Jets OTA Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, May 23, 2023.

1. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

To all, let the kid chill and learn. If he can learn from the "way" AR's performs his QB duties, including communicating and leadership, that that is a good thing. If he becomes "good" that is great for us and the franchise; however, if he doesn't then we missed on a draft choice which happens all the time.

Frankly, to me it doesn't matter what he does in OTA. In my book, preseason will be the tell... esp. when the bullets start flying. Then and only then will any of us know...

Pepsiguy5, Cman68, Jets79 and 5 others like this.
  2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I have no faith in ZW as a NFL QB and beyond that, he's the least likeable (to me) NYJ player I can ever recall. I hated Eric Barton for that roughing the passer but that had nothing to do with his personality. I really could do without him on the jets. IMO

sozopol likes this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I hope that Zach will ask for a trade this offseason and the Jets will grant it. Then I can bid adieu to the insanity that is the NY Jets, and can go root for Zach on his new team

BrowningNagle likes this.
  4. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

They posted a throw from Arod on social media and I don’t think we ever seen a QB at least with my own eyes place it so good. Can’t wait for the season

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Zack Wilson was a covid baby.

Think back to that season we drafted ZW. No fans in the stands his final year at BYU. Which means no scouts in the stands either. And if you recall, no combine that year. No workouts, no team meetings with potential draft picks. Nada. And no visits to Jets land. Teams can bring in 30 potential draft picks for personal visits, dinner with the owners, etc. But not that year. Zero face-2-face with ANY candidates. Joe Douglas' ONLY 'close contact' was standing on the sidelines with mask covering his face watching ZW throw in shorts at BYU. One hour. That's it, plus 2 zoom calls. It was the worse year ever to put all your eggs in one basket.

And then the training camp that wasn't. Coaches had to communicate practice plans with players over ZOOM! No pre-season games, those were cancelled too.

And no Vet QB for ZW to learn from during his early days....the one mistake JD recognizes.

But here we are, with ZW as our highly drafted future franchize QB>>>Who's looking like anything but.

Very easy for fans to turn on him and run him out of town. Very easy.

Until you see the horrible times other teams are having trying everything, anything really, to land their own QB. Colts have ran thru every has-been vet on the planet, and all failed. Raiders gave up on Carr. 9ers gave up on Jimmy G. Landing a top QB is the harderst thing in sports, and teams can spend an entire decade trying. Sanchez, Geno Smith, Fitzmagic, Sam Darnold, now Zack Wilson. Jets have been in this game for over a decade.

So to me, with a young QB with a truly magic arm under contract, we owe it to ourselves to see if, a big if, spending 2 years behind Aaron Rodgers, the best QB of our era, will allow Zack to grow as a person and as an NFL QB. The stakes are too HUGE to turn away from ZW now and return to ground zero, where we've been for the last 15+ years.

burf, azhar80, NCJetsfan and 4 others like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Someday soon the Memphis Showboats message board is gonna be filled with 4 paragraph rants on how they aren't developing Zach Wilson correctly :)

twown likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very well said. All excellent observations. We shot for the moon for a QB in the midst of the worst draft year for scouts and coaches and evaluators. All virtual, incomplete, betting the farm on a few eye opening throws in shorts with no one around the receiver. Add the untimely death of a great QB guru for Zach who sadly never got to mentor him. Compound it with a rookie OC that needed to be mentored himself, never mind mentoring an even greener, raw QB without the exposure of the key fundamental's behind a disciplined timing offense. Yet with so many unknowns we went into the season with no real vet QB to take the reins realizing Zach was not remotely ready.
    Very easy for fans to just hate on Zach, but sure smells like a perfect storm of collective inexperience and inadequate vet presence at many levels.
    Might be too little to late for Zach, hope not, but the next 2 years will not only set the stage for the Jets turn around success, but for the Jets to ear mark the QB that will lead this young team post Rogers.

#147 LAJet, Jun 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Kinda like not watching the games and yet still forming deeply held opinions on what’s happening during them.

abyzmul and stinkyB like this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey man, there are endless podcasts from people who are almost as qualified to discuss football as the Jets team bus driver, that you can listen to all day and they will give you your opinion. Only losers actually watch the games and form their own.

#149 abyzmul, Jun 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    stinkyB and KingRoach like this.
  10. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

the alternative is/was fields...who has also sucked as a passer.

KingRoach likes this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Or holding on to Sam

Dierking, stinkyB, KingRoach and 2 others like this.
  12. abyzmul

I can't imagine Sam would have done much worse.

stinkyB likes this.
  13. stinkyB

Sadly at this point I wish Zach looked like Sam....

Dierking and abyzmul like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent post. One of your best!

#154 NCJetsfan, Jun 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  15. stinkyB

Perfect place for this bizarrenesssssss..

RIP

16. stinkyB

to be fair... watching the JETS for a few years sure made me feel like a loser for wasting my Sunday like that....

17. abyzmul

They really tried to set the fail standard during this last cycle of misery.

Edit: what if this is like 1408 and this is just a dream that we're out of the hotel, and then Aaron Rodgers morphs into Sam Jackson with a red afro and Zach Wilson signs a 9 year extension?

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I just don't buy that the Shanahan system is transplantable with anybody but a great QB. It relies on having a player that you can move all over the formation and who works as well out of the backfield as he does on the edge. It creates straight rushes at the QB now and then that can be very costly. It requires very nimble OL who can stay oriented without contact and then handle the sudden readjustments required on the cutback blocks.

It seems to work well for SF but I'm not a long-term buyer on even that phenomenon. Too often the team is missing key assets at the end of the season because next man up doesn't work very well when he's trying to replace a unicorn or an OL who is able to handle all the adjustments the system asks an OL to make on the fly.

19. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Hey now
    That's a great movie

Sent from my IPhone 43 using Tapatalk V.86

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

TU. Nice to have you back.

So to me, it's almost like we drafted a young BYU qb this season to let him sit 2 years behind Aaron Rodgers. Kinda like the Packers did with Jordan Love. Anyway, I really hope it all works out for us!

burf, NY Jets68 and NCJetsfan like this.