Quinnen wants new contract before offseason programs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Jan 9, 2023.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Why did they need to take care of this months ago? Why do they need to take care of it now? Q can be disgruntled all he wants. He’s under contract, and if we want we can franchise him next year too. Both years at significantly less than he’s asking.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This topic was posted Jan. 9th. Its not like Q didn't give the FO plenty of time.

The holdup was our QB situation, and knowing that we were going to be paying one a top salary on a limited cap, which kept us from being able to honestly negotiate with Q. Lets look where we are:

ATM we don't have the future cap space to pay Q.
    We wont have the money until Rodgers renegotiates his contract.
    Its been reported for weeks that we are working on new contract for Rodgers, but it still hasn't gotten done.
    This has caused us to not honor Q's request of a new contract before offseason workouts.
    The reason Q is requesting this is he doesn't want to be franchise tagged, or risk injury in a contract year.

This raises intangible questions like:

1. Doesn't Q want to win enough to sacrifice his new contract until next year. Other Jet players have already renegotiated their contracts to push more money into the future to accommodate Rodgers. But this is a brand new contract so its a lot different security wise. Q wants us to show commitment so he doesn't have to worry about the FT or an injury in a contract year. Not getting a new contract now could literally end up costing him tens of millions of dollars. I get everyone wants our players to sacrifice for the team but this is serious business for a players future right here - our best players future.

2. Is Q worth the money? I see some posters saying Q only had one good season. That's not really true. He was great in '21 as well, and got passed over. Last year he was an all pro. Aaron Donald or Dexter Lawrence weren't all pros last year. Q is currently one of the two best IDLs in the entire league, and he's only 25. I doubt he is asking for 30 million a year but he is likely asking for either a large signing bonus or a lot of guaranteed money. What he's asking is likely market value. But we don't have the money to pay him a fair contract because of Aaron Rodgers' contract, and our overall cap situation as a whole.

The hard and scary truths:

1. The truth is we don't have enough money to do everything we are going for. This is a one season all in push playoff push. There are a few ways to make it work but its borrowing so heavily against the future.

2. We need Quinnen to accept that he is going to be franchise tagged, and hope he doesn't have a serious injury. In other words, he has to bite the bullet and hope this doesn't cost him big bucks. It is a bad look for JD, which will once again reverberate in the locker room. He has shown zero loyalty to anyone he didn't sign, and unreasonable loyalty to ones he did. Q holding out isn't what we need to worry about. Q becoming a distraction in the locker room is much more concerning. He is a leader and you don't win with unhappy leaders.
    So, what will happen here?

3. There is a lot of talk about the new Rodgers contract. But not a lot of action yet. In reality pushing a lot of money to 2025 and beyond isn't a good thing for Rodgers. He'll want out of here after this season, or maybe after 2024. Pushing guaranteed money into 2025 wont suite him very well if he wants to retire. But the worst part is, with his current contact he has all the power over our team. We don't just want a restructure, our future depends on it. Without a major restructure our roster will dissolve next year. Rodgers is a snake who loves having power over the FO, and his word isn't very good. How much desire does he really have to give up that power before the season?
    So, what will happen here?

IMO we should cut Lawson right now, and give Q a new contract this season that contains Lawson's money. This will make him happy and lighten his hit in future years. Who do you want sacrificed on the Rodgers alter - Quinnen or Lawson?

#122 ouchy, May 16, 2023
    Last edited: May 16, 2023
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

None of this is the issue.

He could have simply held out quietly and it would have STILL been picked up by the NY media without hurting his personal brand.

The social media antics is childish stuff and QW is beyond that. It’s obvious any average observer the Jets are working on their cap strategy to field a potential Super Bowl run caliber team.

If you go on social media - why not just say you want to be traded and be done with it. otherwise you’re bluffing and makes you look childish.

Centiment and KingRoach like this.
  4. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

I have no doubt he will be signed.
    Whoever is handling his social media needs a good look at themselves. "you have one job to do............"

5. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

n ah. use ignore for posters whose takes you usually dont like. cleaner.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  6. Losmeister

he wants Donald type money? he deserves a nice payday. but...ya wanna get paid like THE MAN, BE THE MAN, win NFL DPOY a couple times first

7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

What player or players not signed by Douglas were worth keeping? Q is a great player, but he’s not a centerpiece player. Before this past season he was very good, not great. Last year we had a large infusion of talent on D, not shockingly Qi’s numbers improved. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to see him play one more year at the level commensurate with the money he’s asking for. We can tag him next year and negotiate. If he’s mad and decides he wants to go somewhere else then great, that team can fork over 2 firsts.

8. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Dexter Lawrence was an All Pro last year.

Borat likes this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

He was a pro bowler, but not an all pro. Technically all pro refers to first team starters from the entire league, chosen by the AP. Last year only Q and Chris Jones made first team all pro.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Well, this is a perfect example of you going ahead and making something personal. I wasn't taking part in the discussion of dislike buttons, but you just had to go and bring me into it, didn't you? And you have done it in the dumbest way by once again repeating that old nonsense of my hating the Jets. That is something that is going on inside your mind (?), not mine. I have stated more than once that hate is a destructive emotion and to allow something like that to fester in one's mind is not part of my makeup, especially for something as inconsequential as a football team or any other entertainment product.

Now, there are people who thrive on hate and believe it is something inherent in everyone - it appears you may be a good candidate for such a thing. Or you may simply be confused that somehow not sharing the adoration, or even worship, that some here exhibit towards the Jets, all their players, and employees and decisions is somehow equivalent to hating them when in fact, it is simply a difference of opinion, one you cannot abide. That's too bad for you.

You could help make this venue a better place for all of us by simply discussing what's on your mind and not making guesses about what's going on in someone else's. I would definitely click the "DISLIKE" button on you here.

Borat likes this.
  11. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

So, what's the solution, just pay any player whatever he wants?

He won't hold out as he's under contract for this year (the 5th year option) and the penalties for holding out are massive (and I think they'd still own him for a year when he did come back). They can franchise him next year for $20 million or so (far less than his ask) - at that time he could refuse to sign the tender and hold out, but the last few people who tried that ended up far worse off (worse contract than was offered and lost a year of their career). They could also franchise him for a 2nd year at $24 million or so (120% of prior year franchise) and still pay him less than his ask. All without long term guarantees.

As for it being a bad look and players not wanting to play for the jets - JD did exactly this with Maye and, surprisingly, good players seem to be lining up to play for the Jets now (and, frequently, at a discount too). The Maye situation was even worse as Maye then had a very serious injury and JD didn't franchise him again and let him walk and he got much less money the next year from another team. JD's decision with Maye saved the Jets a lot of money and salary cap space.

This is just business as usual in the NFL and its good having a GM that doesn't cave to ridiculous contract demands and understands and uses the leverage he has.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no concern over this. The deal is basically done since Payne, Lawrence, and the guy on the Titans got their deals done (his name is slipping my mind right now). Q probably ends up with a little more money than all of them and less than Donald.

KY Jets Fan, Jets79 and stinkyB like this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

stinkyB likes this.
  17. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Personally I think we’re deep enough on the DL but I’d have no problems adding a psychopath to the unit.

18. Losmeister

sounds about right

19. ArodtoJennings

ArodtoJennings Active Member

You know what game still stings from last year was you guys beating us in Lambeau. You guys beat us up good.

20. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Man, can only imagine the fun it's going to be when GW and Sauce come up for their second contracts. That's assuming they both continue to perform at high levels, because they both had way better rookie seasons than Q did and look at the playbook he's using to leverage the team into a contract before his first is even up.

Having said that, he is def a big part of the future success here and want him signed long term. I do not believe he will be a Mo Wilk on his second contract...