Quinnen wants new contract before offseason programs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I can't believe reports about what's close or not. I am not going to be concerned on this matter. He gonna get paid

hornblower likes this.
  2. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I see a trade for 2 firsts or a franchise tag in his future!

Centiment, ouchy and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  3. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Trade him. Get the firsts and move on. He’s not AD.

Centiment, Jets69 and Red Menace like this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

So we're going into win-now mode but we're going to trade our best defensive player for future picks...

Sorry guys, not realistic.

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

My guess is they're finalizing Aaron Rodgers' contract situation first, which would make sense.

He may not be Aaron Donald, but he may have been the next best DT in the league last year. He is not easily replaceable so I'd absolutely take him over future picks. Plus, there's no way they're going all in with Aaron Rodgers and then trading a game-changing defender at a position with so little behind him no less

6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Not saying its going to happen but it did cross my mind we could see a trade for a player plus pick(s) especially a LT.

I kind of fantasized that the Steelers trade us Broderick Jones plus a #1 next year. Too much?

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It's pretty obvious they need to juggle around Rodgers contract before handing out any other big ones.... the dude needs to grow up, instead of publicly airing your emotional grievances like a teenage girl.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

9. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I think if that was the issue they would have told him and his agent that and he'd just be waiting.

I would guess the issue is that they can pay him $10 million for this year and then franchise him next year for around $20 million (assuming the DT non-exclusive franchise next year is only a little higher than this year). They can franchise him again in 2025 for $24 million (120% of prior year franchise). So you can get him for the next 3 years for $54 million or so vs the $75 million that would be from the $25 million/year rate. Also, if he gets seriously injured you can move on without any further guarantees (just don't franchise him for the following year). JD looks at these types of contracts this way and he plays hardball. We know that because that's exactly what happened with Maye. JD ran the numbers of what the cost would be to franchise Maye vs his demands and it was just cheaper to franchise him and when he got injured they just moved on. If they had signed Maye to a long term contract (i) they would have paid him more than they did and (ii) he'd still have had guaranteed money that the Jets had owed him and they wouldn't have been able to move on after he sustained that serious injury without eating the guarantees.

The penalties for a player holding out now are massive fines, so I doubt Quinnen holds out. Ultimately, the Jets hold all the cards here and JD doesn't overpay. From JD's perspective, Quinnen would get serious guarantees from a multi-year deal and he doesn't see why he should have to overpay to give Quinnen those guarantees. Ultimately, Quinnen's must choose between signing a JD muti-year contract or having to play well and without significant injury to get a long-term deal in a future year from the Jets or someone else and continue with the risk that even if he does everything well and has no serious injury, the Jets might just franchise him again and at significantly less than he'd get in the free agent market.

We also really don't know whether the coaching staff believes Q is worth his ask. They might not. Bear in mind that while Q played very well this past year, in prior years he was not the player he was last year and last year he was surrounded by a very good DLine and that good dline would surround whoever they brought in to replace him also. JD might think that they could replace him at significantly less than his asking price.

10. BrooklynJetsFan

JD would trade and get a pieces plus a LT for QW.

11. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Just pay the dude, blank check, so he can vanish on field

Centiment likes this.
  12. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I love Q... but the reality is that he's had one really good season.

I wonder what the Jets are offering... because the market is set for premium interior linemen... and that's low to mid 20's.

Borat likes this.
  14. BrooklynJetsFan

Yea, but make the math work with Rodgers on the books now.

Win-now means we need quality depth to make a deep push in the postseason.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Agreed. The market was set, and Q looks to be in 23-25 mil range.

However, the report above suggests he wants 25-30. If it is 25, then he has a point. But what if it is 30? I mean he is under contract for this year regardless. Market is set at 23-25. If Q wants more, he is going to have to play out his 5th year contract and we will go from there. There is simply no reason for JD to bend over and overpay at this stage.

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It ain't my money... but I'd be fine if they paid him 25-27 mil as long as he kept performing on the field.

But everyone's replaceable... ;)

17. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Pro sports are getting pretty hard to respect. He’s still in under contract, and throwing a tantrum over a difference of money that most of us will never see. And we cheer it on

18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Dude, let him bitch. He goes into this season under contract. Next year we’ll franchise and trade him. Problem solved. We draft QW clones over and over. We’ll find another.

Centiment likes this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He'll hold out this year if he doesn't get a deal, I am pretty sure of that after seeing shit with his Twitter profile. He can literally hold the team's short-lived championship hopes -- which are pretty much dependant on the defense holding the house together while the offense gets their feet under them -- completely hostage. Unless they want to pull the bad-look move of tossing out one of the league's elite good guys because he wanted to get compensated for being the Jets defensive MVP.

That defense without Quinnen was only a shadow of what it is with him. Get the Rodgers deal done and then get this guy locked up. The time to trade your elite is over, make the billionaire open his wallet.

#99 abyzmul, May 15, 2023
    Last edited: May 15, 2023
  20. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

The Jets could fuck up a free lunch.