We now need to go out and get a capable backup Qb

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets4848, Apr 28, 2023.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

You’re right and wrong. The OL will be fine if they stay healthy. But ZW is the #2 this year. They’re doing that because the #2 works with the team, is involved in week to week strategy meetings, and practices during the week. The #3 QB gets little to no time working with the team. The #3 QB runs the scout team with the practice squad players and get very little to no development work with the 1st and 2nd team. They signed Boyle because he already knows Hackett’s playbook, so they can afford to have him run the scout team knowing he won’t need too much work with Hackett’s playbook. If Rodgers gets hurt then Boyle will likely become the #1 and Zach stays #2. But they’re keeping Zach at 2 because it’s the only place he can be to actually learn and develop. I agree with you he doesn’t deserve to be #2, and being so he’s hurting our team because we’ll never convince a legit veteran to come and run the scout team. Hence, Tim Boyle

Cman68, KingRoach, Frenbar and 2 others like this.
  2. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I agree with you on 1. With regards to 2, I think they're gonna wait and see how Zack does during training camp and pre-season games. I think roster spots are going to be at a premium for the Jets this year and barring Wilson completely shitting the bed during training camp and pre-season games, I think Wilson will end up the backup and Boyle ends up on the practice squad (with the ability to call him quickly in the event of an injury). Boyle is a vet, so they should be able to move him back and forth without running him through waivers and his loyalty to Hackett would mean that he would likely stick around and not look for another opportunity. I don't believe Rodgers misses very many games (and last year he played with a broken finger), so, hopefully backup QB is pretty irrelevant, but this is the Jets who always seem to have the very worst luck.

I think they're hoping that they can fix Zach Wilson and that he can take over when Rodgers retires.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The priorities are clearly building the best 52 man roster both offensively and defensively around AR, provide him with protection depth on the line and extra weapons on offense in case of injuries. Adding a QB at this point in the unlikely event something happens to AR is not best use of resources. If the QB room as constituted stumbles in preseason then replace one of the existing ones. This team is built around AR for the near term, no matter what back up you put in there it will be a massive drop in success.

NCJetsfan, blackssmagic and KingRoach like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's kind of irrelevant at his age and with the current status of the OL.

Vinny was very durable until the Achilles. Sometimes shit happens.

One of the Jets memories firmly etched in my mind is the look on Parcell's face when he realized Vinny was gone for the season. The ashen gray was something I'd never seen from him before.

onefanjet likes this.
  5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I doubt Wilson has a future here. He showed no improvement in year 2. Allen did, Lawrence did. Burrow and Herbert showed they had the "it" factor in year 1. Now Wilson is going stand on the sidelines for the next 2 years while seeing no meaningful playing time unless Rodgers gets hurt. He also lost the locker-room last year after that horrible performance at NE when he didn't take responsibility for the loss. Remember his teammates wearing Mike White T-shirts.

Jets79, Ralebird and tomdeb like this.
  6. Br4d

ZW does not have the skills/mental makeup to play in a highly complex passing offense. He needs simplicity where his strengths (arm, affinity for the vertical game) are what matters and his weaknesses (field vision, touch, accuracy) are less important.

Think what would work for Neil Lomax? That'll tell you what is likely to work for Zach Wilson.

7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The jets/Douglas keep trying to convince themselves of this dream that Zach will sit two years behind Rodgers, and then all of sudden be a star in 2025 . :D
    THAT would of course require the jets to sign Zach to a new contract then, which I hope they are not stupid enough to do.

stinkyB and GREG like this.
  8. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Well, in all fairness, he had screwed up mechanics and a terrible Oline because it was decimated by injury. The other odd thing is that he doesn't look like a typical QB bust - he's not throwing ints and pick 6s all over the place and at times he went a series of games without throwing any ints. His biggest issues seemed to be mechanical problems and immaturity. Clearly they're hoping they can fix him. I guess we'll see.

blackssmagic likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I laughed when Saleh said Zach needs a "reset"... as if time away from starting was gonna magically fix what's wrong.

