Zack Wilson's 5th year....yay or nay?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 6, 2023.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Let's see how this season plays out.

We have plenty of time to evaluate our young QB.

If Rodgers misses any game time we will get some valuable data.

2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

because MLF is cheap, Zach is not.

stinkyB likes this.
  3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

No chance. I could see the argument if he's shown anything, but he really hasn't. And unless Rodgers gets hurt, he probably wont show anything in the next two years. There is no way you exercise the option not having seen him play in real games in two years.

Out of 33 QBs, here is where Zach ranked in some important stats:

Completion% - 33rd
    TD% - 32nd
    INT% - 28th
    Yards/Attempt - 18th
    Yards/Game - 26th
    Yards/Completion - 2nd (this was surprising)

He ranked at the bottom of a few others, but I didnt think I needed to mention all of them.

There is a legitimate argument that he was not placed in the best position to succeed by the Jets. Having said that, the above stats are unacceptable for a number two overall pick in his second year.

Is there any sort of precedent for a QB with similar stats having his option picked up? Darnold is one I guess, but he probably wouldn't have, if he was with the Jets.

Jets79 likes this.
  4. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

1) Zach is in the exact system he was supposed to thrive in. A west coast style offense, He won’t be better in any other one. So it’s unlikely he goes anywhere else and outperforms

2) Zach is here because of the cap hit, comparing him to MLF situation is apples to oranges.

3) JD saw an opportunity to get Hackett who Rodgers beloves, Rodgers aint playing with MLF as OC. nothing to do with JD or Zach, ownership wanted Rodgers.

stinkyB and Jets79 like this.
  5. BrooklynJetsFan

It’s well documented Zach was slow with his read in college. There’s an entire Yt video pre-draft stating this and saying why he shouldn’t be drafted and has high likelihood of bust. with videos of the bad throws.

But You believe what you want to believe. Eye test was clear Zach played against weak competition in a covid year, that really meant nothing.

Jets79, stinkyB, abyzmul and 2 others like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, it isn't. I never saw said video, but even if it exists,what one person says in a YouTube video doesn't make it true. Any knucklehead with a video camera can make a YouTube video.

You believe what you want to believe even though it's a bunch of bunk that makes zero sense and is not what happened when Zach was at BYU. You couldn't be any more wrong that the WCO is the offense that he was supposed to thrive in. If it's supposedly true that Zach was slow with his reads in college, then that makes zero sense that he would be a great fit in the WCO since the WCO requires that a QB make good, quick reads and gets the ball out quickly. If he struggled with reads in college, he wasn't going to be any quicker going against more complex, and better-disguised coverages in the NFL. If Zach was thought to be a good fit for the WCO, it was more than just his quick release and arm talent. It must have also been his film study, ability to read Ds, extend plays, and create.

I found the video that I think you were talking about. To begin with, who is "Thinking Football" and what are their credentials? Second, the video spends the first few minutes raving about how his good, quick reads, then takes a 180 degree turn and spends a chunk of the video saying he has slow processing. You can't have it both ways. If he can make good, quick reads on some plays, then you can't claim that he is slow processing and can't make good, quick reads. There has to be another factor that causes those slow reads and hesitation in throwing the ball. Yes, Zach's hesitating and holding the ball led to additional pressure, but his rookie season, his OL was pretty darned bad, and he didn't have a lot of talent around him on offense. He had a lot of passes dropped, he was under constant pressure, and probably lost some confidence, that would lead to being hesitant and holding onto the ball. He was afraid of making a mistake rather than just playing loose and free. He was having to think too much. For the narrator then to try to go back and claim that he processing problems at BYU is utter nonsense and a total fabrication. Not one of the top media experts EVER made that claim prior to the draft or since.

As a matter of fact, Zach was often ahead of his coaches at BYU asking questions about the offense and opposing Ds, that the CS wasn't ready to answer, and he was known for his film study of opponents, so it's utter nonsense that he was known to be slow with his reads in college.

You think he's a bust, and have an agenda, and you found a video on YouTube that you think justifies and supports you in your agenda. Congratulations!

#66 NCJetsfan, May 10, 2023
    Last edited: May 10, 2023
    burf, KingRoach and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums it up.

stinkyB likes this.
  8. BrooklynJetsFan

Ok, what offense can Zach thrive in? He can't sit and drop back and analyze coverages in time before the protection breaks down – fleeing the pocket? He can't make consistent accurate quick passes to the slants or flats i.e (WCO)? He can't outrun defenders? So what is it? I mean he can only literally rollout and throw a deep ball.

