Alex Smith rips Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, May 18, 2023.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

At some point though we gotta recognize this is professional football and blaming the fundamental problems in Wilson's game on others is a waste of time. He is making a lot of money, he has access to countless private QB coaches, if he wants to improve he will take this benching seriously and work on it

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Clarity of vision = hate.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The bold is part of what I'm trying to point out: using stats, without the context of what was going on with the coaching/scheme, playcalling, injuries to the OL and skill players is wrong. You acknowledge the impact of coaching on one hand, and then virtually dismiss it one the other.

And holding up 3 veterans who are used to playing in the NFL and having had experience in adapting their play to fit the systems they found themselves isn't a fair comparison either. In short, Joe Douglas and Saleh promised - on national TV - that Zach wouldn't have to carry the Jets, that they would carry him. Instead we got the exact opposite - even Douglas admitted as much recently.

I would hope that all Jets fans, regardless of what they think about Zach, would hope he succeeds despite the naysayers. It's the best outcome for the team. But frankly, I think there's a contingent who would rather see him fail so they can be proven right about their assessment that he's bust.

JetFanInNE and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

They already have been proven right. In reality, there are a few here that refuse to accept that they were wrong in their assessment of Zach.

What about Zach's career makes you think he can suddenly become a good NFL QB? Since high school he's had one good season against little leaguers, and four bad seasons against normal teams.

IIMeanDeanII and Ralebird like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

I agree, but who says he isn't taking it seriously? Is there any legitimate reports or proof that he isn't? In fact, Douglas just came out and praised him for his hard work and good attitude, and further that Zach is thrilled to be playing behind Rodgers and having the chance to learn from his idol and a future HOF'er. So I really am continuing to be baffled at all the shade being dumped on a 23 year old kid who had far too high expectations placed on him without the promised support.

And if anyone truly has an open mind about this, they could look at the instances where Zach was criticized and then made improvements in those areas. Maybe not in all areas, and maybe not to the level needed yet, but that should show that he IS heeding criticism and advice, and is capable of improvement.

And if anyone thinks throwing Zach on the scrap heap and drafting another QB was/is the answer, what basis do you have for believing the Jets could accomplish that, having gone decades without ever having done that?

Finally, if after being able to work with and watch Rodgers, and work with Hackett who promises to be more adaptable in his schemes, Zach still can't perform as a future FQB ready to take over for Rodgers when that time comes, I'll be all for them looking for someone else. But at this point, I just think it's too soon to pull the plug on him.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

The bold is detached from fact.

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Not when were talking about the 2nd overall pick, or even a 1st round pick. The dude had the resume of a 4th round pick.

Please enlighten us to his past success'.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

4th round sounds right to me. That's usually where the unpolished hard throwers go.

IIMeanDeanII and ouchy like this.
  9. burf

burf Well-Known Member

As for what Smith said, what's on Saleh is that he hired the former OC, & chose not to replace Knapp after his death. Saleh just seemed to ignore the O, which is a big weakness, him being the HC of the whole team.
    The rest of the O problems were on the OC.
    Even the stuff Becton is currently whining about, can be traced to the OC.
    We saw how he used lots of players, & saw lots of player discontent, curiously, most was on the O.

So, hopefully now with a more seasoned OC, & staff, things will calm down, & we'll see a more professional O, on & off the field.

10. ColoradoContrails

If you didn't do your homework back before his draft, don't expect me to do it for you now.

11. ColoradoContrails

Amazingly, professionals with years of experience disagree with your ranking. That said, he was far from "unpolished". You don't get ranked 2nd in Comp % in the nation without some polish, regardless of who your competition is. Could he finished there playing a harder schedule? Maybe, maybe not, but given the right system, and playing behind a decent OL, he proved he can produce.

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You know I did, and you know I was the loudest voice saying Zach wasn't just a gamble - he was a stupid gamble.

#52 ouchy, May 22, 2023
    Last edited: May 23, 2023
    Br4d likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

Of course there are times when he hasn't taken the job seriously. Like when he has chucked it up for grabs without regard for the impact for the game and people's careers.

I have deep concerns if he really wants to be a good QB. Like does he want to improve or is he interested in things outside of football more? I think Saleh was trying to tell us that when he made those beach comments at the end of the year

--

as for your questions about if its too early to pull the plug, my thoughts are, that shouldn't factor into the discussion. Wilson is a backup QB. He should have to compete for the job like every depth piece on the roster. If the other guy is better and more prepared to be QB2, then you cut him.

If Wilson is the better, more prepared QB2, then keep him. HE decides where his career goes him from here. As it should be

Ralebird likes this.
  14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Eh that doesn’t mean he doesn’t take the job seriously because he threw up a pass into coverage. He just either can’t see the field or just has too much confidence in making throws he feels he can.

There’s nothing that has come out thinking he’s not serious. Him actually being a NFL QB and making the right reads/adjustments are what’s in question right now. Maybe he just doesn’t have IT.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  15. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

my guy Beck was on the coaching staff Year 1. And MLF was on the sidelines. what are you talking about. They coddled him all the way.

Year 2 they said hey it’s time to grow a little now. And he couldn’t put together a full game with a top defense, shutdown secondary and WRs, TEs and running backs to get tough yards.

Offense was on Zach! And you know why he tore his meniscus in preseason - because he threw a terrible pick in the series beforehand and why was trying to make up for it running in a preseason game. Ego. Mental toughness.

Stop it already. Mike White put up 300 yards and multiple TDs cold turkey and broken ribs. Offense was fine.

Wilson needs to be coddled to play QB. He has zero mental toughness to overcome adversity. He’ll never do it. It’s not his makeup. Sorry to break it to you.

MW was a clear example of mental toughness you saw firsthand. If AVT never gets hurt, MW probably definitely doesn’t break his ribs in Buffalo.

Wilson took a hit to his leg in Buffalo and he fell to the floor whining - my Buff friend texted me like why is he even out there, he looks like a little kid.

Then he comes in the 2 plays later. come on. Cutler did that stuff so many times in Chicago.

#55 BrooklynJetsFan, May 23, 2023
    Last edited: May 23, 2023
    Ralebird likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

Idk. Sometimes you dont see the field, but there were throws Wilson was making, see the field or not, that were just plain reckless. And there's no way in hell he was ever told to run backwards like he routinely did, the off platform stuff is bullshit. IMO that's a guy just doing what he wants.

I compare him to Sanchez, a guy who was fundamentally sound in the pocket, eventually two feet on the ground, stepping into throws, mature beyond his years but an interception problem. OK thats a guy who wanted it but didn't have it. That's not what we've seen from Wilson.

Hence why a coach would've never said Sanchez needed to take some time away at the beach and decide if this is what he wants. Everyone already knew he wanted it

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Comparing Wilson to Sanchez?

That's hilarious.

18. BrowningNagle

What's hilarious about it? Both high draft pick busts from my favorite team. I dont find that funny

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

My life is exponentially better now that I refuse to engage in ZW conversations on this board.

I highly encourage everyone here to adopt that mindset.

JetFanInNE, cval and stinkyB like this.
  20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think you need some more shrooms...

KY Jets Fan likes this.