Quinnen wants new contract before offseason programs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Jan 9, 2023.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

It’s not a babysitter’s club. Q wants to be paid like he’s elite, he better act elite. That means being in shape and ready to go year round. You think Aaron Donald gets fat? I get that Q wants his money, but the Jets have no reason to sign Q right now. At the very least they can franchise and sign him next season. If there’s anything on the Jets to sign him now it’s just that it’d be an incredibly kind gesture in a world of business decisions, in which case the Jets would be receiving a discount. Clearly Q is not offering a discount. So we gotta pay an extra 15m to him this year just to make sure he’s in camp not getting fat? If that’s the case then it’s even more reason not to sign him. But I don’t think that’s who he is, do you? I think he’s a great DT. I also think DT is one of the easiest positions to hit in the draft and keep the overall positional cost down. And if we find that we’re a DT away from greatness, there’s always guys like Suh hitting the market and filling the role on short term deals. We will have tons of big contracts coming up at positions that do require big money to keep around. I don’t think it’s wise to have that money tied up in a DT who isn’t named Aaron Donald.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Finding a top 3-4 defensive tackle that changes a game is very difficult to find.

Extending players earlier on is what good organizations do. The players then feel more inclined to working with the club to move their money around.

Getting into disputes with their best players because the organization refuses to extend them is what the Jets have done since Revis and it’s been terrible. Maybe we try a different approach here.

3. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

It's like a 25-year old teenager. Don't be surprised if he becomes another Wilkerson once he gets his $$$

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its not an extra 15 million. He'll get the same contract now, and likely more later. Its about reducing future cap hits and securing a top player. Here is the logic:

-We are currently hamstrung by the cap next year, in a BIG way.
    -Even FTing Quinnen will count too much against it. (19 million)
    -A new contract now can spread that money out and take his cap burden off of next year.
    -We give the money we just saved from Lawson to Q this year, and then his cap hit next year wont cripple our roster.
    -New contract we pay Q 15 million, or less, next year. Franchise tag we pay Quinnen 19 million next year.

Franchising Quinnen almost guarantees we wont be keeping him long term.

We gotta weigh the bad with the good with eyes on the future. Right now its mostly good to get him signed long term.

Right now its being reported he's looking for 25 million a year with incentives that could take it as high as 30. The market has him at 25 million. The incentives do it take it a little beyond, and should be performance based. But we have to consider with the cap increase the market for DTs will likely increase next offseason. That will cost even more money.

It all comes down to is he part of our long term roster or not?

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

solid rant

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Rams signed Aaron Donald in the summer entering his 5th year and he was in the neighborhood of the sack record.

The Jets would be utter morons to let this linger for too long.

Mogriffjr and abyzmul like this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This scenario just played out with Lamar and he stayed long term once Lamar backed off fully guaranteed deal and became reasonable. If Q is reasonable, he will be extended. If he thinks he needs to be paid close to Donald, then he will play out his contract and will get tagged, then maybe he will come to his senses next year like Lamar did. I personally think he will get extended this offseason for 25 per.

ouchy likes this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Could be. Could also be that it's just part of the accepted negotiation process. I doubt that anyone actually involved is concerned anywhere near as much as some fans.

KingRoach likes this.
  9. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

You’re claiming a reduction of future cap hit without raising his current cost. Please explain your math.

#169 NJJets, May 19, 2023
    Last edited: May 19, 2023
  10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

To clarify, I'm saying it will raise his current cost, which will reduce his future cost. A new contract for Q with a 10 million signing bonus, that we just got from Lawson's restructure, to apply to this seasons cap. That way we can offer him a 4 year deal and spread the money out over 5 years. He wont want it all back loaded so we give him a chunk this year and then back load the 2024 hit.

This will help make Quinnen happy and just as important, it will free up 10 million for next season.

This is a reality check, not just for you NJ, but all TGG.

Most fans here are believing we have a two year window for Rodgers to take us to the post season. But as it stands our cap is so messed up next year that its really only a one year window. Having to pay Q even the 20 million franchise tag would be a crippling hit to 2024.

