least be decent

sozopol and tomdeb like this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Not taking Anton Harrison last draft is going to bite us in the butt. We have a super deep defensive line and one injury on the OL puts us in jeopardy.

#213 ouchy, Aug 10, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
    tomdeb and teamgreen like this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I promise you the answer was not Anton Harrison. This goes back years. Becton was a mistake, the patch fixes with Duane Brown and George Fant and now Billy god damn Turner were a mistake, in some ways the stubbornness and arrogance of the staff for thinking the system will produce players was a mistake. Love mostly everything Douglas has done and I think Saleh is going to go down as one of the best coaches in franchise history when it's all said and done but the OL situation has been botched top to bottom by the front office led by Douglas and coaching staff led by Saleh.

amuck57, SOJAZ, teamgreen and 2 others like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I dunno if Anton Harrison was the answer and you can’t just pick the next tackle that was available on the board and say we should’ve taken him. It was a pretty weak tackle draft at the top in general unfortunately (just our luck).

Skoronski was the only true top-tier left tackle prospect in the draft in my eyes and Darnell Wright as a power run blocking right tackle. I also didn’t really get all the crying on this board over Broderick Jones.

Maybe he turns out to be really good but those Georgia offensive lineman don’t have a great track record in the NFL in the past decade because they play across a line of 320+ pounders and just manhandle opposing schools without much technique. Andrew Thomas is the only one whose been exceptional so far.

Douglas’s huge mistake was not bringing Fant back at a modest $3+ million. He’s been inconsistent but he’s a true NFL tackle. He also should’ve made a bigger effort to give Morgan Moses a starting spot last year and retain him. Again, another decent NFL tackle. He also won’t really draft mid-round offensive lineman at all which is where you create your pipeline.

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yes Morgan Moses was the one that I have harped on…I know he said he wanted to play on a contender and all that, but had we made a real effort to keep him I’ll always believe that money talks. Always

Players will say whatever sounds good but in the end, 99% of the decisions come down to money…

And yah, I get AR giving up $35M…doesn’t happen often, but that’s a unique situation with a legendary guy on his last dance who wants to go for it all and stick it to the Pack

I really wanted to keep Moses, and I truly believe that had JD made a REAL effort to keep him, we could’ve gotten it done

17. BrowningNagle

Harrison is in the starting lineup for Jacksonville already

18. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

I have been worried about the O line since camp started and was hoping JD would make a move. The fact is the Jets line sucks. JD needs to do whatever it takes to pry a good tackle to the Jets before the start of the season; Lets face it Becton is a bust, Turner sucks, Brown is still on the pup and is a few years away from collecting social security. Max at best is a swing tackle. The only hope I have is that JD was an offensive line player and probably is already working the phones to make a deal. I just can't believe this shit when we are pretty close to being a legit contender. As for everyone who is worried about draft picks, at best Rodgers will be around for 2 yeas so fuck the picks and do what it takes to land a good tackle.

sozopol likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Cam Robinson is suspended for the first four games. He has to start. This is like saying "Billy Turner is in the starting lineup for the Jets already".

20. BrowningNagle

Billy Turner is in the Jets starting lineup. god help us.