Head Coaches DO make a difference

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, May 29, 2023.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's nothing to suggest that Aaron Rodgers is likely to be a mentor to Zach. Favre was not a mentor to him and he was not a mentor to anybody at GB.

He's going to be focused on being the best QB he can be and very little else.

If the Jets are winning out of the gate there isn't going to be a problem. If something goes wrong, well...

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Huh?

"Part of my opportunity here is to be a great mentor to him, and to teach him fundamental stuff, to allow him to be around me and, through osmosis, just pick up some things that can help him in his career. That’s what happened to me, being around Brett [Favre]."

"I love him, I really do," Rodgers said. "I feel like part of my role here is to help get his confidence back."

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

through osmosis another way of saying teach yourself kid

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Still better than hanging out with Joe Flacco... :confused:

5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I disagree. There was maybe a game and a half where I felt like he showed any resemblance of what It took to be a professional QB In the NFL. Zach Is the embodiment of "WTF" at the QB position.

Miracles do happen though, so we shall see.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Zach still has elite physicality... it's the mental aspect that's been kerflunky.

He can fix that... maybe.

7. BrowningNagle

I think the physicality aspect was overrated with Wilson. I have never been wowed by his physical game on the field. People couldn't see him workout or anything because of the covid restrictions of his year and I think it helped him get overdrafted

Wilson has athleticism but I wouldn't call it elite by any means. He is NOT big and strong, which is something typically associated with elite physicality.

Above average arm strength, with a small frame and decent athleticism... that gets you drafted in the 3rd round in most years, and is more similar to Will Levis than CJ Stroud or Anthony Richardson for a 2023 comparison. (Although Levis has a nice frame, so maybe Desmond Ridder is better comp)

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

there are maybe 3-4 QBs who can physically make this play in the NFL (allen, mahomes, maybe herbert,maybe rodgers)

and the all 22 back view makes it even more impressive (not pictured here)

physically zach is top tier, mentally he's bottom tier and being a great QB is mostly mental. Mahomes isn't big and strong but he has an elite arm.

Mogriffjr and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

really? I think most NFL QBs could throw it 60 yards on a lob when they can plant their feet like that, it wasn't a dart, it was a rainbow

regardless that was a good day

IIMeanDeanII and Ralebird like this.
  10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Best way for Rodgers to help Zach get his confidence back is to keep his sorry ass nailed to the bench so he doesn't embarrass himself any further.

Jets69 and SOJAZ like this.
  11. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

no, you’re missing the point of the thread. The point is Zach Wilson is a friggin amazing stud, but we just need to find the absolute most perfect HC ever to unlock his abilities.

stinkyB and Jets69 like this.
  12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Nonsense, just about every starter in the league can throw it 60 yds when they plant and throw. There’s nothing elite about Zach physically. Any ability he has to run with the ball is negated by his diminutive frame. Zach has the tools to be a good QB just like 99.9% of all QB’s, but also like 99.9% of all NFL QB’s he can’t grasp the complexity of the game in real time. That’s why there’s only 10-15 QB’s in the league at any given time that are truly elite with hundreds being cycled in and out. The biggest problem with Zach is he doesn’t have the physicality to overcome his mental deficiencies

HomeoftheJets, Jets69 and SOJAZ like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

if that's your idea of a rainbow you have no clue. the back end shows better. he was also hopping backwards and didn't have is body in the throw. it was on a rope and split 2 defenders 60+ yards down the field. not to mention the scramble and redirect of the WR prior to that. physically not many QBs can make that play if you think they can your thoughts on QBs are quite skewed. there is a reason you rarely see anything like that outside of mahomes and allen. maybe herbert. as good as burrow and hurts are they wouldn't make that play. Rodgers probably still can, could in his heyday for sure. brees, brady, manning, rivers? nope and they were top for generations
    your obviously skewed. he wasn't planted and it was a 60 yard rope hitting a WR he redirected in stride.
    99.9% of QBs don't have the tools to do that. even the physically gifted ones.

NoodleArm and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I get your point... he's NOT Josh Allen.

I should have said his progress isn't being hindered by a lack of athleticism

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm glad that you hope he succeeds, but I guess in your mind that the game against the Titans his rookie season didn't count, nor did some other games where he led comebacks or made bigtime throws. Zach has not always looked like he was in over his head. It wasn't until they started fucking around with him that his play turned to shit.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I certainly agree with your comment about the video, but are you saying that Zach stupid, that he is incapable of learning an NFL offense? If so, IDK how you can draw that conclusion since the only offense he's been asked to try and learn/run has sucked.

17. NCJetsfan

nm

#37 NCJetsfan, May 30, 2023
    Last edited: May 30, 2023
  18. NCJetsfan

In that same game he made another throw (the left sideline route) that only 2-3 other QBs in the NFL can make.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Wilson throws from the 40 and completes the pass at around the 3 yard line. 58 yards, yes?

Brees from the 44 completed around the 2 at 7 seconds. 54 yards, yes?

It was a nice throw. It’s not some unheard of thing in the NFL. Maybe he can throw a couple yards further than some other QB’s but all of this talk about elite skill set was and always will be overblown.

Keep in mind, that’s Drew Brees, who had his arm strength questioned a lot during his career. There’s a ceiling for pure arm strength. Once you reach the threshold of good enough arm strength, you can be a great QB. Burrow is a great example.

#39 Jonathan_Vilma, May 30, 2023
    Last edited: May 31, 2023
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I can’t get too excited about regurgitating the same set of comments about Zach that by design can be no different than at year end, Same discussion points, same sample base, same pluses and minus and shortcomings, same reminder that he was not ready to be a starter once again. That ship has long sailed. As of now nothing whatsoever has changed for Zach that can add or provide any new revelations.
    This new year has nearly started yet, training camp has not started yet, the benefit of having a new OC, QC and a first ballot HOF to learn from helping him review film, how to practice, how to read defenses, how to train and above lo how to be a leader has yet to really begin. Time will tell.
    I for one think this discussion is a year or even two premature. For now is AR show and that’s all there is to it.
    Having said that, I fully expect to see a different Zach be it in OTAs or in pre season performance or in training with this new environment. More mature and more focused if there is a chance in hell that he can take it to the next level.
    By the time 2023 comes to an end God only knows what the first chapter in the saga for both AR and Wilson will look like. But I can’t wait. This is the most excited start for a Jets team in over the last 15 years.

NCJetsfan and Acad23 like this.