Carl Lawson deal reworked - created $12.7 in cap

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, May 18, 2023.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I wanted Hopkins from the get go. I just don't know how we will be able to absorb his contract considering we gotta pay Rodgers and Q.

nycarl, KY Jets Fan and ouchy like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The most obvious move would be to cut Corey Davis. That would free up about 10.5M this year and DHop is only due roughly 19M in 2023 and 14M in 2024 so it's not like his contract is ridiculous.

Adding DHop would not be easy, but I think there are some moves that they could make to make it work. Adding DHop will ultimately depend on the Rodgers restructure though and how that moves that money around.

All I'm saying is, if it's possible to add DHop and it doesn't cripple our cap situation for more than a year or two, I don't know how you don't explore it and try to get him.

ColoradoContrails, Brook! and Jets79 like this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Hopkins has a 30 million dollar cap hit this year, 27 next year, and has 22 million guaranteed divided over the next two years. Maybe if we released Davis and didn't sign Lazard it would have been an outside possibility.

But he's also 31, has missed 6 or more games each of the last two seasons, and would require a 2nd rounder in a trade.

Brook! likes this.
  4. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

that is is cap hit to the cards. in a trade the new team is responsible for $19.5 of that $30. and he has zero guaranteed dollars left in his deal.

https://overthecap.com/player/deandre-hopkins/2208

having said that, we dont need him. garrett wilson is a star player that is going to ascend to the top tier of receivers this season.

KingRoach likes this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

He has no guaranteed salary left. He has 22 million in guaranteed money, prorated out at 11 million a year for 23 & 24, locked into option, signing, and restructure deals.

Even if we could get the Cards to eat the 2023 signing bonus, he'd still cost around 25 million this season.

6. All Gas No Shake

that’s not how this works

the bonuses have already been paid so the cards have to eat that dead money. he has no guaranteed money remaining in any form.

over the cap has a built in calculator. select the June 1st trade option for Hopkins and it’ll show you how much the cards and his new team are responsible for

Lon Chaney, KY Jets Fan and KingRoach like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I could see Hopkins and GW combining for 2900 of Rodgers's 5000 yards this season.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That's not accurate. Prorated mean distributed over future years. He gets 7 million for 2023-24 for restructuring his contract, another 11 million signing bonus, and another 4.5 million in options. They are not already paid. It makes no difference what the over the cap calculator says because these are numbers that are worked out in a trade. If we wanted Arizona to pay all his prorated money they would ask for a 1st rounder, plus. Their not going to trade the guy and absorb a 22 million dollar dead cap hit.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand why you like him, but he's 30 and his body is evidently breaking down. He has only played in 19 games over the last 2 seasons. IMO he would take snaps away from Wilson and Hardman. Five years ago, I would have said yes, definitely, but not now. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. All Gas No Shake

Hopkins was paid a $27.5 mill signing bonus in 2020 and a $9 mill option bonus in 2021. All bonuses have been paid.

Signing/option bonuses are prorated over the length of the deal for cap purposes only. The cards are already on the hook for that money.

ouchy, Lon Chaney and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't think anyone we would bring in for the next few years would take away snaps from GW. It feels like the staff views him as their WR1 going forward, as they should. I do agree though that he'd take away snaps from Lazard, Hardman, and Mims (I think CD would get cut or traded in this scenario) but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Also, he missed the first 6 games of last year due to suspension and only missed 2 due to injury. He was pretty banged up in 2021 with a nagging hamstring and then tore his MCL in December, so I'm not saying he's Mr. Reliable when it comes to injuries, but I'm not overly concerned about them.

The more I hear DHop speak in the press though, the more unlikely it seems that a trade to the Jets occurs so this is all probably a moot point.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Hopkins was never very fast to begin with, he always won on catch radius and his huge hands.

I think he’s pretty much shot to be honest. He hit the receiver cliff and started roiding. But even with that in mind, we’re in on a two year run so I’d take a crack at him.

The receiver room is very thin.

13. NCJetsfan

I'm curious...Why was he suspended for 6 games?

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

let me google that for you

"On May 2, 2022, the NFL announced that Hopkins would be suspended for the first six games of the season for a violation of the league's performance-enhancing drugs policy."
    https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-suspen...re-hopkins-six-games-for-violating-ped-policy

I charge $.25 for every google search as your personal librarian

Pepsiguy5, sozopol and abyzmul like this.
  15. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I would take DHop in a heartbeat. If GW goes down for any amount of time, the WR group is pedestrian at best.

Dump CD and possibly trade Mims for a late pick. That's 13 million right there.

Wilson
    DHop
    Lazard
    Hardman
    Cobbs
    Rookie/2nd year player

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

what a corps that is

Lon Chaney likes this.
  17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Exactly. And I fully get there's probably more of a pressing need at OLB, but damn, that would be some lineup to run out there.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Yep, you are correct. My mistake.

NCJetsfan and All Gas No Shake like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Thank you for the answer.

Do you want that Venmo'd to you or just drop a quarter in an envelope and use snail mail? ;):p

Pepsiguy5 and BrowningNagle like this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Although I would really prefer they traded for Davante Adams. How's that for scorched Earth?

NOVAJET likes this.