Quinnen wants new contract before offseason programs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I get the franchise tag options and all of that, but at some point if you say you want to build a culture and build it through the draft, you have first start hitting on your picks and then secondly, you have to actually keep your picks

this is where I wouldn’t want to be penny wise and pound foolish

Q is central to our D, he’s as good or better than all those guys in comparison, he’s a good kid, and we saw how our D was way worse without him in there

jeez let’s not cut our nose off to spite our face. How about we keep the players we draft when we actually draft good ones. You want to build a culture where players want to be here, you need to reward your own when they deliver.

If you wait too long, the market gets set for you…like the Giants just did with Dexter. It is what it is. If you wait and franchise him you will likely alienate him and it’ll likely cost more in the end.

just get it done…

2. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

We're going to have some interesting decisions to make over the next few years - finding so many talented rookies in the last few drafts is obviously good, but we won't be able to give them all the huge second contracts they will merit. We are going to have to decide who to trade and who to keep.

3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Q is the one thing Maccagnan did right, time for JD to break out the checkbook.

TheCleaner and Nyjets4eva like this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The market is set which means someone is being stupid. Hopefully whichever side is holding this up gets over themselves by the end of July.

hornblower and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

When Revis held out into camp/preseason, he had a hamstring a third of the way through the season. Since the market is really set, Q's agent is probably asking for the moon at this point.

8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

hornblower and ouchy like this.
  9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

The market seems pretty close to set at this point. I can't imagine JD isn't willing to go a bit above Simmons and Lawrence.

I assume Quinnen is looking for closer to Donald money. There is going to need to be a compromise somewhere, because I don't think JD is paying him that kind of money.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Jets moved him at some point for a couple firsts.

Hopefully the deal gets done though, I'd really like to have him here.

Nyjets4eva and Losmeister like this.
  10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

An elite player is elite no matter the talent around him. Q has always been good, but he hasn’t been elite until he had tons of talent around him. Paying Q in the ballpark of Aaron Donald means you’re sacrificing at every other Defensive position. We’ve had great DT’s for years that have never resulted in actual wins. Q s absolutely amongst the best DT’e in the league, but he doesn’t carry Aaron Donald’s presence on the field. Paying Q Aaron Donald money could cost us a guy like Sauce, or it could mean we can’t afford to add elite pieces around the rest of them. I hate giving DT’s their big 2nd contract, they almost never live up to it.

Centiment, SOJAZ and RochesterJet like this.
  11. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

quality post, man. quality

12. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

13. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I hate stuff like this. It feels childish. But, social media is the world we live in now so it is what it is. Just another sign that I'm getting old.

Not Sure, Brook!, hornblower and 3 others like this.
  14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Quinnen is not patient, he wants to get paid as he should. I also don't know what the Jets are waiting on. Is it June 1st cap ramifications?

I dont want this to be another Jamal Adam's situation because Q was the first pillar for our turnaround and we need him

15. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

16. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I have no time for this. Honestly I have no problem trading Quinnen away. None. He’s not a centerpiece player, Sauce is. He has his biggest effect when players around him are great. When they’re not, Q is still very good but nothing that can’t be replaced. Draft DT high once every 4 years, then trade them for a haul when they’re contract is coming due and let some other team shoulder the massive cap hit. Then draft another. It’s the easiest position to scout and predict success at in the draft.

17. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

His agent is getting nervous.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Probably waiting for the Aaron Rodgers restructure to be done, to know what the future cap actually looks like.

Ralebird, stinkyB and Poeman like this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think you gotta be concerned about this situation. It doesnt sound like they are close to any deal. He's going to rightfully want a lot and I dont think the Jets will have it.

The time to extend him favorably was last offseason, not this offseason and certain not next offseason before he hits the market

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I sure hope so, does feel that way