Head Coaches DO make a difference

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, May 29, 2023.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Here’s another one. Pennington, 54 yards on the dot post-two rotator cuff surgeries.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The intent of my original post was not to regurgitate the same arguments about Zach, it was to underscore the fact that in almost all the arguments about him, those criticizing him never seem to acknowledge the impact that the coaching situation had on his performance: first time defensive HC; first time OC; first time QBC; very unstable and erratic OL; mediocre weapons - and when the best were on the field, Zach often wasn't and when he was they often weren't. All of these very real issues - many of them that existed for Sam - are dismissed by the anti-Zach crowd as "excuses", but as I said in another post here, one man's excuse is another man's reason.

OTOH, I (and a few others) have consistently acknowledged Zach's problems and his need to improve, but there is still potential there IMO. If all goes well, we'll begin to see some of that as he works with Rodgers and Hackett in practice and P.S., and maybe some snaps in the regular season in mop up duty.

I guess I was looking for a fair and balanced discussion, but I can see that in today's climate that's impossible - it's either black or white, you're right or you're wrong.

Brook! you may as well lock the thread as far as I'm concerned.

3. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

I hope Wilson is ready in 2025 and resign him cheap.
    @ColoradoContrails @NCJetsfan - Just promise if Zach still sucks in two years from now - you will take it ALL back.

4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

minus the excitement. prollyh most INTERESTING year since Favre. or maybe 99..and that interest lasted as long as Vinny'c achilles... POP, there goes the SEAson!

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've already said numerous times that I'm not guaranteeing he'll succeed - especially after the mishandling of him so far. But if he fails, I have no problem admitting I was wrong. How about if he succeeds - will you take everything back?

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You know I’m in line with you regarding untapped potential, and accept the fact many here have already written him off as if it was all on Zach and ignoring coaching, readiness etc etc as contributors. In either case, the only thing that will change the perception by all of us is what he does over the next two years. I hope for the Jets sake he flourishes and we need not look elsewhere.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I suspect one way or another we're going to get a glimpse or two this season, and probably he'll play fairly regularly in the preason and we'll see with our own eyes if it was all LaFleur's fault or if Zach might be at least tangentially to blame.

We're also going to for sure get to see what LaFleur does with the Rams.

And just like last year one of the reason's I'm a little skeptical about heaping too much blame in LaFleur's direction was watching multiple other QB's of varying skills and reputation all do pretty well when Zach was out and they got a chance. It looked to me like Wilson started off at a certain level and over his 2 partial seasons never really progressed much if at all and the opposition, especially Belichik, slowly found the range and started making things harder for him.

Jets79 and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  8. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Also, on the learning by osmosis thing.

I actually think this Aaron Rodgers thing is potentially really good for Wilson. Assuming he's mentally able to conquer the mental aspect of NFL QBing, which he may just not be, AND fully applies himself, which I assume he will, this 2023 ability to take a break and watch an inner circle Hall of Famer operate could be a real lifeline for his career.

Whatever details and parts of the NFL game he's having the most trouble with hopefully enough time and reps, coupled with maybe a fresh perspective from Rodgers/Hackett likely give him the best possible chance to fix it.

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree. The Jets never self evaluate their mistakes. They think the big spend will hide all the bad coaching. The little difference I think this might work with Rodgers is his OC is here. He knows Rodgers and more importantly, they get along well. Something never said about Gase. As always we Jets fans get optimistic with each newly hired coach. Initially, I liked the Salah hire but he should have never hired LeFleur. LeFleur messed up Wilson. I liked Wilson coming out of college and I still think he can be fixed. Hopefully, Rodgers and Hackett can help him reach his potential.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Aaron Rodgers, Josh Allen, Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence, Anthony Richardson, Will Levis, Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert, Russell Wilson, Jalen Hurts, Matthew Stafford, Kyler Murray, Bryce Young, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, and maybe other QBs I'm not currently thinking of could make that play. And it's funny how that play keeps getting referenced even though it was from 2021 since that's about all Zach has.

ouchy and Ralebird like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anyone saying that it was all MLF's fault and that Zach didn't share some of the blame. If nothing else, Zach didn't find a way to succeed and play well in spite of MLF, if not because of MLF. Maybe the offense is too complex for him or maybe he doesn't like the offense as it doesn't fit his strengths and what he likes to do. Maybe he had a personality conflict with MLF.

