Jets: Dolphins interview Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Jan 11, 2007.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

We can only hope.

The Pats had already won 3 Super Bowls, their systems had been in place for years. Our team just finished it's first rebuilding year, has a slew of new young players that are still learning, and still has many pieces missing. The players need consistency, they do not need their fourth OC in 4 years.

If you don't think that would hurt the team, then we will never agree on this issue.

2. abyzmul

jaywayne, I agree with your point about Chad's physical limitations, for the 2006 season I think he was the absolute best option we had at QB when installing this offense. Chad is definitely not the prototype QB for this offense, just look at the offenses out west that it's modeled off of and you can tell that easily.

But we needed a strong, intelligent veteran presense under center and we had one on the roster during a rebuilding year that we spent 2 first rounders on O-linemen who ended up starting as rookies. If you really watch the offense, from the moment the previous play ends to the time the next play is snapped, you can see the loads of communication involved, and I think guys like Mangold, Brick, Leon, and every other player benefited from Chad being able to pick up the offense quickly enough to have to O moving fluidly enough for this rebuilding team to make the POs. I don't think too many QBs in the league could have had the lead as well given the circumstances. I'm sure Mangold wouldn't have flourished so early if there was a less mentally adaptive QB behind him.

Arm strength is all well and good but if the guy is as dumb as Michael Vick you might as well chop his arm off and put it on a spit when you are running a complex offense.

Now that we have gotten past the absolute worst part of the rebuild, I have the feeling that the grooming of Clemens will advance much more quickly.

#22 abyzmul, Jan 11, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  3. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

I think we both agree that it hurts to lose a good coordinator. I just think we disagree degree. They won't go to a whole new scheme. They will have someone that runs a similar scheme to EM's oversight and liking.

The beautiful thing about the NE system is that it is just that "a system". That is what EM brings to the Jets. They do the same thing with players as they do with coaches. That is why player and coach defections don't affect them as much as traditional ones do. They don't base the their success on an individual, they base it on a system which is exactly why NE has been mostly unaffected when players and coordinators leave.

If EM is truely operating in BB's vein losing BS should not be a major set back or used as an excuse to lose, as it likely would be from some coaches in our not too recent past :wink:

4. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

I heard there is an outbreak of Anthrax cases right now in Canada-- with the right weather conditions, the US could be next.

5. abyzmul

I understand where you're coming from, but I think the jury is still out on the Pats' effectiveness post-Weiss/Crennel. They haven't really won anything yet except for regular season games (which the Colts can do as well) and 2 wildcard games.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I can see the argument here but I'm not sold yet. I do believe that it has hurt Belichik tremendously to keep losing coordinators every year. For a couple of seasons there he had the Pats on auto-pilot through people like Weis and Crennel and then he could spend most of his in-game coaching time observing and coming up with adjustments on the fly, which is what his biggest single strength is.

7. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Excellent points...from a standpoint of direction, leadership and field general...leading two rookies on the offensive line in a new and pretty complicated offense, your points are right on the money. My only points were limiting the size of the field. Not many QBs could come in and run this offense better than Chad did..and that includes all the glory boys too.

Totally 100% agree with your post.

8. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

agreed...i was a fan of henderson too...i'm sure schott will be back, as i don't think miami will be thrilled with the idea of a 33 year old head coach

9. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on how you define tremendously. Losing your OC and your DC and then in the following year winning your division and losing to the Steelers in the playoffs, who ultimately win the superbowl is not too shabby. Rather impresssive considering the circumstances.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Pats lost to the Broncos in Denver last year. Broncos then lost to the Steelers.

That's the only playoff loss they've during Belichik's tenure so I think it's fair to say that losing his coordinators had an effect. Expecially since the Pats beat the Broncos 2 out of 4 with Weis and Crennel on board and are now 0-3 against them since their departures.

Wow, that just sunk in: there's a team out there that has Bill Belichik's number to the tune of 2-7 since he took over the Pats. Now I really want Jeremy Bates as OC if the improbable happens and Schottenheimer gets hired somewhere.

11. Jetsman5137

Jetsman5137 New Member

Yeah thats what I'm thinking, why do they want a guy who is like younger than Zack Thomas? I know you hear great stories about young coaches, but Miami is in a position to win now IMO. There is no reason why they have to start completely over.