DeAndre Hopkins

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Jonathan_Vilma, May 26, 2023.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

[​IMG]

stinkyB, Acad23, ouchy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I love Corey and I'm fine with him. He's our WR1-b, behind Garrett. Corey is better than Lazar and if he stays healthy, will get more ops.

We already have one of the best WR rooms in Garrett/Corey/Lazar/Mims on the outside and Cupp/Hardman/Malik on the inside. I probably forgot someone.

Now add D-Hop to that and...wow. Maybe swap Mims out for Hopkins! Hopkins/Garrett/Corey/Lazar. Almost unstoppable.

So does anyone recall our game (late in the season) against the 2001 SB Favorite Ravens? Jets were not a strong team and were supposed to get killed. Ravens had the #1 defense (all time) in terms of yards and points allowed. Jets rolled in and ran with 5-wide nearly the entire game, and ALMOST won the game. We ran up so many yards, we ruined their bid for #1 all time defense (Giants tried that formula the next week in the playoffs and got curb stomped!). Reason I bring that up is can you imagine Jets going 4 and 5 wide nearly the entire game(s) with Hopkins/Garrett/Corey/Lazar/Mims plus take your pick of Cupp/Hardman/Breeeece? With Arod under center, we could have the all time best offense!

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with you except for the last part. There are some potential negatives, but as much as I believe in building a team from the draft, and acquiring players that fit your "culture", there's no realistic way to do that and have the best talent, you have to make some compromises and hope that they don't screw up the rest of your plan. Hopkins is a legitimate HR threat with a proven track record. If JD can get him for a reasonable price, and he believes Hopkins won't upset the team chemistry, then it's a good move.

BleedJetsGreen1981 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Touche.

5. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Cutting 2 receivers to acquire 1 with an recent injury history would be a huge gamble

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

JetFanInNE likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

That's where I think much of the fan base and perhaps the media are deluding themselves. The team is not "all in". They are taking a balanced approach. Of course they want to do as well as they can this season, but they aren't going to ignore the future or make moves that would put them into a bind in the future capwise or otherwise. I think the only reason that they went after OBJ was that he wanted to play with Rodgers and Rodgers with him, and they knew he wouldn't be that expensive at his age and coming off major injuries.

8. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Pros:
    Hopkins still has some of the best hands on the league

Cons:
    -Rumored to have a poor work ethic
    -To date, has been focused on money over all else
    -Very limited action the last 2 seasons

If JD isn’t concerned over the perceived cons, I’m loving the move…. If we don’t get him, there are enough Cons where I won’t see it as a failure or a miss.

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

OBJ got 15 million. Hopkins is more valuable. I'd say he signs for about 19 million a year, gets at least two years (plus more tacked on years to spread out the cap hit), and gets 20 million guaranteed. I'd rather have him than Davis everyday of the week. But he's not coming here, because he doesn't want to come here.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Hopkins is way better than OBJ. Totally different player but more valuable I would say, he’s perfect fit for this offense

PJ4Ever and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I think it’s so weird when I hear people say :

“We didn’t try and resign Moses last year” -as if Moses didn’t have a say in the matter

and also

“We wont get Hopkins bc he doesn’t want to come here” -as if money and other factors aren’t in play.

The world isn’t black and white, there are like 47 shades of gray.

Even the written word “grey” has more than 1 acceptable answer.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m sure there is more to it than that, JD needs to balance the books to bring Q in long term, and Andre has a thing or two to say about where he wants to play, and under what conditions.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We ain't getting DHop...

HomeoftheJets and NOVAJET like this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I guess I just disagree that we can’t both be “all-in” and make sound decisions that don’t mortgage our future. We’ve just traded a 2nd rounder and, most likely, a future 1st rounder for a soon to be 40 year old QB, we are absolutely in win-now mode or whatever title you want to place on it.

I’m not advocating for giving DHop a 5 year/80M contract but, again, I genuinely see no negatives to giving DHop a reasonable 1-2 year deal to coincide with our Rodgers window.

15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Of course, it was a very simplistic way to look at it but it checks out if we signed him to a 1 year deal.

16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Hard pass.. He threw heavy shade at this team prior to Rodgers signing, he costs too much for his age, and I think he Is overrated as an overall WR. Dude can't block to save his life.

I'd rather we just keep Corey Davis and let the current guys gel as Is. Fuck, D-Hop.

18. NCJetsfan

That's fine. We don't have to agree, and you may be right. The Jets may offer a reasonable deal to DHop, but I don't see how they can possibly do that with what they owe Rodgers, they have to pay Q, and they have 30 something FAs next season, and won't be able to fill 1 or 2 of those roster spots with cheap draft picks. I don't want a player that doesn't have a great work ethic and is a prima donna, and imo that's exactly what DHop is. I also don't want to see them lose other good players they like because of what they paid DHop. I like the team they have and don't think they need to bring in another older player like DHop. I'd rather see them give the players they've got a chance.

19. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Jets are fine at receiver. Other areas need help. Save some money for when teams make cuts.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

PFT saying Hopkins hasn’t officially been cut yet. They announced it Friday afternoon but NFL offices were closed for the holiday weekend.

They say technically someone could come in with an 11th hour trade offer