We can see how the Rams' offense performs, but unless players or reporters start saying that the Rams players are crediting MLF for their good play, I doubt that we'll know how much is MLF and how much is McVay if they play well. I imagine that McVay has told MLF what he likes to do with the WCO, how he wants to offense to be run, and how the games should be called. IMO the only way we'll have a clear idea of how MLF is doing with the Rams is if their offense really struggles more than in the past. Then it will be pretty clear that MLF is the problem.

I think your last sentence is spot on. If anything, I think Zach has regressed badly. With his work ethic, I doubt that is due to lack of work or desire on Zach's part. I think it's due to his head swimming from trying to do too much at one time (fix mechanics, change how he plays, still learning the WCO, and struggling to read more complex Ds). I think he's been overwhelmed. Now he will get a chance to continue focusing on fixing his mechanics, better learning the offense (hopefully one that will be a better fit for his skillset), and improve on reading Ds and getting the ball out quickly, without the pressure of playing each week, and will get to watch a master in this offense run it like it should be run.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why is Zach Wilson such a large concern at this point?

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Either black or white? Is that why you want the thread closed? Because the majority of responses disagree with you? Come on, man - this is a discussion; there's absolutely no reason to shut it down.

boozer32 likes this.
  14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I thought that required him taking pschydellics? 'cuz the in the last 4 games of Sam Darnold's rookie season he was the highest rated QB in the NFL

boozer32 likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dont think so. I hope he proves me wrong but I doubt learning from Aaron Rodgers "by osmosis" is gonna help.

He already had multiple veterans to learn from Joe Flacco, Mike White. Flacco is actually better to learn "by osmosis" from because he always had a strong arm and struggled with accuracy, which is the type of QB Wilson is. Wilson could see how Flacco managed his accuracy issues and harnessed his arm strength. From White he could learn how to prepare and do well when you aren't a natural talent.

But Rodgers is a naturally accurate passer without working through the struggles that Wilson has. It is like watching Steph Curry bury 3 pointers and saying well there ya go, learn from that. Great- how?

I also don't think Rodgers has been known as a tireless worker getting by on his preparedness. He is kinda always been the chill guy who shows up on gameday and kicks ass, even more so now as an older vet. Wilson is never going to be that guy

boozer32 and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Because Aaron Rodgers turns 40 at the beginning of December and Zach Wilson is still the most likely person to replace him on the field in the event of injury or age-related decline.

boozer32 and Acad23 like this.
  17. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Given how bad Zach is, psychedelics can only help.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'm saying mentally he doesn't have a grasp of the game and that's why he's been unsuccessful. yes some of it could be on the coaches and OC.
    yeah that was easily one of his best if not his best games in the NFL. and it came in his rookie season.
    it was the 46 to the 2. he also had a clean pocket, was set and put it all into it and underthrew an open guy which made it a tough catch. a flea flicker without pressure to a man with 5 yards on his DB is a huge difference to a scramble drill, directing the WR, and chucking a laser while jumping backwards. wilsons throw is a million times more impressive. if brees had a better arm thats an easy completion 5 yards deep in the end zone, if he had the pressure zach had it's wildly underthrown and picked or incomplete

when it comes to "crazy throws" mahomes and allen are the tops. after them zach is in that group with people like herbert, rodgers, probably a couple of others.
    hurts can't do that, tua can't do that, purdy can't do that, mac jones can't do that.
    the thing is with being a QB there is an arm floor and guys like brees and penny were there but their mental ability, timing, rythem, etc were all elite which is why they suceeded. zach has the physical tools in bunches just not the mental.

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not even close. watson doens't have an arm anything close to that, lawerence doesn't either or the quick release for it. richardson and levis haven't payed a snap in the NFL yet, mahomes obviously yes, herbert probably as he's elite arm too, wilson? no way lol, hurts nope, stafford maybe 5 years ago but not now, murray? nope, young hasn't played a snap, lance nope too long a wind up, fields nope slow release and overthrows deep unless wide open. literally only like 3-4 of those guys is it actually true

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Touch is more important than arm strength. You want to really allow the receiver to run underneath the throw. It'll give you a little margin for error if you undershoot it a bit.

Aaron Rodgers

boozer32, papapump and Jonathan_Vilma like this.