Mike White came in and threw for 300yds+ (two seasons it happened). We all saw this happen. Again, you believe what you want. the facts are the facts.

9. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

NC, just so I'm clear. Specifically and only on the "easy" throws that Zach has consistently struggled on his first 2 seasons as a pro.

Can we agree that those specifically are not LaFleurs fault? And can we also agree that this consistent "yips" issue has REALLY not helped matters the last two seasons?

10. NCJetsfan

No, I'm sorry but we cannot agree on that point. How can you or anyone realistically even begin to think that when MLF was the main coach responsible for teaching and working with Zach? There's no way that one can realistically remove MLF from the equation. Zach missed the throws, but no one intentionally develops a case of the yips or has any control over that. Blaming Zach for having the yips isn't realistic or just.

Everything is connected. If the coaching, the way he was handled, the offensive scheme, play calling, etc. put more pressure on Zach and had a negative impact on him, then it had an impact on every aspect of his play, because it had an impact on his self confidence.

Zach did not have problems with easy throws at BYU. He was a very accurate QB, the 2nd most accurate QB in the country his Jr. season at BYU. There has to be a reason that he developed the yips on those throws. More than likely it's on MLF for any number of reasons. It could be because of his supposed negativity, for not adapting the offense to fit Zach, for putting too much on Zach's plate at one time, for not being positive/creative and not really teaching Zach, for not helping him learn and grow while remaining relaxed and confident, and for not calling plays in games in a way to help him succeed in games. More than likely, it's some of each of those things.

Expecting a rookie QB to start and play well while changing his mechanics and completely changing the way he plays the position and not lose confidence is ludicrous and unrealistic. We humans all have our needs, and we react better to some people and some situations than we do others. We learn better and perform better when we are relaxed and confident. We have little control over that, it's human nature. It is up to the CS to understand the players under their charge, know how to reach them, how to handle/teach them in the most effective way, and not put too much pressure on them, so they can remain confident and perform at a high level. They have to be part psychologist. That is totally on the CS, not the players.

Of course the consistent "yips" has not helped anything the last two seasons. We can definitely agree on that, but again, the yips are not Zach's fault.

#70 NCJetsfan, May 10, 2023
    Last edited: May 11, 2023
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. BrooklynJetsFan

Ultimately, you're right. He needs to get back the hot girlfriend that called him a MLF lover and start hanging out on the weekends with Rodgers in Malibu with the crystals and ayushacha. Problem solved!

I SEE YOU JD....

dmw and stinkyB like this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

you forgot 4 days locked in a dark cave....

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Honestly, ayahuasca and a dark cave of reflection would probably do the kid a world of good.

dmw, KingRoach and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It might do some of the posters here who think they know more than Douglas even more good.

burf, KingRoach and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I doubt it. Some of the crap I see posted here is totally laughable, lacking in any understanding and reality, yet they think they're so smart and right.

KingRoach likes this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Posters who are actively dying on the Zach Wilson hill, literally every day, probably shouldn't throw stones.

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

"I don't care what the running game is doing. If I wanted to watch a team try to win by running the ball and playing D, I'd become a Titans fan.

If they plan on being primarily a running offense, they shouldn't have drafted Zach, because they're wasting his talents and only going to frustrate him. They should have traded down and taken Mac Jones. If they do plan on primarily being a rushing offense, I hope that Zach will ask for a trade this offseason and the Jets will grant it. Then I can bid adieu to the insanity that is the NY Jets, and can go root for Zach on his new team. Heck, Rex allowed the offense to pass the ball more than Saleh and MLF are. Right now, I hate both of them (Saleh and MLF) and hate the Jets' offense"

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Where? I'd like to see that.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Orrrrrr…. Douglas might be furious with himself for picking Zach in the first place. You so desperately want to place the blame on anyone but Zach. To answer your question, they’re hanging onto him because he’d be a massive dead money hit against the cap. They’re openly stating they believe he can be a #1 QB in the league because he’s on the roster, and it’s not a good look to badmouth your own players. A better question you should ask yourself- if the Jets were given a one time window to cut Zach without any dead money hitting the cap, would they? The answer is you bet your ass they would.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  20. BrooklynJetsFan