Mekhi Becton - 5th Year Option Watch - Jets Declined

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 30, 2023.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I don't see Becton as the type who balls out in a contract year and then loafs.

2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

It’s like as soon as we declined his 5th year he went right back to his big baby attitude.

Lon Chaney and dmw like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Somebody get that man in front of a locker room mirror, stat.

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Really? I think he’s exactly that kind of player. Put it this way…he’s not the kind who lives and breathes this stuff…always working out, always watching film, etc. There are some players you can’t keep away. He’s never been that. He got way out of shape, he acts like a little petulant child on social media, etc.

At least that’s what we see. We saw a guy miss all year on an injury that was supposedly an 8 week deal. Now who knows, injuries are different for everyone. But he wasn’t at the facility…he was on his own wherever he lives, and he didn’t look to be in great shape either.

So hard to know a guys heart and mind as I don’t know him, never met the man, etc. But from the optics…this has not been a guy who lives eats and breathes football, who is the first at the facility and the last to leave, who shows up to every voluntary camp. He just hasn’t been that guy.

So I’d be wary to give him a huge deal. To me, he has to play this year, stay healthy, and ball out. If he earns it, great. But no way would I be rushing to exercise his option, which I’m glad we did not do…

We’ll see. I thought he was very good his rookie year when he played, so I hope he can get back on the field and dominate.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

6. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Seriously What are you talking about. You work at 1 Jets Drive or something?

7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Don't these kids get any training in how to present themselves? Take out the periods and exclamation points and that statement is much less problematic.

"I am a left tackle."

Sounds positive, confident, no hint of attitude.

"I. Am. A. Left. Tackle!!!' is a totally different story. Whatever you mean by a tweet or a post, you have to be savvy enough to see how it will be viewed by others. This guys just seems like a huge idiot.

Jets81, dmw, NCJetsfan and 1 other person like this.
  8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

No, it's more likely he just loafs all the time.

9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

There's no doubt in my mind that a healthy, motivated Mekhi Becton is the best tackle on the team. All else equal he would be the starting LT.

Having said that, all else is not equal. He's a crazy injury risk, and he seems like he's still fairly immature. This time around he seems to be in much better shape, and seems to have a chip on his shoulder. Hopefully he goes out and earns the job.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I love it when guys have a 'chip on their shoulder' because they have been rightly criticised for lack of performance.

abyzmul likes this.
  11. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Thankfully, we don't get to decide what motivates a player. As long as it gets him playing well, I don't care what motivates him.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Just saw the following article on Heavy on the Jets. Granted, they're a rag, but it sounds more positive, like Becton has done some growing up, and is making necessary changes.

Jets First Rounder Sends Passionate Message, Opens Up About ‘Dark Place’

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/mekhi-becton-nfl-rumors/

A few excerpts:

and

and

Borat and Mogriffjr like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the time for talk is over. If 2023 is his year then prove it. sick of Becton's mouth

Cman68, AG3 and abyzmul like this.
  14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

This is going to be his last year with the Jets so let's hope we get something out of him. The only way he's back next year is if the Jets tag him and even at that they might tag and trade him. But I see no future here with the Jets. He hates the team and the fanbase and I believe the team is probably done with him.

Brook! and Cman68 like this.
  15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Best case scenario: he’s a beast and a key player in our Super Bowl run. Another team throws a trillion dollars at him in the offseason, he leaves and reverts to pre-SB run, making Joe look like a genius.

I have no confidence in this guy having a good career of any kind, let alone one in the NFL.

16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Joe is banking him playing hungry for that next contract and not twinkies.... (Muhammad Wilkerson)

Worst case, I'm sure the guy can always get some side gigs pushing trucks for car dealership commercials....

Losmeister likes this.
  17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Best case is he does what you say and we either tag him and have him play for another contract or tag and trade him for some draft picks.

KingRoach likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spot on, best case is he shows he is the player Joe was banking on and then some. The rest are BS scenarios for those that have written him off already based on his injury, no matter what he does this year. I’m not looking forward to another draft focused once again with another tackle with the first pick. And even if that was the case, we still want Becton to be a top starter. We need to continue to strengthen the entire critical mass with the draft. The more our young players succeed the better off we are. That is the best possible scenario.

Losmeister, Brook!, KingRoach and 2 others like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

IMO the best case scenario is that Becton stays healthy, keeps his mouth shut, beats out Brown for the LT spot, the Jets re-sign him, he is our starting LT for the next 10 years, becomes a perennial All Pro LT and has a HOF career.

NY Jets68 and LAJet like this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Im 100% on board with that.