We've already inked major restructures for Conklin, Uzomah, DJ Reed, Thomas, Mosley, and Lawson. Not to mention the Rodgers restructure to make the trade get under this years cap. That's great for this season, were all in, but it creates a lot of guaranteed money on the 2024 book. Were already some 45 million over the 2024 cap from just the 39 contracts that carry over. We cant afford to add 20 million for Quinnen on the FT and go 65 million over on just 40 contracts. We'd have to cut starters while scampering to sign bottom of the barrel FAs to fill out the team.

Part of giving Quinnen a deal now, and giving him the money we just got from Lawson, is to manage next years cap. Like this whole offseason, a lot comes down to what Aaron Rodgers decides to do. He is currently guaranteed 58 million next year, and has a cap hit of 100 million in 2024. So with a restructure he can free up enough space to at least get us close to even, if he chooses to spread his contract out, and mostly his guaranteed money, beyond 2024.

But even getting the cap back to even doesn't fill out next years roster without doing more financial gymnastics on a cap that is already in a pretzel. If this is a 2 year run we got to think of every way we can to save money next year. We don't just need Rodgers to restructure - we need a major restructure with a multi year commitment beyond this season. Also, the restructure would almost certainly involve paying him more money this year. Is that the real reason we restructured Lawson?

Then there's the darker side, which has to be mentioned because no matter what they say to the press, it still exists - and will exist until it happens.

Rodgers could decide, "I want the 100 million in 2024. Pay me or release me (and pay the 58 million guaranteed). That would be like a bomb hitting our roster. Even an average restructure would still have us shackled. Were told the restructure is coming but it hasn't happened and were being held hostage by the delay - with Q being the first casualty. Once again this offseason were in limbo because we've given one player immense power. Right now Aaron Rodgers has almost complete control of our teams fate, which is what he loves. That's the smile you see on his face. He is currently the alpha in our entire organization, with his finger over the self destruct button. And as long as he doesn't restructure he will continue to get whatever he wants. Rodgers contract restructure is the most important deal in Jetland.

That is, assuming we don't win the Superbowl this year. In which case, it will have been worth it.

#171 ouchy, May 19, 2023
    Last edited: May 19, 2023
  12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Seems these are how young athletes in social media era behave. Also Mo was very good when he got his contract but he was not TOP 3 good.

Q or any athlete can go backwards, like Jamal did. But I am hopeful he keeps growing to be the best at this position.

13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Unused salary cap is carried on to the following year making your entire post meaningless.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

There are multiple points in my post that make your response meaningless and unnecessary.

15. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Careful about voicing this opinion around here. It's "asinine."

ouchy likes this.
  16. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Thank you for your detailed response, I definitely see your side of it and I appreciate the time you took. I don’t propose to know more than you about the cap, I just overall do not advocate for paying DT’s a huge 2nd contract. A solid DT unit is plenty, and you can shoot for a good one in the draft every few years.

ouchy likes this.
  17. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

There may have been other points but the essay was incredibly long.

There are many reasons to sign Q this off-season but cap relief isn’t one of them.

Here’s the point you repeated over and over again.

*Edited to be nicer

#177 KingRoach, May 20, 2023
    Last edited: May 20, 2023
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Cap relief is absolutely one of the reasons to sign him now. You don't save future money by putting off contracts. The market for DTs could reset next year which would cost us more money. Especially if he's an all pro again, in which case he may become the most expensive DT in the league. Its always better to get contracts done sooner than later, unless you feel he is a risk for a major injury. Or if you feel we don't need a top player long term, which has been the Jet way.

sozopol likes this.
  19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Seemed to work out well with Addams and Maye.

And completely backfired when they extended MO.

Robbie seems like a wash IMO.

These were the most recent examples I could think of. I'm sure I'm missing some.

The worst non resigning IMO was James Farrior. What a terrible move. Honorable mention Demario Davis but he wasn't an allpro calibre player until after he left.

ouchy likes this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

But look at the records for these seasons. Did it really work out that well?

It worked out with Adams because his head exploded and Seattle thought he was their missing piece. It didn't really work out with Maye, who was comparatively cheap and we could have used him last season (and this season). Robbie wasn't a pro bowler but also wasn't asking for that much. He probably would have helped Sam some, but no big loss.

Farrior was always hurt with us so it was understandable we let him go. I completely agree on Davis, who was an impact player that you could tell was getting better and better. He's one of our biggest losses the last decade.

Lon Chaney likes this.