Carl Lawson deal reworked - created $12.7 in cap

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, May 18, 2023.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Have to imagine this means we added a void year or two on the back-end of Lawson's deal.

Seems like a great move but I need to see the ripple effect of this first before I jump for joy. On the surface though, freeing up ~13M dollars this year on top of the ~6M we currently have would put us around 19M. DHop trade imminent??

3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

So does this mean he's going to have cap hits for a couple years after leaving as a FA in the offseason?

Either way, seems like a no brainer for a team trying to win it all.

4. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

Smells like a trade is imminent?

I can't see why they would do this for Rodgers. Rodgers would want more weapons for this season.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

That was my first thought as well. The NFLPA doesn't take to kindly to players leaving money on the table.

However, everything I'm currently reading is calling this a pay cut, so it's possible he agreed to a "lesser" deal for more guaranteed money.

Prior to this, his cap hit was 15M this season but none of that was guaranteed. Now his cap hit is 9M but 8M of that is fully guaranteed with 3M more in possible incentives.

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It's most likely so they can re-structure Rodgers' contract to make next year's cap hit more manageable.

I've seen a lot of people speculating this is for Q but I doubt that's the case as his extension wouldn't kick in until next year. Unless they wanted to do something involving a signing bonus for him this year that might reduce the cap hits down the line?

Or...they wanna trade for DHop... :D

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

Devonte Adams please. Ha.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'd take either one in a heartbeat.

GW, Davante/DHop, Lazard, CD, Hardman? Now we're talking.

9. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Guaranteed money is always better than not. One-in-the-hand and all that.

Hopefully a Q extension is in the works.

twown, stinkyB and Jets79 like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

What's the deal with Mosely's $21M?

11. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

Qs extension would begin next year. I doubt this move was made for that.

KingRoach and KY Jets Fan like this.
  12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I would assume they are going to just take some of Rodgers cap next year and break it into this year when its reworked. I also think the Jets are are content with the current WR room, maybe CD gets reworked to free up more this year, but they already have a bunch of weapons on O if you include the TEs + RBs.

Freeing up '23 cap for Rodgers restructure will in return free up cap in '24 for Q

13. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Q's said that he wants a new contract before TC. If there's space to keep him happy/motivated and in green for a long time, I wouldn't see why this would fit into JD's plans.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Makes sense for all involved. Jets keep a good player for fair money and gain cap space, Lawson gets a guaranteed $8 mil. I would assume this means Rodgers’ cap hit is about to go up but wish it meant Q was getting extended instead.

RochesterJet and KY Jets Fan like this.
  15. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

He wants an extension. The extension would kick in next year. Wouldn't affect this year.

nycarl, KY Jets Fan and NoodleArm like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yea this is for Rodgers

17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I believe Corey Davis has a very similar contract to Carl Lawson, I wonder if they do something similar for him.

I like that the Jets are keeping these solid players around, and potentially giving themselves chances to get some compensatory picks when they walk

IDFjet and KY Jets Fan like this.
  18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Mosley's already had 2 void years added on the back end of his contract (2025 & 2026).

We could cut him post-June 1st and recoup about 17M but you're only saving about 6.5M if you cut him prior to that. However, I think it's highly unlikely he's not on the roster in 2023. Next season is where I could see us moving on from Mosley if he declines heavily this season. Could save 11M as a pre-June 1st cut and 17M as a post-June 1st cut.

Pepsiguy5, Cman68 and ouchy like this.
  19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If they needed to free up some more space for whatever reason, this seems like the best idea as you're 100% correct.

CD is currently on the books for ~11M for '23 but none of that is guaranteed. I wonder if he'd be wiling to go down to the 6-7M figure if that contract became fully guaranteed with 1-2M in incentives? Definitely worth exploring if we want to reduce Rodgers' '24 cap hit as much as we possibly can.

20. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'd have to imagine this is for Rodgers' restructure and the QW extension. I'd be shocked if a big trade was in the works. I feel like they need to get space for the aforementioned moves before anything else. And I would guess this isn't the last restructure. If they want Corey Davis in 2023, he's a logical choice next
    This does affirm Lawson will be back, which I am excited about. Let's see if another year removed from that gruesome injury actually does lead to some sort of breakout from him and picking up right where he seemed to be leaving off in the 21' offseason