The Offensive Line Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Apr 28, 2023.

?

How confident are you that the offensive line, as currently constructed, can protect Rodgers?

1. Extremely Confident

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. Somewhat Confident

44 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. Not so Confident

45 vote(s)
    39.1%
  4. No Confidence Whatsoever

20 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

There are a lot of "tolerant" people in the world just like you.

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

How did this go 24+ hours without

“Championship”

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah you are so tolerant you are mad at a player because another player rolled him up and are calling him fat and saying cut him. Maybe I should learn tolerance from you :)

4. HackettSuxTNG

I never suggested you get banned from the board for disagreeing with me. You actually could learn something from me.

5. GasedAndConfused

no you suggested someone lose their job because someone else injured them. thats way worse. with an attitude like that, no I can't learn anything from you. how about I come to your job smash your knee, then call you fat and lazy and say you should be fired. shows how shitty your original attitude was in perspective huh?

6. HackettSuxTNG

No, that is what you WISHED I said, because that would better fit your argument. What I actually said was any man who collected 15 million dollars from a team, yet managed to have so little regard for that organization, it's fans, and worse of all his teammates that he would choose to literally EAT himself out of physical condition to actually be able to perform his job, DESERVES to be cut from the team.

Boomer rips Mekhi Becton for deleted tweet about Jets role (audacy.com)

This is a lucid, intelligent, well-thought out counter-argument to a point I simply did not make. Let me put it to you this way: Suppose I was so addicted to alcohol, that I repeatedly showed up to work physically incapable of performing my job. Would I deserve to keep my job?

7. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Somewhat confident.

There are a few question marks.

Will Becton stay healthy and be the player the Jets drafted him to be?

Will Thomlinson have a bounce back year?

I think the Jets have enough depth to make it work. Max Mitchell proved serviceable at tackle and AVT is a good emergency plug in at the position. They also drafted Warren in round 4 and still have Brown just in case. They also beefed up the Interior by drafting Tippman, and signing some depth players so they do have a strong front with multiple options with McGovern.

Ideally, the line will be as follows:

Becton - LT - Tippman - AVT - Mitchell

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

wrong bro this is what you said
    your alcohol example doesn't fit your original narrative. his knee didn't break because he was fat and it gave out, it broke because another lineman rolled up on him.

9. HackettSuxTNG

He was grossly overweight when he attempted to return from injury. This has been reported as fact by numerous reputable reporters who have covered the sport.

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. HackettSuxTNG

It fits just fine because instead of rehabilitating his knee with the medical staff, he chose to rehabilitate it at his local all-you-can-eat buffet. He was addicted to food, and put it above his teammates.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yeah F Becton. I used to have his back a lot. This latest exclusive where he trashed everyone and anyone else showed his true colors. They could cut him tomorrow and I wouldn't care

12. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

?
    What and when did he trash everyone?

13. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

I mean speaking for myself I just felt like it was so obvious it didn’t need to be said out loud!

14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Definitely not confident. But I think the potential is there. The injury risk is what makes my confidence plummet.

I think:

Brown/Becton
    Tomlinson/Tippman
    McGovern/Tippman
    AVT
    Brown/Mitchell/Becton

is at the very least an average offensive line. I will take an average line right now. Obviously injuries play a huge role.

There's also the unknown of what Rodgers presence will do. Being able to look at a defense and know whats coming is something the Jets haven't had in a long time.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, nycarl and 2 others like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

NY Post exclusive article from last week

RochesterJet likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

so again 1) injury wasn't his fault and had nothing to do with his weight. now your moving goal posts. the injury and rehab are 2 separate things. you blamed his weigh for the injury when he was playing at a near pro bowl level as a rookie prior to the unlucky injury that was not his fault.

now you are pivoting to the rehab. and again this is all nonsense and rumor at best. literally 0 proof. all the pics we seen of him this offseason and last off season he looked great. not fat by any means. all visual proof leads to him working his butt off. it's normal to gain weight after surgery. all pro athletes do. hell even ripped movie stars do after filming. but they work back to where they were in time. becton has looked good in camp. you are addicted to being wrong apparently

17. HackettSuxTNG

Thats because we are talking about different injuries. (Courtesy of Wikipedia)

You are speaking about the initial injury:

On September 12, 2021, Becton suffered an apparent knee injury and was carted off the field. It was revealed that Becton had suffered cartilage damage, which required surgery, putting him out for 4–6 weeks.[9] He was placed on injured reserve on September 14, 2021.[10]

I am focusing on the injury he suffered in training camp when he was returning from the above injury, and by being grossly and selfishly overweight rather than proper rehabilitation, caused the next injury:

On July 27, 2022, after George Fant was moved to left tackle, Becton was shifted to right tackle.[11] On August 8, during training camp, Becton was diagnosed with an avulsion fracture of his right kneecap. Eight days later, the Jets placed him on injured reserve, and he missed the entire season

New York Jets move slimmer Mekhi Becton to right tackle; George Fant to play left tackle - ESPN

"Becton's status was cloudy in the minicamp because of his conditioning. After skipping the voluntary portion of the offseason, he showed up overweight in June, which sparked concern among the coaches. Becton, who weighed as much as 400 pounds last season during his injury rehab, was thought to be in the 390s in minicamp."

18. GasedAndConfused

it's all the same injury. it wasn't fully healed. becton also complained something felt wrong during practice (allegedly according to him at least which is a better source then what we have) and was told to play through it which led to the injury. he hurt it practicing. not walking at a buffet and it was already weakened and maybe he wasn't ready and the doctors rushed him back. medical professionals make mistakes too. cimini is an awful source so a link to him is useless. on top of that the link you put had 0 reference to the made up weight however a direct quote from saleh in the article states "On Wednesday, he was noticeably trimmer. The organization was thrilled with his weight loss.
    "I'm not going to get too much into the weight," Saleh said, "but he got himself into football shape. He's a gifted athlete, a gifted man. I'm really excited about the direction he's going."" another quote form his nutritionist in the same link "Becton didn't reveal his current weight but said he hit his goal. His personal nutritionist, Ann Claiborne, told ESPN that he "slimmed down a lot." He stayed in New Jersey for most of the six-week break, working with the team's trainers and conditioning staff." here is another article with more legit sources saying he was in great shape last year when showing up to camp
    https://thejetpress.com/posts/mekhi...p,Jets "are excited about the shape he's in."

In other words the staff, saleh, and his nutritionist plus the pictures we seen all showed him in great shape. meanwhile your blaming him for a reinjury based on cimini pulling a weight number out of his ass. funny thing is even if he was 390-400 lbs thats only 20-30lbs weight gain from his normal playing weight (370) during a 6 month leg injury and on someone as large as him, it's pretty negligible. thats an 8% weight gain while not being able to work out or run. it's like a 200lb WR gaining 16lbs during an injury. athletes take that weight right off as becton did. here is a picture of him from march 2023 alongside his rookie size
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fvi5-78XoAE_6cr?format=jpg&name=large he's rumored to be around 340-350 right now. your telling me that is a lazy jerk who should be cut and got hurt for being fat? congrats on instantly making a bad impression upon your return to the forums

19. HackettSuxTNG

Clearly you are not a hockey fan.

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

How confident? Not very. They botched the draft when they had better OL prospects still on the board and passed on them. I felt like they didn't have a real good plan once Belichick f*cked us once again by moving up.

Quantity doesn't equal quality. You just bring in a future first ballot HOF QB and you don't draft him a franchise OL. Not smart. We shall see but there's a lot of average/injury prone guys in that room.

SOJAZ likes this.