Chris Simms at it again....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Dec 21, 2022.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

its not enough. Period. He is what he is. A 50% passer who will make a few wow throws, typically out of the pocket on a broken play, but there is just way too much garbage to offset the few wow plays he does make. Last week in watching the game I didn’t feel like he was total dogshit, but he wasn’t good by any means. 51% for Chrissakes! That’s just flat out not acceptable. It’s clear receivers hate playing with him because he doesn’t see them half the time and then when he does throw to them, the throws are off target half the time. He’s brutal.

he may improve this offseason but honestly I just think the odds are against it.

2. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="ColoradoContrails, post: 4280667, member: 22211"
    If the defense had not given up a 4th down 52 yard TD...if Saleh had used his time outs correctly...if Elijah Moore simply falls down instead of losing 6 yards...the Jets either beat the Lions or at worst, tie them and go into OT because of plays that Zach made. [/QUOTE]

I thought that, too, but he was coming back to catch it and momentum carried him forward.

3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I hear some of the high profile defenders of ZW say that the Jets aren't developing him. How do they know this for sure? Maybe the coaching staff is giving him many hours of high-level coaching. I don't know the answer, but sometimes even the best coaching doesn't result in a positive outcome. Mike White has managed to improve his game substantially since training camp and I bet he's not getting as much coaching as ZW.

SOJAZ, stinkyB and westiedog1 like this.
  4. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Not saying zwilson will ever be a Namath, but there's a quote by Don Maynard when Namath first came to the Jets.
    He told Joe they were going to practice very throw after until Joe could throw them with his eyes closed.
    Paraphrasing: "I'm going to make you a better quarterback."
    That's the kind of mentoring zwilson needs if he's ever going to be a serviceable quarterback in the NFL.

5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He's the Dave Kingman of QBs - at least at this point in his career.

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

That quote is from an older Chris Simms video.

7. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i think Steve Young makes some good points. There are things Zach can do that you can't teach.

there are things Zach sucks at now that one would like to think can be taught or managed

To me, the biggest issue is he wasn't ready to step in day one to play MLF's system, and even now he is struggling with it.

I wouldn't cut him, i don't think he's "done", but they now have a big problem trying to figure out what to do with him

#47 chandler, Dec 22, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
    KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think they should design the offense around ZW's strengths and have him keep practicing MLF's system.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Thank you for this. This is a brutally honest and excellent film review from a very respectable guy. Missing guys like that won't last, he is absolutely right. Zach has to change the narrative for sure if he wants to be a player in this League. Even JT admitted he doesn't understand why he can hit difficult shots but is missing so many easy ones by extremely wide margin. Basically, at the end of the day, he is concluding the Zach Wilson experiment is about to come to an end. I am not there yet with Zach ending in NY due to his youth but as far as this year is concerned, yeah. JT also points out that Jets did have a few play designs where Zach is rolling out, but they can't really do it much more often that that.

I think at this point it is obvious, we need to get through the Jags game and find a way to win. Whether it is a few more rollouts, designed runs, etc... Home game in cold, bad weather with Florida team having to travel on a short week. This favors us as well. Get a W one way or another and hope Mike White is healed up for Seattle. Then Zach can spend offseason improving and trying to change the narrative with QB competition in 2023.

chandler likes this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The thing is, both the Jets and 49ers wanted Zach at #2 and #3 precisely because he is a perfect fit for this system. Fields, who at this point looks like should have been the choice, was a dual threat QB. Zach was a very accurate pocket passer with huge arm, who is a good athlete and can get some yards on the ground and make off platform throws. Zach was I believe top 3 in accuracy in entire FBS (I think #2 overall), broke Steve Young's record in BYU for completion %, and while not a dual threat, was able to get 10 TDs on the ground too. Even in some interviews pre draft he was asked what system is a perfect fir for him, and he mentioned 49ers one. This is THE system for Zach. This, on paper, is perfect fit for this offense and Zach.

As you said, he is still not ready, it's very clear. He needs to spend offseason getting ready, there is no other choice for him really. There isn't another team or system where he can come in and be a starter with the way he's played so far. Hopefully he can improve this offseason and do better next year - with this system and team.

chandler likes this.
  11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Why does Wilson suck again?

Borat likes this.
  12. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Ask Wilson. [​IMG]

Jets69 and stinkyB like this.
  13. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Since1969 likes this.
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

For a moment I thought Simms was back on his soap box blaming the Jets for Zach's shortcomings again.

15. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Or 10...

stinkyB and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  16. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

6:52 - "Over the last two years. I mean, you took the 50 best throws in football over the past two years, Zach Wilson is going to be in a few of those, with some of the throws he made"

Make it stop. Please.

Ralebird likes this.
  17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

He was the second pick. I'd be shocked if he wasn't on the list of the 50 best throws. Sometimes I wonder if guys like Chris Simms even believe what they're saying. Are his feet so dug in on Zach being good, that he's just stuck. Does he truly believe Zach is like this untapped gem?

Sam Darnold was probably on this list at some point. Same goes for Mark Sanchez and even Geno Smith. Who cares?

Statistically, he has been one of (if not the) worst QBs in football. A couple 'wow' throws doesn't negate that. Jets haven't handled him perfectly, but the lion share of the blame falls on Zach's shoulders. If not for his draft position and cap hit, he probably wouldn't be on the team anymore.

I'm pulling for him to improve over these next two years, but I haven't seen much that makes me think thats going to happen. Fingers crossed though.

HomeoftheJets and Jets79 like this.
  18. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Sabo, comments recently have not been flattering,,,see if I can find them again.

19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Quick Zach Wilson roundup thus far:

Not great. Misfired on a bunch of sure completions. Actively trying to progress through reads—probably to the point or counter production (too many pats/fakes). A number of dead plays (time running out). Still too worried about the mistake.…

— Robby Sabo (@RobbySabo) May 31, 2023