General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Movies have sucked lately. I wanted to take my lady to the movies saturday night, we looked and our options were 4 sequels, a cartoon, or another movie headlined by 90 year old Jane Fonda & friends

pass. what a shame. all that money going to Hollywood and this is what we get

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

That’s because all this crap was greenlit three years ago when that was all the market wanted. Hollywood is not very good at anticipating change and will run a well dry before figuring it out.

stinkyB, Br4d, Cman68 and 3 others like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yeah, at least Killers of the Flower Moon will be good. Gotta wait till October though for that one. It was a great book

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Whenever I read something like this, I have to decide whether I want to read the book or ignorantly watch the movie. But if I read the book, I probably won't watch the movie for 10+ years.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse comes out today. Then The Flash comes out in 2 weeks. Looks like both will be really good. Maybe some of you that are sick of comic book films will change your tune if actual good films come out!

barfolomew likes this.
  6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I don’t consider Spider-Verse in the same genre as the live action comic-book movies of the past 20 years even though it’s based on a comic book character. I consider it an animated movie first and foremost. That being said, lumping it in with all comic book movies it’s arguably top five of all time, and isn’t weighed down by the repetitiveness of the modern comic movie genre. I want to see it.

The Flash, on the other hand, just looks like more of the same and Michael Keaton should have been brought back for a Batman Beyond movie, not the Flash.

7. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't care about DC/Marvel movies. I watched a few and I like some and others were so-so at best. Maybe because I was never into comic books as a kid??? I was more into Mad Magazine back then.

barfolomew and The Dark Knight like this.
  8. abyzmul

I never really liked DC comics when I was a kid, although I made a few exceptions like TDKR and Watchmen. Probably because I grew up watching Superfriends on Saturday mornings and the cheese factor was through the roof on that show.

Marvel seemed edgier by comparison, but it was around the time of the Mutant Massacre.

stinkyB and barfolomew like this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Batman was the bomb. Everybody else in the DC lineup was old and worn or side case by the time I started devouring comics in the late 60's.

The Dark Knight and barfolomew like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Waiting for Meg 2. Not expecting much more than a money grab but considering the garbage that's passed as sequels, this one might have some potential.

barfolomew likes this.
  11. abyzmul

You're expecting a sequel with Jason Statham and a giant CGI shark to be a money grab?

stinkyB and Cman68 like this.
  12. Cman68

yep.. and water is wet.. I'm on the Regal Movie Program where for $25/mo, I can see unlimited movies as often as I want. So basically, for me it's a free trip to the movies. Besides, my local theatre has the best buttered popcorn in the business. :)

abyzmul likes this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Deep Blue Sea was great and all the sequels were money grabs. Albeit generationally challenged since they came so long after the original.

Most of the time the trick to figuring out if a sequel is going to be good is looking for a number in the movie title. If it's a roman numeral you have a chance (Godfather II) otherwise it's just a money grab.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. Cman68

Saw "Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny" yesterday. Another closeout of a franchise. Could have been done better but I guess when you're turning off the lights, anything goes. I hope they don't make the female main character into the female IJ. Seems to be the thing these days to feminize or darken male heroes. Plot and scenes were typical of any IJ movie. No new ground except for the time paradox thing. Other than that, not a good choice for the younger movie audience as this movie paid homage to the priors and was intended to be the end of the road for the franchise. If you're a fan? see it. If not? don't. Doesn't get simpler than that..

The Dark Knight likes this.
  15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

'Room 37: The Mysterious Death of Johnny Thunders', what a pile of shit. I never laughed so hard in my life. Well, OK, yes, I have, like the time I couldn't stop shrieking in St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City and almost got thrown out bodily by the Swiss Guard. I wasn't 15 or something, it was a few years ago. Anyway, this movie sucked so hard.

There the filmmakers were, trying valiantly to make me feel pity in my heart for the misunderstood junkie guitarist who used to play for the New York Dolls. Never has heroin addiction been so hilarious.

I sincerely hope that the 'actor' who played Johnny Thunders never works another day in his life. He looks like Rick Ocasek playing a zombie. Story? Who cares. Script? Terrible. The horror of a lost life to an accidental overdose? The cure for depression.

I'm telling ya, don't do it. Unless, of course, you feel like laughing your ass off; which in that case, you absolutely should.

Holy Shit, hahahahahaha.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. Cman68

Downloaded "The Marvels". Disney is about to accomplish something DC could never do. That is, the destruction of the Marvel brand. The Marvels sucked unless you're of the age where Taylor Swift is on your bedroom wall. Nothing there to see for anyone with perhaps two drops of Testosterone in their system.

barfolomew likes this.
  17. Cman68

Aquaman 2 was just ok. Another good time killer and not all that bad for a sequel. I have a feeling if there's a 3rd Aquaman coming out, it should come after the JL sequel. No spoilers here but it felt like the end of the road.

The Dark Knight and barfolomew like this.
  18. abyzmul

Sometimes Disney wakes up and realizes they actually aren't capable of mind control.

Cman68 likes this.
  19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Is there really such a dearth of talent and creativity that super hero and comic book movies is all the big studios EVER splurge on and actually have the audacity to unleash on a SUSPECTING public? And they suck, anyway? I try to be respectful of all of the super hero love, but if those were the only movies that would be made in the future to the exclusion of all else, I'm confident that I'd never watch another film. I've expressed this before that I should probably be more open seeing as the subject matter bores me comatose, but I'm really starting to feel that I'm not missing anything and that I'd either fall asleep or walk out. I'm not sure which one means, "This sucks!" more.

barfolomew likes this.
  20. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I do find the plethora of superhero movies disheartening. It's infantilizing. I'm a grown man, a soldier, I don't need Superman to come save me. I'll save myself.
    Also, in an odd way it's a return to paganism. As the churches of this country empty, many of the irreligious look for a new mythos or hero.

Disney's new film Wish was good. B-.

#1000 barfolomew, Jan 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2024