Quinnen wants new contract before offseason programs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Jan 9, 2023.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

And also worth a boatload of draft picks, one of which could be used to select the next QW in the draft, just like QW was the next LW, who was the next SR, who was the next MW. It’s so easy to select a high caliber DT in the draft there’s just zero reason in my opinion to waste money on one unless it’s a short contract filling the last piece needed on the team (the way Suh and countless other DT’s spent their careers). It comes down to this, would you rather have QW for one year at 10m plus 2+ 1st round picks (use one to draft a DT, use the other to bolster other areas), or would you rather make QW one of the highest paid DT’s in history?

2. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I agree with everything except Maye. I think you're way off here. He wanted a long term deal before the 2021 season. JD didn't cave. He only wound up in 6 games that season because he got hurt, again.

Then he had the gun incident in the offseason. He only played in 10 games last season with a big fat goose egg in the following impact categories: ints, fr, sacks, tfl, qb hits and had 1 ff and 2 pd.

Simply put, this was a good move by the FO.

#182 Lon Chaney, May 20, 2023
    Last edited: May 21, 2023
    Nyjets4eva likes this.
  3. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i generally agree with this stance but Q is an elite pass rusher ... you pay those kind of guys

Nyjets4eva and KingRoach like this.
  4. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I wanted to ponder this for a week or two before weighing in. Also wanted to see how the Rodgers situation landed. Question, does anyone have any ideas as to how much the Rodgers contract is going to end up being? It simply can't be north of $50 mil per. That would be prohibitive.

On that note, I'm in the camp of letting him play out the 5th year. As it stands now, he's only performed at an elite level for one season. This is a notoriously COMMON scenario around the league. Player plays ONE good year, gets paid, then goes back to average or worse drops off completely. Yes, it may end up costing us a bit more as the salary goes up next year but that is going to be a moderate amount of money compared to if we drop $100+ mill and he goes back to playing like he did a year or two ago.

Also, I get it. Q wants paid... However, you have to have your head completely under a rock not to appreciate the team's standpoint. All I hope for is that Q doesn't get "butt hurt" at having to play for a "paltry" $9.5 this year. :rolleyes:

ColoradoContrails and Nyjets4eva like this.
  5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Rodgers’s contract is $108mm for 2 years. We can talk about caps and bonuses and void years etc etc… but at the end of the day, unless he voluntarily takes a pay cut, AR is making $108mm for 2 years of football.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

...until his contract is reworked.

7. KingRoach

I believe I addressed a voluntary pay cut as well as salary being different from salary cap in the original post.

8. Ralebird

No. The OP referred only to Williams, not Rodgers at all.

9. KingRoach

Ok

10. Ralebird

The original post was post number one; that's how these things work. You were the original poster back in January.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

12. KingRoach

When you replied to my comment, I mistakingly thought you were replying to my comment. My mistake.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Q needs to be re-signed. I been worried they won’t get it done, but hope I’m wrong on that.

Really need to start re-signing good players during their 4th year. Price tags only get higher.

#193 BacktoQueens, May 30, 2023
    Last edited: May 31, 2023
    BrowningNagle and Jets79 like this.
  14. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

for a single year

15. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

reminder... SO MANY here wanted to pay #33.... woulda been a disaster

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

DT is different than any other position on the defense. DT's will be tested and test the opposition on the majority of plays. DT's that are successful pass rushers are few and far between due to the fact that if they're a good pass rusher they're also doubled on most passing downs.

If you have a really good one you pay them a disproportionate amount of the cap to keep them around. I'd argue that Q is a really good DT and probably worth paying a disproportionate amount of the cap to keep around.

However I can see the argument for not doing that. In theory we control Q for 4 years - the option year, tag1, tag 2 and tag 3. The total cost of the first 3 years is probably similar to the first 3 years of a $100M/4 year deal. The 4th year will take the cost out of range of the deal but we don't know where the cap will be at that point either. Also we're not locked in the way a term contract locks us in. If Q gets hurt or drops some production we're not stuck with the latter part of the deal.

Q obviously wants a 4 year deal not longer, because he wants to sign another contract at that end of the deal and he wants to do that when he is 28, not 29. Probably the smart move is just to give him that deal. Even if this wasn't the NY/NJ media market the PR effects of holding Q hostage for 4 years would probably blow up in the Jets faces.

17. Ralebird

That's not very "original."

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Smart move is give him the deal…sure you can force him to play on the 5th year option then franchise him and then again…but that comes at the cost of building the team culture…hardly ever works…only one I can think of working out was probably Kirk Cousins when Washington kept franchising him…but it’s different for a QB even if only because the franchise amount is so crazy high, and the player was apparently willing to do it. Most aren’t.

We have had such bad drafting around here, and even on the few we hit on, we’ve not given out second contracts (was Mo Wilkerson really the last one??)…if you claim to be a team that’s going to “build through the draft”, then you (a) have to actually draft well, and then (b) keep those good players. Q was one of the few Mac picks that has turned out to be very good…we saw his impact, it’s a position that doesn’t have all that many impact players, so yeah, sign the man.

Br4d likes this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

And Cousins is a kind of bad comp because he was never that good a QB. He was acceptable but never a huge plus.

Q is a very good DT, probably one of the top 5 in the NFL. Those guys don't grow on trees.

Jets79 likes this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

just saw Ed Oliver got a new deal...another DT signs...

let's lock up Q!!

BacktoQueens and Burnz like this.