Corey Davis isn't getting cut

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, May 5, 2023.

1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

My bads meant 10 months.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

IDK why people think 11 mil is a lot for a WR?

top WRs are getting 25-30 mil
    Other WR1s are getting 18-20+
    WR2s are getting 12-15mil
    WR3s are getting 8-12mil
    WR4s are getting 4-6 mil

Davis at 11mil is in the low end 2 high end 3 field which is more then fair for a guy who is 1000 yard capable in the right offense. Lazard is getting the same 11mil/year and produced less so far.
    Not to mention the WR room has a "rookie boost" becuase wilson is perofmring like a 20mil+ WR but getting paid half that on his rookie deal so we have more to spend there. and rodgers is playing for pennies because he's worth 40-50mil easily and is playing for a couple mil so why not shower him with weapons for that? no reason to cut davis. we need him. he's a solid WR.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

In my mind we got a strong group of WRs and RBs and TEs with YAC capability for AR, plus a couple of future starters probably going to the PS. All of them might perform a bit better under AR and no one will see double teams consistently, especially good for Wilson. Pretty great way to start the season.

4. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I always thought he'd only be released if the Jets thought they could bring in an immediate upgrade. He's the 20th highest paid receiver. I'd say in that sense, he's slightly overpaid, but its not like this egregious contract.

I think Wilson/Davis/Lazard/Hardman is a pretty good top 4, but its not so good that the Jets can just get rid of Davis and be unaffected.

Not to mention he walks at the end of the year, and the Jets will almost certainly get a comp pick. I wouldn't be shocked if that played into this as well. Same with Carl Lawson.

Play for a year, ball out with Rodgers, Jets hopefully get a third for the 2025 draft.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Guys playing for the next contract are the ones you want on your team if you're going "all-in" ;)

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I remember talking about rather keeping Corey Davis over signing OBJ and people thought I was crazy. Now, with the money OBJ got, I still stand by that. Corey Davis at $11 million is better value than OBJ at $18 million.

Davis' issues are drops and injuries. Besides that, he is solid #2 WR. With a roster that has Garrett Wilson, Allen Lazard, Hardman and Cobb, it is great depth. Maybe the best the Jets have had in my lifetime.

tomdeb, NCJetsfan and BrooklynJetsFan like this.