Maybe Hackett can wring some goodness out of Zach... but it won't be anytime soon

There's bigger fish to fry... and Zach has been back-burnered.

stinkyB likes this.
  10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

it was a nice was way of saying he sucks and is headed to the bench...

Positive Vibes Only!

ouchy and Acad23 like this.
  11. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

I remember that look exactly as well…

Br4d likes this.
  12. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, Wilson has flaws you can't teach away. Much like a Sanchez or Darnold. Other than being friends with Aaron Rodgers, I can't think of anything Boyle brings to the table.

We're going for SB or broke...

In 1-2 years when Rodgers leaves, we're gonna be smack where we've been as Jets fans for the last 50 years...

14 qb's were drafted this year, there were a bunch of guys after pick 120 that I like more than Wilson;

Fresno State's Jake Haener (No. 127, Saints) was the first quarterback to come off the board Saturday, followed by Georgia’s Stetson Bennett (No. 128, Rams), Purdue’s Aidan O’Connell (No. 135, Raiders), Houston’s Clayton Tune (No. 139, Cardinals), UCLA’s Dorian Thompson-Robinson (No. 140, Browns)

papapump and Br4d like this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I think the only thing the team is convinced about Wilson is that he is theirs to keep and pay for the next two seasons because no other team wants to. There's no reason to bash the guy so they continue to "support" him by what they say. This is called "damning with faint praise." Of course the possibility does exist (as a couple of guys remind us almost daily) that he will be reborn by a bolt of eureka lightning that will change the Jets for the next decade.

14. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

As a Jets fan I'm going to step up and happily volunteer to get smoked by a bolt of eureka lightning. Hopefully it hits Wilson right between the eyes.

I'd gladly read about how 21 and 22 were part of the plan all along for the next decade if the Jets are winning dramatic playoff games.

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

A lot of us say if Aaron goes down, we're f'ed. Boyle aint gonna lead the team to the POs. Zack sucks. We're royally screwed.

I'd just add that the only small glimmer of possible hope if AR goes down, is Zack Wilson comes in and plays like a 2nd overall selection should play in his 3rd year, after sitting behind one of the best to play the game for 1/2 a season.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

i'd take a flyer on Wentz. no more BS, no more coddling. Wilson, Wentz & Boyle battle it out for the no. 2 job and if you lose you get cut

papapump likes this.
  17. Br4d

When Vinny started his drop back on that play the field was green and the stadium was full of color. 10 seconds later everything was ashen gray and the cameras were focusing on Parcells shortly thereafter to confirm the fact.

18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

This is a 100% dead honest post- I hope somewhere quietly behind the scenes Rodgers takes Wilson to an ayahuasca or psilocybin experience. Behind all the stereotypes, people have had unbelievable personal breakthroughs. Zach is a kid who has had little to no meaningful adversity. He’s never had to struggle or want for anything in his life. He’s clearly got an ego given how he speaks and handles the press, and clearly from the way players respond to him. This has been his first real reality check and he’s clearly overwhelmed. A psychedelic experience’s first response most often is the loss of ego. It’s usually why you hear about people freaking out on them. It’s an intense realization that the world doesn’t revolve around you, and that you are part of something much bigger and much more connected than you realize. But with Rodgers and capable guides they can work him through that. I think it could do wonders for him. I realize there’s people who disagree and I respect that.

KingRoach likes this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

20. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Your post is ridiculous. Zach has been horrible in NY. But your claims are outrageous, unless you are a family friend. You have some serious insight regarding his formative years. What percentage of kids go on to become D1 college athletes? What percentage go on to become professional players? And you claim that he didn’t have to put in any work for that. That that was just given to him. It wasn’t a struggle at all. Wow . Does anyone think before they write anymore?